Carnival Pride review, July 4th week!

LongHill44

Tips: Some in my crew felt the 15% added to your bill may be too high if the actual workers arenot getting the full 15%. In speaking with our waiter and cabin steward, it turns out that they actually prefer cash,so we took those two off our bill and paid both the same amount but in cash. Both were extremely grateful and I will not repeat what they stated to me on here, but they see a fraction of that 15%, and have to pay taxes on what little they get after Carnival takes their share.

Tips are a flat daily fee, not a percentage. And Carnival does not "steal" any of the money collected for tips. It is distributed in a manner that Carnival publishes for everyone to see.

A percentage tip is added for beverage purchases, that is not covered by the daily amount Carnival collects.

Other than the fact that the employees likely pay taxes on their tip income, your assessment is incorrect.

Like I said, we removed all cost, be it their flat rate or the recommended 15% on some services. We paid everyone in cash and both of the people I spoke with said that they do not get the full rate and that even what they do get is taxed....

And despite a hundred plus posts on here before your cruise, you clearly did exactly as you pleased and not as advised. When you removed your tips and put them to the 2 or 3 people you saw, you screwed the 100s of others behind the scenes, working the buffets, doing laundry etc that now got nothing. Congratulations.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I personnally removed 3 nights of dining team (we had YTD, 3 x 6.40$) because we ate at Steakhouse or Seafood Shack or Cucina. I dont consider myself cheap...

I consider you cheap. I am sure you ate the rest of the day and there were people behind the scenes that worked to prepare your food that you failed to pay. The staff at Cucina and Seafood shack gets paid out of that money too. All for less than $20....

People are so disappointing.

Thanks for writing this review. Do you remember the name of the beach you went to in Freeport? I am looking for a place to swim and get some beach chairs.

Thanks!

Taino Beach, cost 5 bucks to get in and they left you use some paddle boars or kayaks for free but they have tons of water activities for a price as well as a bar and place to eat.

Very nice beach

And despite a hundred plus posts on here before your cruise, you clearly did exactly as you pleased and not as advised. When you removed your tips and put them to the 2 or 3 people you saw, you screwed the 100s of others behind the scenes, working the buffets, doing laundry etc that now got nothing. Congratulations.

Not so, tips and cost are RECOMMENDED on everything but Cheers. Some people tip NOTHING!

I actually gave my waiter a tip in front of his female helper and the steward was cleaning the room next to mine while his coworker was cleaning the bathroom and I tipped him in front of his coworker. I would be shocked if they didn't share but that if not, oh well.

Not so, tips and cost are RECOMMENDED on everything but Cheers. Some people tip NOTHING!

I actually gave my waiter a tip in front of his female helper and the steward was cleaning the room next to mine while his coworker was cleaning the bathroom and I tipped him in front of his coworker. I would be shocked if they didn't share but that if not, oh well.

And some people are ultra cheap. Some people just cheap. And some people misguided because they think they are doing a good thing but really stuffing a huge part of the staff that have provided them service.

As I said - over 100 threads - I was one of the people that repeatedly answered questions in an attempt to help but it quickly became obvious you didn’t really wish to learn but get the answers you wanted.

I know just what to do with you...

And some people are ultra cheap. Some people just cheap. And some people misguided because they think they are doing a good thing but really stuffing a huge part of the staff that have provided them service.

As I said - over 100 threads - I was one of the people that repeatedly answered questions in an attempt to help but it quickly became obvious you didn’t really wish to learn but get the answers you wanted.

I know just what to do with you...

WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE?

I asked questions to see how others do it and to make my own judgement. Just because you give advise do not mean it is the Bible, WOW. And as I noted it, the workers I spoke to all said CASH IS KING, like I always said. Again, I am a good soul who feels these workers will take care of those that need be...……….

Just some advice, don't be offended when others DO NOT take you advice...…….

Yep, you're cheap. I hope if you cruise again you'll have learned all you need to from this cruise. Or at least learned to post 20 questions in a single thread instead of making one thread for each question and cluttering up the board then waiting for the ONE poster to post the answer you're looking for instead of listening to the 40 other posters who disagree with your final decision.

I'm with A&J...

Nope, I will do as I please, this is a message board in which people, GULP, ask questions!

And yes, if you the same question over a several week period, odds are you will get many different opinions and answers, along with the miserable whiners like yourself.

As I noted, a informative and active message board like this is in place to ask a questions. Just because it may seem repetitive or stupid to you and a few others, doesn't mean the one asking the question should be shamed upon.

Like you in this thread, you have nothing positive, constructive or worthwhile to add to my honest review of the Pride and what I did there. Either add something to the thread or don't respond...……. Your poor hubby

To OP

You took the time to write a fair and balanced review. Not really sure why you had to add the last paragraph about tipping. Perhaps you added that last paragraph knowing it is a hot button topic and would lead to criticism and debate.

To OP

You took the time to write a fair and balanced review. Not really sure why you had to add the last paragraph about tipping. Perhaps you added that last paragraph knowing it is a hot button topic and would lead to criticism and debate.

No, I added it because that was part of my review. Several people were taking those costs off their bill throughout the whole week We were the third group in my own party to do so and I only did so after speaking with my waiter and my room steward.

This is a review of my trip and what we did. Obviously many do not even tip, others tip minimal yet others tip the same as Carnival, just in cash

I think most folks understand the tipping of the behind the scenes and how someone is taxed is not my business. I prepay my tips and think of them as part of my cruise cost. I know it can be an expense when traveling with children but again part of the cost of cruising.

If you felt your waitstaff and stewards were being short changed why not leave the auto tips and add a little extra cash?

Thanks for the review. I too felt the Pride was run down a little in 2016 but I am sailing her again in less than 100 days.

I have thought may times about taking off tips and handing out the cash too. I like the idea of giving it out how I want. It always ends up in the $500 range for us with our kids, so it is a decent amount of money. But I have always been scared CCL keeps a record and will hold it against you in some way? So I always just leave it. Is this possible?

I have thought may times about taking off tips and handing out the cash too. I like the idea of giving it out how I want. It always ends up in the $500 range for us with our kids, so it is a decent amount of money. But I have always been scared CCL keeps a record and will hold it against you in some way? So I always just leave it. Is this possible?

We changed it just before dinner on our last night on the cruise. Went down, asked to have it taken off and that we would be handling it ourselves. However, we did leave the one category which said something like, alternative services or something, I do not have the bill. We just preferred to pay our wait staff and room steward the same amount Carnival charged us, just paid them in cash

• 2 weeks later...
I personnally removed 3 nights of dining team (we had YTD, 3 x 6.40$) because we ate at Steakhouse or Seafood Shack or Cucina. I dont consider myself cheap...

Everybody''s money is their own business. I just have a hard time understanding how you can pay thousands of dollars for a cruise and then feel the need to remove $19.20 from the tips shared between all the serving staff.