GRatuities confusion on prepaid gratuities and beverage package

Mae23

Additional/extra tips are NOT deserved! If you have already paid 20% tip either on a drink package OR on the receipt per drink, no additional cash tip is deserved. It has been paid ... in abundance.

You have no idea at all what is 'deserved'. Nor is it your job to determine what others should, could, would, or might want to tip based on the service they receive.

Just FYI: They're not gratuities. That money doesn't go directly to the workers. That money gets pocketed by NCL and then NCL uses part of that money to give workers "incentives". Just a point of clarification. It's not like when you go out to a restaurant and the 20% you put on the check goes directly to the waiter.

That may well be your THEORY, but you have no idea how the DSC funds are utilized. No where at all does anything even slightly hint that less than 100% of the DSC is for the crew.

That is because that 20% is a TIP and the DSC is just that a DSC NOT a tip. Also you have no idea where that money goes either. Many places pooling of tips is required and the tips are allocated to some combination of the wait staff, teh bussers, and the kitchen crew.

This offends me!!

Tipping is a personal choice. You have obviously chosen not to tip beyond what is required by the cruise line & that works for you but it isn't up to you to tell the rest of us how to spend our money.

Some of us choose to tip more because we think it IS deserved & we want to show the people taking care of us that we appreciate them & all they do to make sure our cruise is the best it can be.

No it does not. You CHOOSE TO BE offended by it.

I have gone out to eat where a 20% gratuity is automatically added to my tab. I would never tip additionally to that charge.I will tip 10% for even the worst service and swallow my bile.

That service charge for gratuities on a cruise ship is also to protect the crew

from getting stiffed by cheapo's that under or don't tip.

Automatic tips are pooled and split to ensure all crew members are included. What the percentage each member gets is a calculated amount.

For ALL drinks, a service charge is added to each drink even if one has a ordered even if one has already purchased a beverage package or one pays per drink purchase. This only will exclude certain premium packages where it clearly stated that the service charge is included in the purchase package price.

Edited by JMorris271

I have gone out to eat where a 20% gratuity is automatically added to my tab. I would never tip additionally to that charge.I will tip 10% for even the worst service and swallow my bile.

Automatic tips are pooled and split to ensure all crew members are included. What the percentage each member gets is a calculated amount.

For ALL drinks, a service charge is added to each drink even if one has a ordered even if one has already purchased a beverage package or one pays per drink purchase. This only will exclude certain premium packages where it clearly stated that the service charge is included in the purchase package price.

I always remove an automatic tip when dining and add in thw amount I deem appropriate. I have tipped anywhere from 0% to somewhere around 300%.

We are cruising again in August and we didn't get a drink package. I did not pre pay gratuities either. I found that we had been pre-paying and then giving the people serving/waiting/helping us an addition 20% tip. I rather give the money directly to the staff helping us so I know they are getting it.

You are still going to pay the 20% service charge, and if you want a refund you have to ask for it after you get home.

I always remove an automatic tip when dining and add in thw amount I deem appropriate. I have tipped anywhere from 0% to somewhere around 300%.

LOL...stop it. To leave a 300 percent tip I had better have a happy ending instead of my cheesecake for dessert. :rolleyes:

I don't think so. When you purchase the UBP you get charged THEN 20% of NCL's value of the program, which is substantial. I would NOT expect to get another autograt charge when I order a "free" drink under UBP. You are free to CHOOSE to tip in addition, that's a personal decision, but if you are charged a mandatory "gratuity" on a $0 cost drink under the UBP then something is wrong and it should be questioned IMHO.

We are cruising again in August and we didn't get a drink package. I did not pre pay gratuities either. I found that we had been pre-paying and then giving the people serving/waiting/helping us an addition 20% tip. I rather give the money directly to the staff helping us so I know they are getting it.

They might still pool tips and distribute them exactly like they do with the pre-paid charges - particularly in the restaurants. Bottom line is that no one knows the behind the scenes of how everyone gets paid, and it's nice to let people know that you think they've done a good job. I'm going to assume that the 20% and the pre-paid gratuities are sufficient to keep the staff paid properly, and if I find someone doing something extraordinarily helpful, I'll give them an additional tip, but I will also send a note to NCL with that person's name so that they are recognized. I'm sure plenty of people complain about all sorts of things, and an appreciative note helps.

... and if I find someone doing something extraordinarily helpful, I'll give them an additional tip, but I will also send a note to NCL with that person's name so that they are recognized. I'm sure plenty of people complain about all sorts of things, and an appreciative note helps.

There's even a "hero card" or something like that you can fill out on board and recognize someone's above and beyond service level. They keep them at the customer service desk. The value of these cards is that management also sees them.

Additional/extra tips are NOT deserved!

So no matter how fantastic the service is, you deem additional tips as "not deserved?" Wow. You're a waiter/bartender's worst nightmare. Have you ever worked a service industry job? People like you get "special" treatment. ;)

So no matter how fantastic the service is, you deem additional tips as "not deserved?" Wow. You're a waiter/bartender's worst nightmare. Have you ever worked a service industry job? People like you get "special" treatment. ;)

I don't get 'special' treatment. I am a very good/big tipper. But I don't tip 20% after already tipping 20%! That doesn't make any sense.

I don't get 'special' treatment. I am a very good/big tipper. But I don't tip 20% after already tipping 20%! That doesn't make any sense.

Heh, I think my comment about special treatment went over your head.

Anyways, if you think 20% is a "very good / big tipper" I have news for you...it's not. At all. 20% is the minimum for good service. Mediocre service is 15%.

You are still going to pay the 20% service charge, and if you want a refund you have to ask for it after you get home.

So if it's not on now, will they add it when we get on the ship? Honestly doesn't matter to me, I thought that there was an option, but if not then I rather have it paid before we go on the trip.

