Tipping waiters

On our last night on Adventure, need to top out.. . We did already prepay our gratuities.

We are a party of 6 and have had tremendous service from these two gentlemen.. What is an acceptable amount to give? Someone in my party wants to give a hundred to each of them. Is that over the top? I'm just trying to justify spending more on tips than the prepaid grats.....

Thanks!

On our last night on Adventure, need to top out.. . We did already prepay our gratuities.

We are a party of 6 and have had tremendous service from these two gentlemen.. What is an acceptable amount to give? Someone in my party wants to give a hundred to each of them. Is that over the top? I'm just trying to justify spending more on tips than the prepaid grats.....

Thanks!

That is ridiculous IMO

Thanks!

For one week cruises when we have great service we tip (over standard gratuity) $20 for waiter and $10 for assistant. That's $30 for two of us which would equate to $90 for a party of six. A hundred each is generous but certainly not over the top.

It really is no one else's business what you or anyone else tips. A generous tip for one may be a medium or slim tip for someone else. It's in an envelope anyway and no one will know. Give what you want to give, if anything at all on top of the gratuities/auto-tip.

Oh geez I already made MTD for all 9 nights at 6pm for my party of 6. I'm guessing we will get the same waiters each night. So that's the scam. Now it's tip them over and above the dsc. On ncl we just show up at anytime with no ressies and are seated anywhere we ask. Never the same waiter 2x.

Please no commentary about going back to ncl because we want to try rccl. We keep our dsc in place which will be close to $900 for our party for 9 nights but honestly I'm just not handing over an additional $100

Of course I'm expecting posters to try to shame me now for that comment. However if you really think I should give cash I could just reduce the dsc by $100.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Oh geez I already made MTD for all 9 nights at 6pm for my party of 6. I'm guessing we will get the same waiters each night. So that's the scam. Now it's tip them over and above the dsc. On ncl we just show up at anytime with no ressies and are seated anywhere we ask. Never the same waiter 2x.

Please no commentary about going back to ncl because we want to try rccl. We keep our dsc in place which will be close to $900 for our party for 9 nights but honestly I'm just not handing over an additional $100

Of course I'm expecting posters to try to shame me now for that comment. However if you really think I should give cash I could just reduce the dsc by $100.

There is no obligation or expectation to pay more than the Standard Gratuities. Many cruisers do not, and there is absolutely no shame in it.

You must be confused with another group. No one cares what you have in place or how much or if any extra is involved. Maybe you should be talking to the crew of the ship.

IMO, so long as you leave the auto-grats on, nobody has a right to say boo to you about additional tipping or no additional tipping. I view the auto-grats differently because I know the crew gets substandard pay in the expectation that the grats will make up the difference, so I would never remove or reduce them, but after that I need to be really impressed to pony up more.

You must be confused with another group. No one cares what you have in place or how much or if any extra is involved. Maybe you should be talking to the crew of the ship.

Hard to believe that with almost 10,000 posts on this site you can say this about one of the most hotly argued issues on this site..

Oh geez.... So that's the scam...

Not "Oh geez" at all. You are in no way obligated to extend one cent more than the auto-gratuity. Everyone in the auto-gratuity who is included has been covered already. There is no "scam". The decision to give an additional tip is completely personal to each passenger. Many don't give extra.

Please just leave things as you have planned them and don't give it another thought. You sound upset and I don't want you to be, because Royal has a great product and I'm sure you will enjoy your cruise.

Your post is way out of line with anything posted in this thread. I do not understand your overreaction.

The OP asked how much to tip extra, IF HE WANTED TO TIP EXTRA.

Others weighed in on that question.

Why would you take that personally in any way, shape or form, or assume that somehow people care what YOU DO?

I just was gobsmacked by your post.

Thanks!

Do what you think is right. Tipping is a personal decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have only been on a few cruises but we have had tremendous service in the dining room each and every night. On our last night we have tipped the head waiter $100 and his/her assistant $60, but as others have said it's up to the individual whether to give an additional tip.

If service was mediocre then I would have given a different amount. I enjoyed sitting down to dinner each night and by the 2nd night they made an effort to address our preferences from the bread we liked to knowing DH always ordered 2 desserts.

Your post is way out of line with anything posted in this thread. I do not understand your overreaction.

Why would you take that personally in any way, shape or form, or assume that somehow people care what YOU DO?

I'm gobsmacked by your post. The OP is trying to justify paying extra, which sort of explains that he doesn't want to pay extra.

The post you quote is no more out of line than the majority of other posts on this thread, perhaps not quoting others that fall in line with your own mindset.

If you have received excellent service, then for a party of 6, £100 to each waiter seems reasonable. The amount per person, per night is not excessive.

Key point is that it isn't obligatory or required as you have already paid gratuities. You should only pay an extra tip because you want to and it is in appreciation of service which beats expectations.

I figured I'd get a reply like yours....but my point is...

I like MTD...I like that we don't have same waiters each night and on ncl that is what happens...

So now I'm trying out rccl...I want MTD...I made ressies because I'm hearing we should for our family if 6....but I'm not stupid...and can certainly see that the game plan will be to sit us with the same waiter at the same table each night....

So that means...and there is no denying it...that the waiter will be all over us on the last night looking for and extra tip...and of course I'll feel bad if I don't give one...

Again...I want to try rccl...so no need to say go back to ncl...but I also like NOT knowing the waiters...and sitting in differing locations in the mdr each night

I wonder what the hostess will say when I say I want different locations and waiters each night...probably...oh we can't guarantee that as we booked you with the same guy and table each night

It better be a good location lol

So that means...and there is no denying it...that the waiter will be all over us on the last night looking for and extra tip...and of course I'll feel bad if I don't give one...

No, he may be all over you asking for 10s on the after cruise survey, which may be more important than a tip.

So now I'm trying out rccl...I want MTD...I made ressies because I'm hearing we should for our family if 6....but I'm not stupid...and can certainly see that the game plan will be to sit us with the same waiter at the same table each night.... So that means...and there is no denying it...that the waiter will be all over us on the last night looking for and extra tip...and of course I'll feel bad if I don't give one... It better be a good location lol...

Wow. For someone who hasn't cruised with RCI before, you certainly claim to have it all figured out. I left you a polite reply earlier, which you ignored. I just feel that you are going out of your way to look for something that is not going to happen. You can have MTD every night and sit in the same general section and not have the same waiter, OR sit in an entirely different section each night. Just tell them what you want instead of assuming incorrectly and getting yourself all worked up and upset. OK? Please? :)

I figured I'd get a reply like yours....but my point is...

I like MTD...I like that we don't have same waiters each night and on ncl that is what happens...

So now I'm trying out rccl...I want MTD...I made ressies because I'm hearing we should for our family if 6....but I'm not stupid...and can certainly see that the game plan will be to sit us with the same waiter at the same table each night....

Again...I want to try rccl...so no need to say go back to ncl...but I also like NOT knowing the waiters...and sitting in differing locations in the mdr each night

I wonder what the hostess will say when I say I want different locations and waiters each night...probably...oh we can't guarantee that as we booked you with the same guy and table each night

It better be a good location lol

OVER 20 RCCL cruises and I have NEVER had waitstaff linger around expecting a rip.

What a RIDICULOUS comment.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

"That's the scam"? A scam? The waiters don't ask for anything extra. What's wrong with you?