Ventura : Why the critics ??

monsieurlouis

Just returned from a superb cruise in the Canary Islands. We had a blast ! Great ship, exceptional service, delicious food. We would go back anytime....Thanks Lester, Jasmine, Archie, Manuel, William you made our stay unforgettable !

This is nice to hear as we are going on her for the first time at the end of August. Everyone seems to be rather down on Ventura and we cannot see why as she's the same as Azura.

Was this your first cruise?

Just returned from a superb cruise in the Canary Islands. We had a blast ! Great ship, exceptional service, delicious food. We would go back anytime....Thanks Lester, Jasmine, Archie, Manuel, William you made our stay unforgettable !

I totally agree with you. I had a superb cruise on her in June and would have no hesitation in echoing your comments, and I can’t wait to go on her again.

This was our second cruise. First one was with NCL a couple of years ago in the Baltics.

The entertainment was great : Tribute to Adele, Paul McCartney, and Frankie Valli & the Four Seasons. The in-house productions were very good as well.

The only thing is that we found the daily activities to be repetitive, and not much variety.

Interestingly, Ventura is our least favourite ship out of any we have sailed on to date.

We did a 17 nighter last year and are still trying to work out; if it was the cabin we did not like (not at all keen); the fact that the weather was not good (despite it being August); the fact that we really disliked the Captain; or the endless sea days.

There was just something that we couldn't put our finger on. Ironically, we have booked to go on Azura to the Fjords in April 2019, but we have avoided her sister ships on Princess for a special anniversary next year as we really did not enjoy her that much at all.

Didn't gel with the crew either coming to think of it --- and we usually find that we have made some lovely 'friends' by the end of a cruise.

Very strange

Interestingly, Ventura is our least favourite ship out of any we have sailed on to date.

We did a 17 nighter last year and are still trying to work out; if it was the cabin we did not like (not at all keen); the fact that the weather was not good (despite it being August); the fact that we really disliked the Captain; or the endless sea days.

There was just something that we couldn't put our finger on. Ironically, we have booked to go on Azura to the Fjords in April 2019, but we have avoided her sister ships on Princess for a special anniversary next year as we really did not enjoy her that much at all.

Didn't gel with the crew either coming to think of it --- and we usually find that we have made some lovely 'friends' by the end of a cruise.

Very strange

I understand what you mean. In 2013 my 60th Birthday came up in December but in a mass of other business events so no holiday or cruise booked. Very close to sail day they suddenly offered a balcony cabin at £999 no single supplement. My TA took this offer up herself and drew me into it. Never been on Ventura before and not since. The cruise was fine but not Azura fine but she and I did have a great time. My overview was concisely Las Ramblas is in no way a Glass House It was uncomfortable but the staff made it OK. Costa Coffee has more space but did not hit the mark. The White Room where I ate every evening could not have cared less and for me it was not a shadow of I7 on Azura.

So fast forward to this year 2018. I should be on Azura 4 weeks in the Caribbean Nov/Dec but my nephew and his partner have suddenly decided to get married. Azura cruise dates do not work. Did Britannia last year nope not sailing there again yet and a first time awful jet lag effect after 16 caribbean cruises plus wedding dates influence choice of 2 week cruise early December which works out to Ventura Canaries. Once again my TA is also on board.

Am I worried... well no I always have a good time BUT yes in that last year on Britannia many small changes meant the costs were much higher, room service charges now applied and Glass House charges were so much higher than 2 years previously. I spend a lot extra on board but suddenly I am sucking in my breath at the costs. Balcony cabin for single occupancy, speciality dining most nights, do not like MDR so lunch costs also. It is probably me and i will get flamed down but hey ho previously I could make my choices with P&O and it was still very affordable. Now certainly not so much so. I never sought a premium experience just the ability to buy an experience suitable to me at an affordable price over and above P&O usual pricing. For me I see that as gone. I will not moan or worry P&O they have just adapted their offering so I no longer see it as meeting my needs, me and cruise budget will look elsewhere yes with a great deal of sadness. I enjoyed my time on P&O and am very sad to say goodbye but needs must.