Anyways, if you think 20% is a "very good / big tipper" I have news for you...it's not. At all. 20% is the minimum for good service. Mediocre service is 15%.

Standard tip for good service is 15%. 20% is a great tip for great service.

Your special treatment comment, I am sure, was a couched way of saying I get spit in my food/drink.

So if it's not on now, will they add it when we get on the ship? Honestly doesn't matter to me, I thought that there was an option, but if not then I rather have it paid before we go on the trip.

If you don't pre-pay the DSC, then yes, once you are on the ship it will be added to your cabin onboard account each day.

Says who? [emoji4] Where is a rule?

Mediocre bartender or waiter might get 10% or nothing at all.

And maybe next time he/she will provide better than mediocre service.

People like you on the other hand make possible mediocre service while expecting any tips.

Edited by Tatka

I don't think so. When you purchase the UBP you get charged THEN 20% of NCL's value of the program, which is substantial. I would NOT expect to get another autograt charge when I order a "free" drink under UBP. You are free to CHOOSE to tip in addition, that's a personal decision, but if you are charged a mandatory "gratuity" on a $0 cost drink under the UBP then something is wrong and it should be questioned IMHO.

I just re read the fine print about the Celebrity Beverage Packages Available for purchase that says in plain English the price of the cost of the package. If you purchase a package;

There is NO SERVICE CHARGE applied to that Cost of that package, which is a PRODUCT AND NOT A SERVICE,when you make that purchase

The 18% SERVICE CHARGE is applied to the price of each of your ordered drinks. The COST OF THE DRINKS ONLY is what is covered by the package you purchased. That 18% SERVICE CHARGE for ALL Drinks YOU Order is posted to your Sign and Sail card. That Service Charge is charged to your credit card on file at the end of the cruise. You can keep track of those charges every day by looking it up on your TV.

Say you order a $9 drink. Your card is charged 18% which is $1.62 for the SERVICE CHARGE but not for the menu price of $9 for that drink. If you choose to Add Another 20% which comes to $1.80 on top of what you have already been charged, bringing the total amount of cash out of your pocket for the total cost of that drink up to $12.62. That is how it works on Celebrity at least.

Now how does one give that 20% tip to the server? Do you say ADD 20% to that charge at point of service, or keep a tab of your drink charges and run around trying to remember who served you what? I've never seen anyone slip cash to a server when drinks are served. When you have multible servers

Please tell me how thet works for you.

Edited by JMorris271

I just re read the fine print about the Celebrity Beverage Packages Available for purchase that says in plain English the price of the cost of the package. If you purchase a package;

There is NO SERVICE CHARGE applied to that Cost of that package, which is a PRODUCT AND NOT A SERVICE,when you make that purchase

The 18% SERVICE CHARGE is applied to the price of each of your ordered drinks. The COST OF THE DRINKS ONLY is what is covered by the package you purchased. That 18% SERVICE CHARGE for ALL Drinks YOU Order is posted to your Sign and Sail card. That Service Charge is charged to your credit card on file at the end of the cruise. You can keep track of those charges every day by looking it up on your TV.

Say you order a $9 drink. Your card is charged 18% which is $1.62 for the SERVICE CHARGE but not for the menu price of $9 for that drink. If you choose to Add Another 20% which comes to $1.80 on top of what you have already been charged, bringing the total amount of cash out of your pocket for the total cost of that drink up to $12.62. That is how it works on Celebrity at least.

Now how does one give that 20% tip to the server? Do you say ADD 20% to that charge at point of service, or keep a tab of your drink charges and run around trying to remember who served you what? I've never seen anyone slip cash to a server when drinks are served. When you have multible servers

Celebrity also includes it for free for many customers.

I don't know if I would spend more than 20% on $89 a day which NCL charges if I bought individual drinks paying 18% per drink.

And I am ok with 20% charge, but more? Why?

So how high will the threshold be set? The standard has been raised as common practice to 20% for good service. I Expect good service all the time.

So now its better service 25%

Wonderful service 30%

Extra special service 40%

Not sure how you haven't seen cash slipped to servers, but it DOES happen.

And THAT is first hand knowledge, and you can believe the servers DO know who tips.

There is always a great debate if tippers get better service, so here's a true story. On the Epic a few years ago 4 of us were at the pool bar. Crazy busy however we were tipping and our drinks were NEVER empty, nor did we have to wait.

Bartenders would just look our way and a simple nod they would be there with another drink.

Not sure how you haven't seen cash slipped to servers, but it DOES happen.

And THAT is first hand knowledge, and you can believe the servers DO know who tips.

There is always a great debate if tippers get better service, so here's a true story. On the Epic a few years ago 4 of us were at the pool bar. Crazy busy however we were tipping and our drinks were NEVER empty, nor did we have to wait.

Bartenders would just look our way and a simple nod they would be there with another drink.

we usually experience that great service without extra tipping

it's called being regular customers and engaging in conversation-the great servers get to know your needs pretty well and top ups are there before we have an empty glass

perhaps they dont expect extra when they hear our British accent but on a cashless ship where everything charged to card why would we want to bother carrying foreign currency ie dollar bills around with us

what we always do is fill out vacation hero cards which help with their promotion chances

we usually experience that great service without extra tipping

it's called being regular customers and engaging in conversation-the great servers get to know your needs pretty well and top ups are there before we have an empty glass

perhaps they dont expect extra when they hear our British accent but on a cashless ship where everything charged to card why would we want to bother carrying foreign currency ie dollar bills around with us

what we always do is fill out vacation hero cards which help with their promotion chances

Being you said it , Im sure it's because of your British accent. LOL

We had a great time talking/listening to some Brits while having a few cocktails in Mexico a few years ago while sitting in a hot tub.

Had a blast!