Regal Princess Baltic Cruise Data Package

Teddy560

Hello I would like to have some suggestions as to how to stay in touch with family in U.S. while on the cruise ship. For personal reason, I must be able to be reached by texts (either iMessage, WhatsApp or WeChat) and phone calls. I have read the Princess internet package but seems like it does not include texting or call capabilities. My cell phone carrier AT&T does not have any package for the Baltic region. Anyone with past experience or can offer suggestions is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

At&T does have the International Day Pass, which should work in the Baltic. It should only be used for port days, when ashore...it doesn't apply on ship. Using the ship's wifi should get you texting. Wifi calling may work, but it uses a lot of time, and signal inconsistency may make it difficult. Regular phone from ship is expensive, and I would avoid it unless an emergency.

Thank you CruiserBruce. I can use AT&T on land but I am more concerned about while at sea. So I can text using Regal Princess's wifi without subscribing to their internet package? Do you know if it is specific to which texting app? From what I have read on Princess' website, their internet package is only for checking emails?

I have never worried about being able to keep in touch on all my past cruises, but this time is important to do so. I appreciate your time and anyone else's who assisted.

At&T does have the International Day Pass, which should work in the Baltic. It should only be used for port days, when ashore...it doesn't apply on ship. Using the ship's wifi should get you texting. Wifi calling may work, but it uses a lot of time, and signal inconsistency may make it difficult. Regular phone from ship is expensive, and I would avoid it unless an emergency.

I would add to never try and upload anything to Social Media, etc. If memory serves me correctly, it was $10.00 a mb for uploading:eek:. I won't make that mistake twice.....

Bob

Thank you CruiserBruce. I can use AT&T on land but I am more concerned about while at sea. So I can text using Regal Princess's wifi without subscribing to their internet package? Do you know if it is specific to which texting app? From what I have read on Princess' website, their internet package is only for checking emails?

I have never worried about being able to keep in touch on all my past cruises, but this time is important to do so. I appreciate your time and anyone else's who assisted.

Internet package is INTERNET, can't text without it unless you use ships server which IS expensive.

Thank you CruiserBruce. I can use AT&T on land but I am more concerned about while at sea. So I can text using Regal Princess's wifi without subscribing to their internet package? Do you know if it is specific to which texting app? From what I have read on Princess' website, their internet package is only for checking emails? I have never worried about being able to keep in touch on all my past cruises, but this time is important to do so. I appreciate your time and anyone else's who assisted.

I've done a blog post about MedallionNet as I was on the ***** preview cruise on Regal - essentially you get free access to messaging apps like Facebook Messenger, WhatsApp, WeChat and iMessage.

MedallionNet was fantastic for speed in the Caribbean but we are wondering how it will perform in the Baltic as the satellite coverage is not as optimised there. Then again, everything could turn out fine!

Sandra

With the Medalion net on the Regal, you should be able to use your phone on board while it is logged into their network. Then set your phone for wifi phone and messaging. May need to confirm with your phone provider they offer this service (I know Verizon does) and you don't incur charges for calls or messages. This won't work while on shore but is a good option while on board.

They have been offering unlimited network access free on the Regal for Platinum and Elite passengers, so if that still happens on your cruise it would be a cheap way to stay in touch. In the Caribbean service has been good enough to stream movies and tv broadcasts the ship doesn't carry.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

I would add to never try and upload anything to Social Media, etc. If memory serves me correctly, it was $10.00 a mb for uploading:eek:. I won't make that mistake twice.....

Bob

Thank you Bob for the tip. Luckily I just want to text and call (emergency only), which unfortunately is still not cheap either. :(

Internet package is INTERNET, can't text without it unless you use ships server which IS expensive.

Thank you weedpindle. On Princess website, it says internet only used at their internet cafes, and then something about roaming charges (which I want to avoid at all expense!!) if you use your own cell phone. So I am just quite confused and calling Princess gave me mixed answers.

I've done a blog post about MedallionNet as I was on the ***** preview cruise on Regal - essentially you get free access to messaging apps like Facebook Messenger, WhatsApp, WeChat and iMessage.

MedallionNet was fantastic for speed in the Caribbean but we are wondering how it will perform in the Baltic as the satellite coverage is not as optimised there. Then again, everything could turn out fine!

Sandra

Thank you Sandra for the info. I sure hope so!

With the Medalion net on the Regal, you should be able to use your phone on board while it is logged into their network. Then set your phone for wifi phone and messaging. May need to confirm with your phone provider they offer this service (I know Verizon does) and you don't incur charges for calls or messages. This won't work while on shore but is a good option while on board.

They have been offering unlimited network access free on the Regal for Platinum and Elite passengers, so if that still happens on your cruise it would be a cheap way to stay in touch. In the Caribbean service has been good enough to stream movies and tv broadcasts the ship doesn't carry.

Thank you UT-Volsfan. So I don't need to purchase any internet/data package? Just log on to the ship's Medallion Net?

Thank you UT-Volsfan. So I don't need to purchase any internet/data package? Just log on to the ship's Medallion Net?

Depends upon your loyalty level on Princess. Platinum and Elite get a hundred minutes free normally and have been getting unlimited use free during the roll out of the Medallion service on Regal. Otherwise you will need to purchase a package. I believe unlimited use is $10 per day if you don't get it free.

Depends upon your loyalty level on Princess. Platinum and Elite get a hundred minutes free normally and have been getting unlimited use free during the roll out of the Medallion service on Regal. Otherwise you will need to purchase a package. I believe unlimited use is $10 per day if you don't get it free.

Thank you again for your assistance. :)

I have an app on my tablet called message+. It enables me to get all of my texts and make and/or receive calls while connected to wifi. I used it while on a Caribbean cruise last spring and worked like a charm.

You use this on your tablet? That's great. I've been looking for something for my tablet.

Most of the other apps are meant for phones and won't work on my tablet.

Going to check this out. :D

Sandra

Hello Sandra, I read your post, it was fantastic! Do you recall if you can use the wifi while the ship is docked (I will be overnight at St. Petersburg) ? or only when the ship is at sea?

I have an app on my tablet called message+. It enables me to get all of my texts and make and/or receive calls while connected to wifi. I used it while on a Caribbean cruise last spring and worked like a charm.

Hello Married15. I searched in the app store, it is for Verizon customers only.:( But I appreciate your reply, it will certainly help someone.