No more tables for two

kruslu

Boarded QE today and the Daily Programme states for the Britannia Restaurant “We regret that tables for two are no longer available “. Is this cruise specific or a new policy?

Would agree that they are all allocated and no “free” tables for two. We had a table for 2 and there were quite a number in the Britannia MDR.

Enjoy your cruise OP, disembarked QE this morning after 2 glorious weeks around the Baltics.

That's why we sailed BC on our one and only Cunard cruise.We only sailed for the itinary,so had no choice.It is a joke of a system,IMO purely because of the extra elitest restaurants.Without those you would have anytime dining like all other cruiselines.

...our one and only Cunard cruise.....It is a joke of a system,....Without those you would have anytime dining like all other cruiselines.

You sailed once with Cunard and found you prefer other lines - perfect for you.

I and many others sail Cunard year after year and find the Cunard traditional way eg fixed seating just great and the way it should be - perfect for us.

That's why we sailed BC on our one and only Cunard cruise.We only sailed for the itinary,so had no choice.It is a joke of a system,IMO purely because of the extra elitest restaurants.Without those you would have anytime dining like all other cruiselines.

Do you consider first class travel on a train or plane elitist ?

Nothing elitist about it at all, this is a Brand or Product that we all have a choice of buying into.

There are several cruise lines who now follow Cunard , for example Celebrity have introduced a dining room for their suite guests .

We have done 12 crusies now with cunard and always asked for a table for 2 (or 4 if travelling with my parents) and we have always got what we have asked for

Yes some of the tables for 2 are so close to other tables for 2 you may as well have been on a table for 6 but thats another thread

We have always booked well in advance though so I think that is the trick to getting what you want

My partner would love to do the 6/8 tables but Im not socially gifted so we stick to just the 2 of us

I hope cunard stick with fixed times and without wishing to start arguments i see it as a “reward” for booking early is that i get what i ask for - its like booking an airline ticket - the later you book the less chance of the coveted row with 1 or 2 seats (as opposed to 5 abreast) the aisle seat etc etc

Sometimes this forum drives me insane - people want to bitch and complain but there are tonnes of other cruise lines to use if you want freedom dining then book a line that offer that OR book britannia club

Having just departed QE, I did not notice if table for two were available or not, as we always seem to be seated at a table for eight. The same table we have sat at hundreds of nights and never requested it.

It is always nice to be there as in my opinion it is the best seat in the house.

I would dislike freedom dining if Cunard ever bring it in.

Meeting different people from different parts of the world is so interesting . Sitting looking at my husband all cruise at dinner is a no no as I can do that every night at dinner in our home.

Having just departed QE, I did not notice if table for two were available or not, as we always seem to be seated at a table for eight. The same table we have sat at hundreds of nights and never requested it.

It is always nice to be there as in my opinion it is the best seat in the house.

I would dislike freedom dining if Cunard ever bring it in.

Meeting different people from different parts of the world is so interesting . Sitting looking at my husband all cruise at dinner is a no no as I can do that every night at dinner in our home.

You can still get 8 tops with anytime and get to meet different people every night.

Frankly, when sailing with Cunard, I would consider any table for two, at whatever level of accommodation, rather self defeating.

Perhaps, the defeatests, have their reasons for choosing a table for two, my husband and I included. Unless everyone on the table is happy to be in and out in 45 minutes, as well as us.

"Freedom Dining" which, in my opinion if having to share a table, is the freedom to have to explain 14 times on a two-week cruise, why you like cruising, why you dislike cruising, why you think the drinks cost too much and why you get along with packing four pairs of socks for the trip. Oh that and the "freedom" to be handed a beeper instead of a seat at a table unless you like dining at 6.30 pm or 8.30 pm.

Tables for two are usually not an issue and the existing set table assignment and sittings works just fine. I just wish they could manage it for breakfast and luncheon throughout.

"Freedom Dining" which, in my opinion if having to share a table, is the freedom to have to explain 14 times on a two-week cruise, why you like cruising, why you dislike cruising, why you think the drinks cost too much and why you get along with packing four pairs of socks for the trip. Oh that and the "freedom" to be handed a beeper instead of a seat a table unless you like dining at 6.30 pm or 8.30 pm.

Tables for two are usually not an issue and the existing set table assignment and sittings works just fine. I just wish they could manage it for breakfast and luncheon throughout.

You said it better than I did (on the poll thread). My experience is that Anytime/Freedom on other ships was a disappointment.

It just doesn't work. Didn't on Holland America and doesn't on Oceania, either unless you eat really early or really late. Sittings and set tables also is more efficient in preparation and serving, too. Oceania's menu and cuisine are simply out of this world as long as you enjoy being at the table for literally an hour and a half or longer on top of a 20 min wait for a table. It's just too complex and demanding a menu to be served in a free for all setting. Worse, if you're on a special diet (my wife is gluten free) and you are at the mercy of different stewards and appreciations for your diet.

CARONIA was died and gone to heaven in that the entire ship was essentially "Britannia Club" with a set table for breakfast, luncheon and dinner within a leisurely time frame for each.

You said it better than I did (on the poll thread). My experience is that Anytime/Freedom on other ships was a disappointment.

It just doesn't work.
I beg to differ. ‘My Time Dining’ on RCI, ‘Select’ on Celebrity and even ‘Your Time’ dining on Carnival works wonderfully imho without the need for pagers and you don’t need to be prepared to eat ridiculously early or late. The only line up to now where it was a joke was P&O with unacceptable wait times.

I agree that anytime dining is a bit misleading. My recent observation on Oriana was that there was already a considerable queue formed by 5.30pm before the restaurant opened at 6pm for all those wanting to eat early. As a result that filled all the tables up immediately so there was no rocking up at 6.30/7 o’clock as all the tables were taken. So by default it became two sittings anyway, with the added inconvenience of having to queue if you wanted to eat at 6pm.