Help-Rock of Ages

Julieh40

I am looking to book Breakaway the last week in March 2018. I have been unable to find out if Rock of Ages will still be on the ship. This is an absolute MUST for me. It's actually the entire reason we sail the Breakaway. Can anyone 100% confirm or deny if Rock of Ages will be still going on?

I am looking to book Breakaway the last week in March 2018. I have been unable to find out if Rock of Ages will still be on the ship. This is an absolute MUST for me. It's actually the entire reason we sail the Breakaway. Can anyone 100% confirm or deny if Rock of Ages will be still going on?

I am very sorry to say that I heard from a reliable crew member that the Rock of Ages show on Breakaway will done by years end.

The contracts run 6 months and I think the current run is to end of March exactly. I think April and October are the cast changes. Since it is on for December ( my next cruise) I think you are good to be in the end of this block. Glad to meet another super fan! Any way, I will try to remember to ask someone if my theory is correct. Watch for me to post December 3-15!

The contracts run 6 months and I think the current run is to end of March exactly. I think April and October are the cast changes. Since it is on for December ( my next cruise) I think you are good to be in the end of this block. Glad to meet another super fan! Any way, I will try to remember to ask someone if my theory is correct. Watch for me to post December 3-15!

Actually, it was a friend/cast member from another show that told me (in April) that by years end Broadway star, Second City, and ROA are gone from Breakaway. Sure enough Broadway Star ended in June.

Here is my (edited to protect the performer) communication with him from FB messenger:

"Broadway star show is ending on the Breakaway in June. Rock of Ages and second city is ending by end of the year too. I don't know what they're replacing all of these shows with though."

Actually, it was a friend/cast member from another show that told me (in April) that by years end Broadway star, Second City, and ROA are gone from Breakaway. Sure enough Broadway Star ended in June.

Here is my (edited to protect the performer) communication with him from FB messenger:

"Broadway star show is ending on the Breakaway in June. Rock of Ages and second city is ending by end of the year too. I don't know what they're replacing all of these shows with though."

Hmm....Our cruise is Jan19th 2018....I called to book Rock of Ages and they booked us. No mention that it will not be available.

I am very sorry to say that I heard from a reliable crew member that the Rock of Ages show on Breakaway will done by years end.

If true I really hate to hear that. I've seen the show over a hundred times between Broadway, Vegas, National Tour, and multiple cruises on Breakaway. I know the new cast just boarded a few weeks ago and am looking forward to seeing them on the December 15 sailing, which hopefully won't be my last time to see the show.

I have never even heard of Broadway Star, and I sailed in May. I'm guessing that this is something that was always a temporary show.

By the way - Here is the casting call for the latest Rock of Ages, with a contract end date of March, 2018. This shows that the contracts are still running as they have been running. https://ebcastingco.com/rock/

I have never even heard of Broadway Star, and I sailed in May. I'm guessing that this is something that was always a temporary show.

By the way - Here is the casting call for the latest Rock of Ages, with a contract end date of March, 2018. This shows that the contracts are still running as they have been running. https://ebcastingco.com/rock/

That's potentially great news if the contract is through March. Hopefully if the run on Breakaway ends, they move it to another ship.

The Broadway Star show was the Saturday night showroom show that usually featured somebody that had appeared in Wicked or another Broadway show. It was replaced by a magic show on my last cruise in July. Not sure if the magic show is still running. Scary thing for ROA fans is that the rumor about the Broadway show was accurate.

Hopefully somebody onboard can ask the cruise director or someone on the entertainment staff to see what the status of the show is and get us verification one way or another.

That's potentially great news if the contract is through March. Hopefully if the run on Breakaway ends, they move it to another ship.

The Broadway Star show was the Saturday night showroom show that usually featured somebody that had appeared in Wicked or another Broadway show. It was replaced by a magic show on my last cruise in July. Not sure if the magic show is still running. Scary thing for ROA fans is that the rumor about the Broadway show was accurate.

Hopefully somebody onboard can ask the cruise director or someone on the entertainment staff to see what the status of the show is and get us verification one way or another.

Hmm...not sure why they are taking reservations for shows in January if their contract is up in Dec.

