Sea Dream I

ho-hum

Some good news. According to AIS Tracking, SD I is underway using her engines. Course is outbound from Naples. Destination listed is going to anchor off Naples. :D

Jim, this is indeed excellent news! Thanks for sharing. Here's hoping that all goes well and that SD I is back in action very soon.

Presently heading back into Naples. A bit over 10 knots. Hopefully a successful sea trial.:D

http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/photos/of/ships/shipid:369344/ship_name:SEADREAM_I#first

Lets see if this link works. Click on the Marine Traffic logo to see live map.

Edited by Jim Avery

Got any news? Where is our beloved SD 1?

As of 5 minutes ago, SD I was back at the same dock in Naples she has occupied since work began. I am sure some (hopefully) minor issues arose on the sea trial. Due at Civitivecchia on the 22nd. In the category of useless information: on sea trial SeaDream I achieved a 10.8 knot top speed. :D

SeaDream have just cancelled tomorrow's departure from Civitivecchia. One day notice. This has to be a nightmare of rebookings. Looks like the sea trial revealed more than just minor glitches.

Always grateful to you Jim.

It proves one thing to the doubters.

SD informed us at the earliest opportunity and for that we must be grateful.

And whilst Hum is here, the crew are cared for very well though they express eagerness to get back to seeing US (passengers) and no, not for gratuities.

Poor, poor SD, crew and of course guests.

Mr.Gabby Bags !!

Look chums, this is ruddy silly.

Here is the Advisory from Sea Dream in full.

For what it's worth, Hum wonders how could they have tried any harder and been so supportive.

October 21, 2016

SeaDream must cancel voyage #11643, which was scheduled to sail a 7-night itinerary from Civitavecchia (Rome) to Cannes beginning Saturday, October 22. Our Reservation Team is currently notifying affected guests and agents, and assisting with re-booking options.

Current Status of SeaDream I:

Repairs have been completed.

The yacht had a successful test-sailing earlier in the week which went well and according to our plans.

We had intended to reposition SeaDream I to Rome today (a short trip) to be ready for Saturday’s voyage. Final tests revealed an issue with a piece of electrical equipment which was successfully tested several times during the wet-dock. That piece of equipment should be fixed shortly.

Looking Ahead:

We anticipate this to be the last possible obstacle in returning SeaDream I to scheduled service. Our guests and travel agent partners have been remarkably patient and understanding of our situation, and we are grateful for their continued support. We recognize the frustration and inconvenience in having your vacation plans cancelled, and will continue to work with our customers to re-accommodate to future sailings.

You would have thought that they would have put at least 1 week of contingency into their schedule. Something always goes wrong with sea trials. Much better to have one week where the ship is available to sail than cancelling one day before a cruise. I am sure almost everyone had arrived at the port for embarkation. I know I would be very mad if this happened to me.

With the latest happenings, my wife and I are more and more reluctant to book a SD cruise.

Put me down as agreeing with Ho-Hum on this one.

We know from our 13 prior voyages over 8 years the high level of personalized service onboard always and shore side almost always. This is a very difficult situation and far from routine so fits and starts are to be expected. Have we had issues onboard and otherwise from time to time, of course. Have those issues almost always been resolved, yes. Is there anything better than the SD experience, all things considered, not that we've experienced or heard from others.

Friends who were to have been on one of the first voyages to be cancelled last month were extremely satisfied with how their situation was handled - from generous future bookings at no additional cost, to discounts, to new travel arrangements and reimbursements as their 7-day SD voyage was the anchor for a long-planned five-week trip to various cities in Europe before and after SD.

To most of us, SD is much more than a faceless entity. After all, it is essentially a small family business. If you want to go corporate to a conglomerate for your travel, well thank goodness at least for now we still have market economies in the West and competition and choice, so go have it as the floating hotels and smaller ships elsewhere await. For the rest of us, we will take SD, any warts and all, because it isn't faceless to us - we see the faces of our friends and extended families in the faces of the crew and the very genuine smiles on their faces when we board and interact with them with mutual respect, not in any hierarchical way. Same for friends made among fellow passengers. We can't wait to board again and wish all at SD nothing but the best and look forward to SD1 sailing again soon.

