Do I need an ETA when entering Canada on a ship?

ollienbertsmum

I have tried doing a search and cannot find the answer I want.

I have been dealing with a TA but the actual person I was dealing with has changed. The first agent told me (correctly) that as a british citizen I would need an ESta to enter US. I have got that sorted. She told me that since I was entering Canada via a ship I would not need a Canadian ETA.

My docs have been given to me by a different member of staff. She told me that I would need a Canadian ETA in order to leave from Vancouver. She checked with her senior staff member.

I have looked on the website and it does not look to me as if I need this document. Silly to get it for the 4 of us if it is unnecessary. I don't want to not get it if I need it.

Can other UK citizens who have been on an Alaska - Canada cruise and departed Vancouver to the UK tell me what documents they had with them. Do I really need to get an ETA in order to fly from a Canadian airport once I have arrived in the country???

I have tried doing a search and cannot find the answer I want.

I have been dealing with a TA but the actual person I was dealing with has changed. The first agent told me (correctly) that as a british citizen I would need an ESta to enter US. I have got that sorted. She told me that since I was entering Canada via a ship I would not need a Canadian ETA.

My docs have been given to me by a different member of staff. She told me that I would need a Canadian ETA in order to leave from Vancouver. She checked with her senior staff member.

I have looked on the website and it does not look to me as if I need this document. Silly to get it for the 4 of us if it is unnecessary. I don't want to not get it if I need it.

Can other UK citizens who have been on an Alaska - Canada cruise and departed Vancouver to the UK tell me what documents they had with them. Do I really need to get an ETA in order to fly from a Canadian airport once I have arrived in the country???

Did you go to the official site? Contact them directly.

Edited by Budget Queen

CYYC is completely correct - and here's the link direct to the relevant government site to prove it. Yet again, a travel agent fail - sure, use them to get you a discount but given the incredible lack of qualifications required to become one and the utter lack of professional standards, assume anything else they tell you is wrong until you verify it yourself!!!

CYYC is completely correct - and here's the link direct to the relevant government site to prove it. Yet again, a travel agent fail - sure, use them to get you a discount but given the incredible lack of qualifications required to become one and the utter lack of professional standards, assume anything else they tell you is wrong until you verify it yourself!!!

Thanks everyone for clarifying. I had gone to the government site but could not find the information about needing the ETA to fly out.

Of course this is because it is not there!! You do not need one to depart.

I find visas and things quite scary. I have watched too many of those airport programmes where people are denied entry.

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, jimraeno1 said:

Hi ollienbertsmum, did you only show a British passport when arriving in Canada by cruise ship? Was anything said about the need (or no need) for a Canadian ETA? I'm finding the lack of clarity on the subject as well.

The info you got from your initial question already is correct Jim; you are not flying in therefore no eTA needed. Rules have not changed - you can fly OUT of Canada, or fly around domestically, just fine without one and arriving by sea or land also does not need one. The link I provided above remains the definitive place to get answers about eTAs - and for your convenience it says (in respect of UK citizens and other visa-exempt travelers) that: "These travellers do not need an eTA when arriving by car, bus, train or boat (including a cruise ship). "

• Like 1