I understand what you mean. In 2013 my 60th Birthday came up in December but in a mass of other business events so no holiday or cruise booked. Very close to sail day they suddenly offered a balcony cabin at £999 no single supplement. My TA took this offer up herself and drew me into it. Never been on Ventura before and not since. The cruise was fine but not Azura fine but she and I did have a great time. My overview was concisely Las Ramblas is in no way a Glass House It was uncomfortable but the staff made it OK. Costa Coffee has more space but did not hit the mark. The White Room where I ate every evening could not have cared less and for me it was not a shadow of I7 on Azura.

So fast forward to this year 2018. I should be on Azura 4 weeks in the Caribbean Nov/Dec but my nephew and his partner have suddenly decided to get married. Azura cruise dates do not work. Did Britannia last year nope not sailing there again yet and a first time awful jet lag effect after 16 caribbean cruises plus wedding dates influence choice of 2 week cruise early December which works out to Ventura Canaries. Once again my TA is also on board.

Am I worried... well no I always have a good time BUT yes in that last year on Britannia many small changes meant the costs were much higher, room service charges now applied and Glass House charges were so much higher than 2 years previously. I spend a lot extra on board but suddenly I am sucking in my breath at the costs. Balcony cabin for single occupancy, speciality dining most nights, do not like MDR so lunch costs also. It is probably me and i will get flamed down but hey ho previously I could make my choices with P&O and it was still very affordable. Now certainly not so much so. I never sought a premium experience just the ability to buy an experience suitable to me at an affordable price over and above P&O usual pricing. For me I see that as gone. I will not moan or worry P&O they have just adapted their offering so I no longer see it as meeting my needs, me and cruise budget will look elsewhere yes with a great deal of sadness. I enjoyed my time on P&O and am very sad to say goodbye but needs must.

I think that you understood what we meant, but this was one ship and not the P&O experience full stop. Would be happy to sail on Oceana in a heartbeat and also Britannia. For some reason. and not sure why, we just weren't too keen on Ventura and there was nothing magical about the holiday.. sad.

We have been on Azura 4 times and then in January 2017 we went on Ventura for the first time, a trip to the Canaries. I find it very difficult to say why but we didn't like Ventura half as much as Azura. It sounds very odd seeing as they are the same design with minor differences. It just had a different feel to it. It seemed so much darker than Azura; she's had a refit I think since we were on her so it may be changed now. The staff didn't seem as happy as they were on Azura. Eating in The Epicurean was no where near as good as its equivalent on Azura. We enjoyed ourselves on the cruise - we always do - but given a choice I would much rather go back to Azura than Ventura. We much prefer the medium size ships to Azura but given the right itinerary we would go back to Azura, not so sure about Ventura - and I agree - it doesn't seem to make sense.

Like Dai we enjoy our cruises on Ventura, but unlike ccpm we much prefer the Ramblas feel of Ventura's Glass House to the rather stark feel of Azura's. Which just goes to prove that there is no such thing as a one size fits all cruise ship.

Like Dai we enjoy our cruises on Ventura, but unlike ccpm we much prefer the Ramblas feel of Ventura's Glass House to the rather stark feel of Azura's. Which just goes to prove that there is no such thing as a one size fits all cruise ship.

Ironically, the Glass House on Ventura was the only part of the ship we really liked - far better than the one on Britannia ;-)

Last year we were on Arcadia and Ventura and the food etc was good what we would expect, in February we went on Azura to the Caribbean and our experience was that on Azura the service & entertainment was poor! At one time if pushed I would have chosen Azura but not now. We found the food and service were poor, every evening at dinner someone got the wrong item, we left the "tips" in place but they didn't really deserve them!

Ventura's way out our favourite ship, so we look at her itineraries before anything else. We're not interested in ships built with the Caribbean in mind- we need an indoor pool with seating round, where you can look at the sea, and no silly sea screen.

The coldest 2 cruises we've had were on Azura and Independence... on both, planned activities were out on deck, but wind and rain stopped everything. Neither ship is on our radar again, but I think we've had over 100 faultless nights on Ventura.

It's a very personal thing, don't you think? I have been on Ventura twice before her refit and without any specific reason, I just prefer the ambience and the 'feel' of Azura even though the layout is essentially the same.

For me, one thing may be the covered pool - which I know a lot of people love. But to me, the smell of chlorine and the atmosphere of a 'pool' under cover takes me back to indoor swimming pools/baths which I have always loathed, even as a child.I also prefer the modern and light decor of Azura and have always found her a very 'happy' ship.

