Dream vs conquest February 2019

Jrw118

Hello, Thanks for taking the time to read my post.

We are considering 2 cruises. Not sure which is the best option for us. We have never cruised before. We have previously booked a cruise but were unable to go.

1) conquest 2/16/19 8 day (Grand Turk, St Kitts, San Juan, St Maarten) eastern Caribbean out of Ft Lauderdale.

2) Dream 2/17/19 7 day Western (grand Cayman, Cozumel, Jamaica)

Prices are very similar, the Dream being about $100 cheaper.

I have 2 boys 10 & 13 years old. Their entertainment is priority. They are competitive swimmers so any water activities are a plus.

It depends what you are looking for. I'll actually be on that exact itinerary, just not that exact same time. With that said, I chose it because I haven't done that route yet.

For me, 1 extra day of vacation and 1 extra port are the biggest deal breakers that might make me go Conquest. The Dream will have a pinch more options aboard, but the Conquest is no slouch.

I don't know if you plan to spend anytime around the port before you cruise. Lauderdale would probably be a better scene for young boys vs New Orleans.

Your boys ages automatically having me choose the Dream for the Waterworks. The Conquest hasn’t been updated in that area. They won’t be able to use that “competitive swimming” since the pools aren’t really big enough. The Dream itinerary was my girls first cruise and they LOVED it. We ziplined in Jamaica. We had an awesome beach day in Cayman. And in Cozumel we went to Paradise Beach where they played on the inflatables and kayaked and swam.

Hello, Thanks for taking the time to read my post.

We are considering 2 cruises. Not sure which is the best option for us. We have never cruised before. We have previously booked a cruise but were unable to go.

1) conquest 2/16/19 8 day (Grand Turk, St Kitts, San Juan, St Maarten) eastern Caribbean out of Ft Lauderdale.

2) Dream 2/17/19 7 day Western (grand Cayman, Cozumel, Jamaica)

Prices are very similar, the Dream being about $100 cheaper.

I have 2 boys 10 & 13 years old. Their entertainment is priority. They are competitive swimmers so any water activities are a plus.

Dream is a nicer and newer ship.

I have been on Conquest, she is a good ship. I have been on Dream, she is a great ship. Dream is far superior when looking at dining options, entertainment, and activities. Being a significantly larger ship, I think there will be more going on on Dream for your boys (and you!), but the wife and I do not have kids, so I cannot speak on this from experience.

One day longer on Conquest is compelling, but... they are both basically week long cruises. The itinerary looks better on Conquest, but I would always recommend against cruising for the specific ports. They are fine to look forward to and all, but if anything goes wrong, ports and itineraries can be dropped or changed. Cost may or may not be a factor for you, but is an extra day worth an additional $100 for you, and did you price out port fees and gratuities with that? Maybe you already did, but it is something worth considering. Also, travel costs worth thinking about. The wife and I live in Michigan, so airfare, hotel, etc. to get TO the cruise has often been a strong factor for us.

If your boys enjoy water activities, Conquest has pools and a couple of water slides but Dream has a slightly more elaborate "water park" set up with better slides, and a few other water related things. What port is Dream sailing from? If Galveston, there is a rather famous water park in the home port, and coming in a day early might make up for the extra day on Conquest, as well as give you some "wiggle room" in the event of a delayed flight. I know Dream is eventually going to reposition from new Orleans to Galveston, but I am not sure when.

Obviously, I am biased towards Dream in your case, but as others will say, these decisions are very subjective. I am actually sailing that exact itinerary on Dream next week! Also, competitive swimming is an awesome sport for your boys! Back when I was in High School (20 or so years ago and 50 pounds lighter), that was my life. The benefits from swimming will stay with them for life!

Jrw118

Welcome to cruising!

A newer does not necessarily mean a better ship.

The Dream is an overcrowded ship with two small pools. With this enormous crowd, you'll be able to stand in the pools, not to swim:

4011.jpg

The pools on the Conquest are the same size but there will be 600 less of those who want to stand in them.