This has always been one of those polarizing shows. Either you love it or you hate it. When it closed on Broadway, I thought it would just get picked up at another theater, but still hasn’t. Same thing when it closed in Vegas this year. Sadly, I have a bad feeling it’s days are numbered on breakaway also. I would hate to see it go because it really is nothin but a good time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The contracts for Broadway shows like ROA are on multi year contracts. The cast for ROA rotate as a group on and off, rehearsing in Tampa, then embarking.

If ROA is being replaced, it is much more likely that it is done during the dry dock. Hard to install a show in he middle of the season.

Edited by BirdTravels

The contracts for Broadway shows like ROA are on multi year contracts. The cast for ROA rotate as a group on and off, rehearsing in Tampa, then embarking.

If ROA is being replaced, it is much more likely that it is done during the dry dock. Hard to install a show in he middle of the season.

Right after the ROA Broadway closed I asked on my next sailing how that would effect the Breakaway version. At that time I believe they said they had a 7 year contract for the show, so maybe if it's leaving Breakaway it would move to the Escape sailings from NYC. Either way I wish somebody could get some clarity about the status.

If nobody finds out earlier, I will ask the actors themselves how long their present contract runs, on my Dec 3 sailing. I know where to find them and always talk with them on my trips. I am copying this thread link to my planning document so I remember to come back and post the results. I will also ask the officer in charge of entertainment what the long term outlook is.

Remember they changed MDQ from the Escape to the Getaway after only 6 months. The actor's contracts were supposed to begin in February, but they were moved to April to give the ship time to change over. The ships were still cruising around and other shows were substituted-shows that did not require elaborate sets, costumes, etc. (if I recall correctly)-not Broadway quality.

Edited by Seminole1975

Liked the show when I saw it on BA in 2013, been waiting for a new show on BA. If you want to see a great rock show at sea check out We Will Rock You on RCCL Anthem of the Seas out of Bayonne, think it is better than ROA.

If nobody finds out earlier, I will ask the actors themselves how long their present contract runs, on my Dec 3 sailing. I know where to find them and always talk with them on my trips. I am copying this thread link to my planning document so I remember to come back and post the results. I will also ask the officer in charge of entertainment what the long term outlook is.

You can ask them and they will tell you March. Info from their agent is posted above.

I am another fan of this show, especially the music...I have seen it three times on the Breakaway, and also enjoyed the film version...as a matter of fact, I liked the film version even better, (the story has a slight variation)...

That said, I would enjoy seeing it again on my 19 January cruise, and have reserved it, as well. As to why they would reserve it, if it was ending in December.....well....I suppose they would just transfer the reserved time for whatever may be replacing it...not sure....

• 1 month later...

Following up as promised after our 12 day cruise December 3-15. The actors confirmed the current cast runs through March (Actually early April). And I heard that Rock of Ages is expected to continue, on Breakaway, for some time.

Also, note that standy seating has improved. They seems to know when the show was not sold out or had cancellations and let us in for the additional 3 shows (only one can be reserved) as soon as we showed up. So we made front row all 4 shows.

Following up as promised after our 12 day cruise December 3-15. The actors confirmed the current cast runs through March (Actually early April). And I heard that Rock of Ages is expected to continue, on Breakaway, for some time.

Also, note that standy seating has improved. They seems to know when the show was not sold out or had cancellations and let us in for the additional 3 shows (only one can be reserved) as soon as we showed up. So we made front row all 4 shows.

Why would anyone want to see the same show four times on one cruise![emoji15]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Why would anyone want to see the same show four times on one cruise![emoji15]

When you are a fan of Broadways Musicals, and love Rock n Roll and comedy, you don't pass up the chance see it multiple times without shelling out $150 per seat per show.

I will gladly take your seat, I know it's not for everyone! Interestingly, there was a couple who were also superfans that attended all 4 shows. We were the only junkies on the last 2 cruises we took on Breakaway.

Having fans like us was a treat for the cast, too, and we fed off each other. They loved that we were active, calling out, singing along, and even doing some of the choreography. The show breaks the "fourth wall" a lot and the 4 of us were frequent targets of their fun. At one point, two characters are sharing a "joint" on stage and they were right above be. They looked down, waved, and then came down to my seat and gave it to em and "lit" it for me. Hilarious.