So no criticism from me at all, just that she doesn't appeal to me as much as other ships.

Although we do not have favourites we have had one of our best cruises on Ventura. The staff entertainment food and fellow passengers were fantastic.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Forums mobile app

Oh! is that us ...

We're on the Ventura September and October .. love that ship and the crew oh! and the fellow passengers. Then Aurora in November followed then by her Amazon cruise in January/February .. could you guys be on any of these

Oh! is that us ...

We're on the Ventura September and October .. love that ship and the crew oh! and the fellow passengers. Then Aurora in November followed then by her Amazon cruise in January/February .. could you guys be on any of these

Unfortunately not. Oriana in Oct then a Ventura back to back in March 19. Of course we are on the 25 night Cruise to the Panama Canal in 2020.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Unfortunately not. Oriana in Oct then a Ventura back to back in March 19. Of course we are on the 25 night Cruise to the Panama Canal in 2020.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Catch up on another cruise eh! Got some nice pic to share but don't have your contact details .. shame

For me, one thing may be the covered pool - which I know a lot of people love. But to me, the smell of chlorine and the atmosphere of a 'pool' under cover takes me back to indoor swimming pools/baths which I have always loathed, even as a child..

Same here -- just hated the whole area --- the whole thing felt tacky ..... no air, humid and like a water park. Yuk. Just hated it.

We have been on something similar on Celebrity (the Solarium) and it was wonderful, feeling more like a private spa. Similarly, there was the open air version on Britannia that was adults only that we loved. It wasn't the fact that it was not adults only, it just wasn't at all inviting

Same here -- just hated the whole area --- the whole thing felt tacky ..... no air, humid and like a water park. Yuk. Just hated it.

We have been on something similar on Celebrity (the Solarium) and it was wonderful, feeling more like a private spa. Similarly, there was the open air version on Britannia that was adults only that we loved. It wasn't the fact that it was not adults only, it just wasn't at all inviting

I think the problem with all Grand class ships, and even the Royal class ones, is that the lido pool areas are also through routes to the buffet restaurant . Whereas the route to the buffet on the Celebrity Solstice class is via the sun deck and the main lifts also provide a route to the main access point, RCI's Voyager and Freedom ships are also similar, which leaves the pools free of passenger traffic.

Absolutely agree with scriv and presto2 on this. The inside pool is horrible on Ventura. Can't even bear to walk through it

We have been on something similar on Celebrity (the Solarium) and it was wonderful, feeling more like a private spa.

We've just booked a cruise on Celebrity partly on the back of positive comments we've read on CC but so far totally disgusted with the Customer service. Not a good start

Ironically, the Glass House on Ventura was the only part of the ship we really liked - far better than the one on Britannia ;-)

Ironically the Glass House is the only other part of the ship we don't like. It's as far from the initial concept of the Glass House as it is possible to be IMO. Wonder what Oli Smith thinks of it?

We've just booked a cruise on Celebrity partly on the back of positive comments we've read on CC but so far totally disgusted with the Customer service. Not a good start

Ironically the Glass House is the only other part of the ship we don't like. It's as far from the initial concept of the Glass House as it is possible to be IMO. Wonder what Oli Smith thinks of it?

Just our view of the ship and our cruise. If you read other reviews re Oceana and Britannia you will find that we have been more than happy. Chill

I think the problem with all Grand class ships, and even the Royal class ones, is that the lido pool areas are also through routes to the buffet restaurant . Whereas the route to the buffet on the Celebrity Solstice class is via the sun deck and the main lifts also provide a route to the main access point, RCI's Voyager and Freedom ships are also similar, which leaves the pools free of passenger traffic.

Just been thinking ---- on Britannia we had to go through the gym every time we wanted to go back to our cabin ... and on Oceana, the buffet was just above our cabin (be it about 2 decks away). It didn't bother us, but had we had to go through that indoor pool area it would have.

Looking at the original question we can see why some people do have negative things to say re Ventura. We do. BUT, people also have negative things to say about our favourite ships and ships we love, so it really is a case of 'horses for courses' .... if we all loved the same thing then just imagine how boring it would be !

Now, if they could build a newer, larger version of Oceana we would be more than happy ;-)

PS Returning to Celebrity this August as we were on Oceana in April -- it will be interesting to see how their older ships compare to P&O and our other cruises with them.