Totem Bight or Saxon Village ?

CheckersMidwest

While in Ketchikan we're going to wander.....see Creek Street, shop, & lunch at Annabelle's. We're in port 7:00-1:00 so not a lot of time. I thought we'd take the bus or an Uber (yes, they have them, I checked :)) to see Totem Poles. Which is better....Totem Bight or Saxon Village. Why ?

You can absolutely take a bus to Totem Bight. You want to be on the silver line; simply catch one on Front Street (my interpretation of the bus schedule says that you should be picked up at 26 minutes after the hour) and ask the driver to let you know when to get off. As I recall, the bus stop was in front of a bunch of shops, was well-marked, and easy to find.

When we did this (in 2014), bus fare was $1 per person and half that for seniors. We thoroughly enjoyed wandering around Totem Bight and are in fact going to do the same thing when we're back in a few weeks. Cheapest excursion we've ever done, and it gave me some of the best pictures I've taken! The poles are beautiful and the scenery is so calm; it's a nice break from the busyness that can be an Alaskan port.

Enjoy!

I haven't been to Saxman (though I've had a glance at it driving by on the way to Herring Cove.

I like that Totem Bight has the totems in the rainforest so you get a nice stroll through nature while visiting them. You can download a sheet with descriptions of the totems or pick up one there.

Sent from my Pixel using Forums mobile app

We chose Saxman Village because there was no indications in the descriptions of Totem Bight that there was an active Carving Center operating there, nor that the visit to the clan house there included the kind of cultural song and dance experience that Saxman offers.

attachment.php?attachmentid=425453&stc=1&d=1532172305

attachment.php?attachmentid=425454&stc=1&d=1532172306

attachment.php?attachmentid=425455&stc=1&d=1532172306

attachment.php?attachmentid=425456&stc=1&d=1532172306

DSCN2213.JPG.b8eed3db50ef42ba2497e575054ab706.JPG

DSCN2220.JPG.b55f7cf40378f4262ef905c3121ec1ca.JPG

DSCN2226.JPG.6949f467d06dda4f85b71ca1d730dce9.JPG

DSCN2284.JPG.52d9e48c16f285b08fe0b11b656d0ee7.JPG

I was just in Ketchikan and some was asking the visitors center about Uber. He said they have “one Uber driver”. So, yes they have it, but I might not rely on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How long does the bus take to get to Totem Bight? With such a short port time, I need to be strategic with our visit. I want to see Creek Street & shop a little. We're planning lunch at Annabelle's.....they open at 10:30. I assume I need to be there about then so the wait isn't too long & we have time to eat & be back on the ship before 12:30. Any suggestions ? In order to do multiple things, should we just go up the finicular to those totem poles?!

IF you go to Totem Bight you HAVE to be on the 7:20++a bus. As mentioned it is the Silver line, correct cash only, $2pp each way. Pick up the bus, at Front and Dock Streets. you HAVE to cross the street. You will be there by 8am. Pick up is the same as the drop off.

Since you may be there before it opens, I'd suggest you print out and take with you the totem guide. http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/units/totembgh.htm

Last season, there was an entrance fee, but, I don't have current information. Bus leaves 10++ past the hour, so leaving by 10++ gives you time for your other activities. Fit in what you can.

How long does the bus take to get to Totem Bight? With such a short port time, I need to be strategic with our visit. I want to see Creek Street & shop a little. We're planning lunch at Annabelle's.....they open at 10:30. I assume I need to be there about then so the wait isn't too long & we have time to eat & be back on the ship before 12:30. Any suggestions ? In order to do multiple things, should we just go up the finicular to those totem poles?!

You possibily can be back downtown, before 10, if you move along in Totem Bight and return on the 9++am bus. Depends on you.

But your "assumptions" about Annabelle's is noted by hundreds of cruise passengers, and I've seen people lined up at 9am. If you do go there for "lunch", and Totem Bight, likely that will be it.

When I was there last August and this May, the funicular was out of commission. I asked at a store near the base of the funicular & was told that repair is held up waiting for a part - apparently, it is very hard to get parts for so don't count on it.

Why not take a taxi to Totem Bight? I've read that the bus takes about an hour. By taxi, it's about 20 minutes.

Sent from my Pixel using Forums mobile app

We did Totem Bight in June. Originally we were going to take the city bus and tour on our own with the printed totem guide. Once on the cruise we decided to book the tour through the ship. We enjoyed the totems and walking through the park, which is the rain forest. The ship tour bus went directly to the park and we felt we got more out of having a tour guide than reading the paper guide on a self-tour. I think the entrance fee was $5 but wasn't paying close attention. We have not been to Saxman Village but also considered it.

On HAL N Amsterdam, in Ketchikan on Thur 8/23, 10-6: was planning on bus to Totem Bight, but not sure we want to commit 90 min to bus ride. How much is cabfare, and are there enough cabs available with 4 ships in town?

• 2 weeks later...

We are going in a couple weeks and have the Herring Cove Bear Adventure booked through the cruise line which ends around 11:45 am. We would like to see Totem Bight as well. How long would you recommend being there to see the totems? I'm not sure we can make it there and back on the ship by 3 pm even with taking a taxi. How easy is it to get a taxi from Totem Bight back to the ship?