Escape/Live/Solo/Halloween '17

sid_9169

Before we get into the "red meat" of this "review", let me first enumerate exactly what you're about to endure... This will be my first attempt at a "live" review, so there may be a few bumps in the road along the way. Also, I have no intention of paying over $200 for NCL's on board internet, so I will have to fill in the gaps using local wifi in port, as well as my data from Verizon "Travel Pass"...

In addition, this will likely be less of a "review" and more just the story of my adventure on the Halloween sailing of the Norwegian Escape.

If you're hoping for expert photography or pictures of menus and such, you may want to check out other Escape reviews. For the Live portion of this report, I will rely solely upon my trusty, albeit outdated Motorola Droid Turbo II with no battery back-up device.

I have no solid game plan for this review, so it will just sort of happen organically. We'll start the adventure at my home, here in Atlanta, and make our way to Miami, documenting food and beverage and whatever else catches my eye along the way. So, put on something comfortable, and pour yourself a frosty adult beverage, and put on your seat belt for this epic journey to the Caribbean on the beautiful Norwegian Escape...

• Like 1

Before I go too much further forward, let me first go back a bit to the origins of this sailing... After becoming a "refugee" of the September 9th sailing of the Carnival Vista, I needed something to satiate my "cruise Jones"... A quick search revealed a decent deal for Halloween week on the Escape, and the wheels were in motion.

Due to hurricanes Irma and Maria, the original Eastern itinerary was switched to Western. I had just done this same route on the Escape back in May, but I'm always looking to find new experiences in familiar places. A bit more research revealed that this was also one of those "hosted singles" cruises, and I soon found myself as part of that group also...

So, now I'm in full on strategic cruise planning mode, and counting down the days to my first Halloween sailing.

In order to obtain the maximum effect, I would need to put together some kind of costume, which would mean checking a bag, which is something I've never done before. I normally do an entire vacation with just a carry on bag. I cobbled together some items that will hopefully prove to be amusing as well as unique for the occasion.

Now, I just need to make it through this work day, and my vacation can officially begin!...

Have a great trip!

I am also on this sailing and also did the same itinerary in March on the Getaway. All good with that though.

I did hear about the singles group one of my friends who is travelling with me on the cruise knows the folks in the singles group.

I leave tomorrow for Miami its only a 3 1/2 hour trip from my house but we like to get to Miami a day early.

This trip I am staying at the Holliday inn Biscayne Bay I usually do the Hilton Downtown or Marriot Biscayne using my points but that room came up cheap so I will try it.

As predicted, today's work day was quite grueling... My original plan was to have "a few beers" while packing. That has now been revised to "mezcal margaritas" with emphasis on the mezcal.

I have an Uber arranged for 7:50 tomorrow morning, in route to the Marta rail station, which will terminate at ATL (the busiest airport in the world) Although, the city council has urged referring to it as the "most travelled airport in the world...

2f37cc55378cde7c88a60a04e625e615.jpg

Sent from my Space Phone 9169...

A few drinks later, and the packing is complete...

b61126ee186d5362710b49d753d0d1b0.jpg

Cash, in all denominations, including over 2,000 peso's... I have a driver in Cozumel that I've been riding with for years. The plan this time is to find and consume all of the great margaritas Cozumel has to offer. From the East side to San Miguel, I have a route planned out, and with a bit of luck, I will conquer each and report back my conclusions...

82fe75ad48c73806451211bf237c9c93.jpg

At the gate awaiting the boarding call... The Uber showed up right on time, and my train was waiting in the station. Soon afterwards I was through the TSA pre check line, and purchased an obscenely expensive bottle of water... In a couple of hours I'll be in Miami, and another subway ride later, will arrive at the intercontinental hotel.

1e59abc9733f40a90edcbd4179e5144a.jpg

Looking forward to following along. Will be interested to hear your thoughts on the hosted singles group. I'm considering joining one of their groups in the future. Hope you have a great cruise! :)

On the ground here in Miami... I guess you can tell that I'm old school when it comes to transportation. I took the Metrorail from MIA to the government center station. From there, the Metro Mover to Bayside. Walked one block to the hotel. Total price = $2.25 and took about 20 minutes. A cab would have been around $30... That's $28 more towards happy hour drinks this afternoon...

199ddc1adb3251130d6eb2073ec7a0bd.jpg

f5707af286dd9d2ed0abd49f7c718ca9.jpg

457c94e9ce365df17033c0132559eaa3.jpg

b144ec573b62189a1f73a68cdc3c5ef1.jpg

698580bc38b8b99a3079b676e004878c.jpg

5886e124fd304cdd49c1c9ba9ea8062d.jpg

• Like 1

What was supposed to be a transcendental steak experience turned out to be a bust... Based upon TripAdvisor reviews and the proximity to my hotel, I planned to have dinner tonight at Wolfgang's Steakhouse. Supposedly one of the premier steahouses in Miami. I ordered their top shelf "prime dry aged ribeye" medium rare, at a hefty sum, upwards of $50... The first one came out more well done than desired, and things took a turn for the worse after that. The second steak was equally underwhelming... I ate about four or five bites of it and decided to just move on. The emptyness of the restaurant was indicative of my concern, but it was too late by then. The manager came out and apologized, but that did little to extinguish the large hole in my wallet this sub-par meal had cost me. I wasn't trying to get anything for free (and was not discounted one cent, by the way) I was honestly just hoping for a decent meal for the hundred plus dollars I shelled out... Below are photos of the pretty great thick cut bacon, the pretty good lobster mac and cheese, and the pretty not so good supposed "prime dry aged ribeye"...

Also, I will include a couple of photos of how busy this supposedly premier steak house was on a Friday night...

5e2014bf490cd6a67c517b60e4e68629.jpg

ce0b9c2ef65a8a9878a4328e2e921e8e.jpg

fe5809b71ae3c956f0bd1e47fb09e5b6.jpg

f0f82e271f11730336bdaece1be596e5.jpg

0d626b86984f6c5988b0b1e39ca31ff8.jpg

Edited by sid_9169

In addition to the absurdly over priced dinner I had tonight, I blew out a wheel on my trusty carry on bag... I noticed it was dragging earlier, but thought something was just caught in there. Sure enough, the wheel is totally shot... Hopefully things start to look up once I get on the ship tomorrow...

d98cd1c6c160407047adad72d1df8618.jpg

In addition to the absurdly over priced dinner I had tonight, I blew out a wheel on my trusty carry on bag... I noticed it was dragging earlier, but thought something was just caught in there...

If you need a new bag quick and cheap, there's a Ross about 2 blocks away from the hotel.

I'm sure you'll have a better day tomorrow since you'll be boarding the ship.

Sent from outerspace

Thank you all for your kind comments (mcmommy, detroitlions, zencruisers, Kealy, the_redhead, CazV, jenniferandwhatnot, Yorkvillain, keeser, and CoffeeGoddess) Hopefully things take a turn for the better starting in the morning... This will be my third time on the Escape, with the fourth coming up five weeks from tomorrow...