The Conquest is less crowded, more pleasant ship to cruise.

But the Dream has two advantages:

1. Better spa with an extensive Thermal Suite

2. Much more advanced water slides.

So....

As your boys want to swim, your first option will be beautiful Caribbean beaches, not miserable pools filled to capacity with drunk sweaty bodies.

Look at the itinerary first.

I will suggest a few options to consider with their pros and cons.

First of all, stay away from that cruise on the Dream. This cruise may turn your off cruising forever.

Your options can be (random order, not by priority):

7 Days Caribbean-Western

Carnival Cruise Line • Carnival Magic

Miami, Grand Cayman, Mahogany Bay Roatan, Belize City, Cozumel, Miami

Departure date: Feb 17 2019

About the same price.

Pros and cons vs your cruise on the Dream:

Same ship (a sister ship)

Four ports. One additional port is a plus, but it's not the best itinerary overall.

7 Days Caribbean-Western

Norwegian Cruise Line • Norwegian Getaway

Miami, Roatan, Harvest Caye, Costa Maya, Cozumel, Miami

Departure dates: Feb 17, 2019

Price - more, but not too much more.

This is a better option vs the cruise on the Dream.

More entertaining ship, much better food (note that it's a norm to book specialty restaurants on NCL - this is the way to cruise on NCL, it's a must - that's why I pointed out somewhat higher price). Absolutely thrilling water slides. Better shows. This is a crowded ship too. The itinerary is better - more opportunities to enjoy beaches (Roatan, Harvest Caye - private island, Cozumel).

7 Days Caribbean-Western

Holland America Line • ms Nieuw Amsterdam

Fort Lauderdale, Half Moon Cay, Ocho Rios, Cayman/George Town, Cozumel, Fort Lauderdale

1 departure date: Feb 17 2019

I include this cruise for you to consider.

Pros

Top best of the best 7-day itinerary for those looking for Caribbean beaches - 4 (!) resort beach islands. HMC is the single best private resort island in the industry. Cayman - Royal Palms Beach is a few minutes from the port on a taxi.

Ocho Rios - the beach is within walking distance. Cozumel - quite a few beaches to choose from (more distant, research is required).

A 5* ship - most comfortable and relaxing ship in the Caribbean.

Current prices are higher, but note that the 3rd and 4th passenger in the cabin may sail free (check the current offers). A cruise on this luxury ship may cost you less that on Carnival or MSC!

This ship has extra large inside cabins - top value for money.

Cons (for you)

The ship is the most romantic, a private yacht feel - this is where its entertainment comes from. This is the most valuable kind of entertainment as it's only available on classy ships at sea. But this is not a "typical fun" for kids. There are pools but no water slides.

However I would prefer a day on a Caribbean island to any water slides on a ship.

7 Days Caribbean-Western

Royal Caribbean Int. • Allure of the Seas

Miami, Nassau, Cozumel, Roatan, Costa Maya, Miami

1 departure date: Feb 17 2019

Pros

This is a floating city - the most entertaining ship at sea. None of your original options come close to any extent.

This cruise will cost you more but it's worth it. Four port on this ship is a rare case. Normally they do three ports only.

Remember that the largest Royal Caribbean ships is the first choice for families with kids (from 3-4 y.o.), but their itineraries are likely to be the worst (not in this case!)

If you can afford the price difference - go for it. The difference in the experience is tremendous.

Cons

Price

These are the options that I was able to find for you.

IMO any of these options will bring you far better cruising experience than the original two.

Have a fantastic cruise vacation!

Thank you so much for the very detailed response. I truly appreciate it. I will research the cruises you listed.

Jrw118

First of all, stay away from that cruise on the Dream. This cruise may turn your off cruising forever.