There is a scene at the beginning in which a character chooses a woman in the front row and he says and mimes some suggestive things. He picked my daughter and then stopped, falling out of character.

"Wait a minute, how old are you?" he demanded.

"18" she answered.

"And who is that next to you?"

"My Dad."

"Dad, cover your eyes."

The second night I wore a T-shirt with the logo of the show's band - "Arsenal." They had never seen that before. They all came forward to talk to me, and even invited me to come up and play the keyboard a moment except I can't play. Super fun.

The drummer has been there for several years, and said he remembered me from the previous 2 trips.

During the shows one of the leads was doing some truly funny and weird stuff. We got to talk to the actors later (they often show up at the last night of Howl at the Moon) and learned that he was doing all those things for our benefit.

During one dance number, a lead character's shoe flew off up into the air in front of him, and he caught it, and slipped it back on, and many people did not even notice. We shouted and pointed when we saw it with a yell of approval. The other actors said they saw us point and yell and could not wait to find out what had happened.

Last year, there is a character who appears "drunk" with a bottle of "vodka" and he falls over and spills it. Usually. In one show he dumped it on my daughter, and in the next he dumped it on me.

Super fun stuff for super fans.

Liked the show when I saw it on BA in 2013, been waiting for a new show on BA. If you want to see a great rock show at sea check out We Will Rock You on RCCL Anthem of the Seas out of Bayonne, think it is better than ROA.

I just saw We Will Rock You aboard the Anthem, a week ago.....

and IMHO, there is no comparison....Rock of Ages was much better....the story, the music, and even the actual performance....looking forward to seeing it for the fifth time aboard the Breakaway next month....:D

When you are a fan of Broadways Musicals, and love Rock n Roll and comedy, you don't pass up the chance see it multiple times without shelling out $150 per seat per show.

I will gladly take your seat, I know it's not for everyone! Interestingly, there was a couple who were also superfans that attended all 4 shows. We were the only junkies on the last 2 cruises we took on Breakaway.

Having fans like us was a treat for the cast, too, and we fed off each other. They loved that we were active, calling out, singing along, and even doing some of the choreography. The show breaks the "fourth wall" a lot and the 4 of us were frequent targets of their fun. At one point, two characters are sharing a "joint" on stage and they were right above be. They looked down, waved, and then came down to my seat and gave it to em and "lit" it for me. Hilarious.

There is a scene at the beginning in which a character chooses a woman in the front row and he says and mimes some suggestive things. He picked my daughter and then stopped, falling out of character.

"Wait a minute, how old are you?" he demanded.

"18" she answered.

"And who is that next to you?"

"My Dad."

"Dad, cover your eyes."

The second night I wore a T-shirt with the logo of the show's band - "Arsenal." They had never seen that before. They all came forward to talk to me, and even invited me to come up and play the keyboard a moment except I can't play. Super fun.

The drummer has been there for several years, and said he remembered me from the previous 2 trips.

During the shows one of the leads was doing some truly funny and weird stuff. We got to talk to the actors later (they often show up at the last night of Howl at the Moon) and learned that he was doing all those things for our benefit.

During one dance number, a lead character's shoe flew off up into the air in front of him, and he caught it, and slipped it back on, and many people did not even notice. We shouted and pointed when we saw it with a yell of approval. The other actors said they saw us point and yell and could not wait to find out what had happened.

Last year, there is a character who appears "drunk" with a bottle of "vodka" and he falls over and spills it. Usually. In one show he dumped it on my daughter, and in the next he dumped it on me.

Super fun stuff for super fans.

Great story....thanks for posting!

I love it when "Lonnie" starts making all those humorous warnings and disclaimier's to the audience, long before the actual show starts....:cool:

I just saw We Will Rock You aboard the Anthem, a week ago.....

and IMHO, there is no comparison....Rock of Ages was much better....the story, the music, and even the actual performance....looking forward to seeing it for the fifth time aboard the Breakaway next month....:D

I'm with you Bob! Have seen ROA 3 times on Breakaway on Bermuda Runs...going on for 14 days in February and hope to see it at least twice! ;)

Joe