Jes and Ho make good points. I can attest that a fire on a ship, especially an engine space fire, is very insidious. What you think is damaged is usually only the tip of the proverbial iceberg. The norm is that every one of the agencies involved (Port State, Insurer, flag agency, etc.) makes a list of damages and required repairs. As soon as disassembly starts for repairs it is usual that new, unseen damages are discovered. This requires all the controlling experts to come back and give their assessment of the newly found damage. All this takes time. Then when repairs are nominally completed, inspections take place again. Sea trails always show up other deficiencies. Meanwhile, the owner is desperate to return the ship to paying service. It is easy to say they should have just cancelled two months income (50% of the company's total revenue for the period) but in practice that almost never happens. As we all know from home repairs, everything takes longer and costs more than originally planned. On a ship move that by a large factor. So owners invariably hope for the best and deal with the issues as they arise. This latest one day notice caught them by surprise I am sure. It is very frustrating for the crew to think their ordeal is almost over and then some unforseen other item breaks. I hope SeaDream can overcome the hit to their finances and customers. They really do seem to be doing the right thing by their passengers but inconvenience and frustration is inevitable.

Hum's with JES4845 & Jim Avery

That's all Hum wanted to say.

Good stuff distinguished gentlemen and legends of Cruise Critic.

By the way JES, change your bank pin number and password (4845) !

No one guesses 1HOHUM !

Or Jim's, 1TKILA.

Or GCMV's, 666GCMV

Hum proposed "Dirty Raggy's" password but it was pulled.....far too rude.

But ruddy funny.

Well to H.

Hum's with JES4845 & Jim Avery

That's all Hum wanted to say.

Good stuff distinguished gentlemen and legends of Cruise Critic.

By the way JES, change your bank pin number and password (4845) !

No one guesses 1HOHUM !

Or Jim's, 1TKILA.

Or GCMV's, 666GCMV

Hum proposed "Dirty Raggy's" password but it was pulled.....far too rude.

But ruddy funny.

Well to H.

Gee thanks! Now I have had to change it to "44MAGNUM".:eek::D

You would have thought that they would have put at least 1 week of contingency into their schedule. Something always goes wrong with sea trials. Much better to have one week where the ship is available to sail than cancelling one day before a cruise. I am sure almost everyone had arrived at the port for embarkation. I know I would be very mad if this happened to me.

With the latest happenings, my wife and I are more and more reluctant to book a SD cruise.

I'm with you and not sure why others are giving SeaDream a pass on this one. My husband and I are victims of these poorly thought out, last minute cancellations. We had just arrived in France for a back to back 14 day cruise when we got the word only a day and a half before we were to board SD1. Maybe others don't mind being told it's off after 15 hours of travel but I am not one of them. Especially after I found out the fire occurred 6 weeks ago!

I think they could have projected at least a week or two out to try and help customers re-group and make alternate plans. This mere 1-2 days before the trip cancellation is bad form. We'll see how well they treat us after they see the bills we had in order to re-book our flight home.

I feel terrible for the crew and was relieved to find no one was hurt. They are a lovely bunch! We were very happy with the product and this was to be our 6th cruise with them but I am very disappointed in this company right now. I'll let you know what happens.

I'm with you and not sure why others are giving SeaDream a pass on this one. My husband and I are victims of these poorly thought out, last minute cancellations. We had just arrived in France for a back to back 14 day cruise when we got the word only a day and a half before we were to board SD1. Maybe others don't mind being told it's off after 15 hours of travel but I am not one of them. Especially after I found out the fire occurred 6 weeks ago!

I think they could have projected at least a week or two out to try and help customers re-group and make alternate plans. This mere 1-2 days before the trip cancellation is bad form. We'll see how well they treat us after they see the bills we had in order to re-book our flight home.

I feel terrible for the crew and was relieved to find no one was hurt. They are a lovely bunch! We were very happy with the product and this was to be our 6th cruise with them but I am very disappointed in this company right now. I'll let you know what happens.

Welcome to the SeaDream board. Always good to have a Floridian on board (I used to live in Destin). Had we been affected I am sure I would feel the same as you. As a former ship captain I know how unpredictable these things can be so I guess I see both sides of the coin. Yes, they should have cancelled more trips further out but I am guessing no one thought it would be going on this long. Anyway, lots of good folks here. Most have sailed with each other a time or two. Maybe see you at the TOY Bar.:D

Welcome to the SeaDream board. Always good to have a Floridian on board (I used to live in Destin). Had we been affected I am sure I would feel the same as you. As a former ship captain I know how unpredictable these things can be so I guess I see both sides of the coin. Yes, they should have cancelled more trips further out but I am guessing no one thought it would be going on this long. Anyway, lots of good folks here. Most have sailed with each other a time or two. Maybe see you at the TOY Bar.:D

Nice words Jim.

Respect.

Again.

And always.

Hum would like to grow up and be like you.

Naa....would never come close.

But Hum can dream.