'

ronbe65,

You mentioned to stay away from the Dream....You did not say the same for the Conquest. I am still leaning toward the Conquest ( Although the Allure (RCI) is quite tempting but almost 2x the money). Would you still consider the Conquest?

I think this is an easy, easy call. Conquest east on the 8 day. While I've not sailed on her specifically, she's part of a Class that was probably Carnival's most popular and successful (interestingly, called the Conquest class as she was the first in a line of several similar ships built in the 2000s). And they've updated her recently such that she no longer lags some of her slightly newer sister ships in terms of amenities.

Let me add JRW that each different cruise line has a completely different feel. Carnival and HAL, owned by the same company mind you, are 180 degrees different from each other catering to two completely different clientele groups. Understand that before you choose a line. It's like saying 'I want to go to a concert' and choosing between a rap show and the symphony.

Edited by jsglow

For what it's worth, I've cruised on the Conquest once and on the Dream three times - and will be leaving for a fourth cruise on the Dream in a few weeks. We've been on a few other ships too - the Elation, Disney Dream, Disney Magic, Freedom of the Seas and Navigator of the Seas. We also have two girls (ages 12 and 14 now) who are very much into athletics, but not swimming. (The younger does cross country and basketball and the older soccer and basketball).

We normally cruise out of New Orleans, because that's the most convenient port for us. So the majority of our trips have been to the Western Caribbean. But, we've been on Eastern cruises too. If it's your first cruise, I think you will enjoy either itinerary a lot. The Eastern ports are nicer in some ways, but if you've never been to either and have nothing to compare it to - the Western itinerary will probably not disappoint. I say probably, because I know cruising isn't for everyone. But if that's the case, I really doubt you would be wowed by the Eastern ports, and let down by the Western ports. Grand Cayman is just as nice as any of the Eastern ports and Jamaica and Cozumel are both fun stops and have lots of great options for an active family to do. So, while I did like going to the Eastern ports slightly more than the Western ports - for my family, the ease of cruising out of New Orleans easily trumps the added expense/hassle of getting to a port in Florida where we can take an Eastern cruise.

As far as the pools on the Dream being crowded - that is absolutely the case. But, they're no different than any other ship I've ever been on. We never bother with the pools on any cruise. If shipboard pools are a big draw for you, I would recommend against cruising all together.

While I'll agree with Mister about traveling for the first time and therefore liking all ports, I will tell you that those scheduled for the Dream don't hold a candle to those scheduled for the Conquest. I too enjoy the western ports but your particular cruise doesn't hit the very best whereas the eastern trip you have planned is excellent in terms of what is possible on a 8 day out of Florida. If WHERE you go is important, this choice isn't even close.

I am going to completely disagree with the above poster about the crowd situations. I have not been on the Conquest but I have been on the Valor which is a sister ship to the Conquest with a nearly identical layout and I have been on the same western Caribbean itinerary you are looking at on the Dream.

I found the Dream to be less crowded. I think it was because the waterworks area, which has some good waterslides, offers an additional option for kids and the hot tubs on deck 5 offer additional options for everyone.

The Dream has a much bigger area in the interior of the ship known as ocean plaza that handles the activities such as trivia and sometimes a band that makes that area much less crowded than when they have the same activities along the promenade on the Conquest class ships.

As far as cabins go, you won't notice much of a difference with the basic cabin layouts for most of the cabins. However the Dream does offer a few additional options the Conquest does not. Those include the deluxe oceanview staterooms which have an additional washroom area with a sink and a small tub/shower. Dream also has cove balconies which are more private that regular balconies and come at a lower cost.

All that being said, I think your family will love either cruise, and both are really good ships. I became hooked on cruising on the Valor and took my Mom the next year on her first cruise on the Dream and now she is hooked. We are both booked this year on the Dream.

I would look at travel costs to each, I know getting to New Orleans is a drive for me versus a flight to Miami but I am not sure of your situation. And feel free to hit me up with any more questions, especially about the Dream or that itinerary since I was on it last fall.