Looking back at Cunard

Solent Richard

Earlier this year my wife and I spent a pre-cruise night in Los Angeles on board RMS Queen Mary.

We had, many years previous, visited her during a stop at Los Angeles...

42096674412_31157e6463_z.jpg

...while cruising on Queen Mary 2 and always thought what a fun experience it would be to spend the night onboard if ever the occasion arose.

We were not to be disappointed and I have recently written a review of the experience. It certainly gave us a more detailed insight into how things were in the Cunard's yesteryear.

I think we covered most areas of the ship which certainly has enough to interest the most casual of Cunard fans...

41027303482_e272020cef_z.jpg

We dined onboard that evening and even dressed for the occasion...

26198585117_79f7dba4da_z.jpg

Overall we were very pleased that we made the decision to stay onboard Queen Mary the night prior to our cruise. It made for a rather unique and interesting experience though we certainly would not recommend more than one night.

We would also recommend that if a stay or just a visit to Queen Mary is on one’s ‘bucket list’ then the sooner it is ticked off the better. We say this because there has definitely been considerable deterioration in the overall external appearance of the ship since our previous visit in 2009.

The full review, with over 60 photographs, can be found on my cruise blog, here is the link...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2018/06/21/a-night-onboard-queen-mary/

40336672870_87a5a839f2_z.jpg

Thank you so much for your as always very comprehensive review.

We stayed on Queen Mary prior to embarking on Queen Victoria a few years ago, and it was the perfect way to start our holiday.

I had been on the original Queen Elizabeth in 1962, and it brought back wonderful memories of that crossing.

Queen Mary is an absolute treasure.

My only complaint is that I had finally found something worse than Pol Acker. The sparkling wine served at brunch was rather nasty.