Delta Queen September 18

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 12:09 AM.
17 Posts
Joined Jul 2005
Is anyone going on this cruise from Chattanooga to Cincinnati? Can anyone tell us information about the cruise, the parking in Cincinnati, shore excursions, etc. We are staying in a C cabin. Anyone know about these? Appreciate some feedback.
New York and Florida
76 Posts
Joined Feb 2004
Hopefully Calliope will help you out with the parking in Cincinnati. The landing has parking but don't know the limitations. We'll be heading down the Cumberland for the first time in early September so can't tell you about that part of the trip. I can tell you that Paducah offers a great shore excursion to the Seaman's Institute. I think it's called "Rollin' on the River" and includes experiencing a towboat simulator which allows you to pilot a towboat. Very realistic. Paducah also has a great quilt museum, interesting even if you don't quilt. And you can't miss the beautiful murals on the flood walls. Madison is a lovely, friendly town. We wandered around on our own there, taking advantage of the shuttle and getting some exercise. Can't help you with the other towns but research with google should acquaint you with some possibilities.
We have a C room booked for 2006 and it's the first time we've had one. I do know they're roomier with a real closet (as opposed to hanging bars) than the rooms we've always had. Hey, anything to be able to go on more trips!!
Have a great time.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Any Day on the River is a Good Day.
Charleston, Charleston Made in Carolina
1,799 Posts
Joined Sep 2001
The handiest parking to the Cincinnati Public Landing is at the Queen City Square Garage (a.k.a. The "New" Western Southern Garage) on the corner of Sycamore and Third Streets in downtown Cincinnati. It's a short walk (drive) to or from the landing. The cost is $8.00 a day. The garage is tended most of the night, but for a few short hours it is "closed". During that time there is no access to or from the garage.

Sloegin, not all C rooms have closets. Some of them just have the brass racks that you mentioned. I was in 213 for the trip up from Memphis this past spring, and that room just has a rack. 235, 236, 323, 324,327 and 328 do not have closets either. The sun deck C rooms that were added during 1993, where the boat's officers quarters were, do indeed have closets; they are room numbers 311, 312, 313, 314, 315, and 316.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
"When we presently got under way and went poking down the broad Ohio, I became a new being and the subject of my own admiration. I was a traveler!"
Mark Twain
New York and Florida
76 Posts
Joined Feb 2004
Calliope, thanks for putting me straight. Since there has been so much remodeling over the years, I should have know that they weren't all the same. As we've found out, not all G's are the same either. We're in 212 for the trampin' trip next year so guess we get a closet!! That will be a bit of a change.
Granny, any other questions? One of us ought to be able to help out.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Any Day on the River is a Good Day.
Cincinnati, Ohio
3,595 Posts
Joined Sep 2000
Congrats on your booking Granny 41! Are you planning on dropping your car off in Cincinnati and then flying down to Chattanooga? There are other options besides leaving the car downtown.

There is parking on the public landing but I would not recommend doing so for many reasons. It is owned by the city and is not tended to for one thing. Another would be they close portions of it (flagged off most of it) or all of it at times for events and the theater boat the Showboat Majestic. Calliope is correct in that the Queen City garage is an option. However, I would plan on picking up/dropping off the luggage at the public landing versus hiking up to the parking lot with it in tow. It's a good 4 blocks away some of which is uphill. It's no problem though for one person to wait while the other gets their car and drive down for pickup.

I live in Cincinnati and am pretty familiar with the area so if you have any questions just ask!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Maureen

Is it cruise time yet?

Grand Princess 4/29/2018
Charleston, Charleston Made in Carolina
1,799 Posts
Joined Sep 2001
Parking is not allowed overnite on the Cincinnati Public Landing. The police will tow, and if the river comes up, car engines have been known to become a bit cantankerous after such a bath!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
"When we presently got under way and went poking down the broad Ohio, I became a new being and the subject of my own admiration. I was a traveler!"
Mark Twain