++**Mississippi Queen Roll Call, 7/30/2005, sign in**++

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 06:56 AM.
NJ, USA
3,479 Posts
Joined May 2001
Hello there! Looking to start the fun early for this sailing. Sign on and let us know who you are! (P.S. If you just view but aren't sailing, just say "Hi", I'm getting lonely here )
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sandy
Losin' for the Mouse!!!
Disney visits every year!!
Carn. Jubilee, Nov 13,2000
NCL Sea, July 22,2001
Cel Zenith Oct 19, 2002
Carn. Pride Aug 27, 2003
NCL Dawn, Oct. 31, 2004-CC Halloween cruisers
Mississippi Queen, July 30, 2005
Mississippi Queen, Aug. 6, 2005
Camping at the Delaware River, Sept. 9, 2006

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum...ysprune=&f=149
Cincinnati, Ohio
3,595 Posts
Joined Sep 2000
Hi Sandy.

It's about as sleepy on this board as it is on the other one you posted on. Don't expect a rollcall on the Delta Queen boats. The clientel is mostly Seniors and they don't hang out on cruise ship message boards. My parents have gone on all of them (and I've toured all them). I only decided to book to do a RT sampler out of my hometown and got a fantastic rate. I don't expect anyone to answer my July posting below. These boats are more catered to a Laid-back non-party type of atmosphere. I could never imagine booking one for a week but maybe many years from now when I retire. However, there are many who absolutely love it.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Maureen

Is it cruise time yet?

Grand Princess 4/29/2018
6,244 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
We just finished our week round trip out of New Orleans. We had a great time and it was a different experience from ocean cruising. Plus we were blessed with great weather. I am glad we didn't go a week later because thunder showers were forecast for the entire week.

There was lots going on each night in the Paddlewheel lounge each night. It was difficult to find a chair or get elbow room on the dance floor during the first sets. When the food came out after 11 pm things thinned out.

We enjoyed just sitting on the bow in the rocking chairs watching the river go by. We had a great riverlorean named Bill. If he is still on, do not miss any of his talks. The entertainers were great...(Jim / Mike / Traci / Laura) but I think they were finishing up on our trip.

The one disappointment was the dining. With such a small galley, it became evident they did not do their own baking. Dinner rolls and morning pastries were not fresh. Chicken and fish many times were dry and over cooked. All the beef I had was excellent though. We just had expectations to eat like we do on cruise ships. Another plus is the coffee was brewed and fresh.

As far as being only seniors, I would say it was comparable to the Princess population.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
My Travel Photos @: http://community.webshots.com/user/chasetf
Completed Cruises
Jul 63 SS France, Europe / Trans Atlantic
Mar 91 Starward, Eastern Caribbean
Dec 91 Dawn Princess, Mexican Rivera
Jul 99 Nieuw Amsterdam, Alaska (Northbound)
Aug 01 SS Independence, Hawaii My Independence Photos
Apr 02 Royal Princess, Panama Canal
Apr 03 Dawn Princess, Trans Pacific / Hawaii
Aug 03 Grand Princess, Western Caribbean
Aug 03 Grand Princess, Eastern Caribbean
Nov 03 Ryndam, Mexican Rivera
Apr 04 Zenith, Southern Caribbean
Sep 04 Regal Princess, Canada / New England My Regal Photos
Feb 05 Tahitian Princess, Tahiti / Cook Islands My Tahitian Princess - Cook Photos
Feb 05 Tahitian Princess, Tahiti / Marquesas Islands My Tahitian Princess - Marquesas Photos
Apr 05 Dawn Princess, Panama Canal Ft Laud to SF My Dawn Princess - Panama Canal Photos
May 05 Mississippi Queen, Mississippi River My Mississippi Queen Photos
Sep 05 Grand Princess, Eastern Med / Greek Isles My Grand Med / Greek Isle Photos
Apr 06 Dawn Princess, CA Coast / Mexican Rivera My Dawn Princess Mex Rivera Photos
Aug 06 Golden Princess, British Isles My Golden Princess Photos
Feb 07 Sapphire Princess, Australia / New Zealand My Sapphire Princess Photos
Jan 10 Sapphire Princess, Mexican Rivera

Upcoming Cruises
TBD
58 Posts
Joined Jun 2002
Thanks. Methinks you saved me. Will not book. Have other trips on my "short list" Did the rubber chicken and dried fish on a Danube Cruise this fall.
Germany
13,116 Posts
Joined Oct 2004
juliedawg,

I´m sorry you decided not to book because of just one review stating that food isn´t good. I´m sure you will miss a very unique experience. I never made a bad experience regarding the food on my 6 cruises. I found it always excellent exspecially if you chose the dailies river fare. I am German and on my first trip to the US I didn´t have any high expectations about food (more prejudices ) but I was surprised by what I´ve got and exspecially on the boats. Sure lobster in Maine is better than on a riverboat. But you also won´t eat Gumbo in Maine . Also read my posting in the "Food Quality" thread.

steamboats
New York and Florida
76 Posts
Joined Feb 2004
and I do all my trip planning online. You're right in saying a high percentage of passengers on the Delta Queen Lines are "mature" but most of are indeed computer literate and keep in touch via email. Somehow many have not found their way here.
Unfortunately, I'm hearing that the food quality on the Mississippi Queen and American Queen seems to have gone down hill this past year and I don't have the answer as to why. The two trips we took on the MQ included some fine meals. However our favorite boat the Delta Queen has continued to be blessed with good food and excellent service. Someone mentioned the beef. I've never had a tough or tasteless cut there. The experience of river travel however far outshines the occasional less than perfect meal. My poor old body almost welcomes a respite from rich food and too much of it.
Cheers
Sloegin
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Any Day on the River is a Good Day.
Charleston, Charleston Made in Carolina
1,797 Posts
Joined Sep 2001
Sloegin,

Did you make the trip from Memphis to Cincinnati on the DELTA QUEEN in late April? It seems to this feeble brain of mine that you mentioned you were going to be onboard.

I thought the food and service coming up from Memphis were excellent, but that the DQ's scheduling was a bit off! ;-)

Regards,
Calliope
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
"When we presently got under way and went poking down the broad Ohio, I became a new being and the subject of my own admiration. I was a traveler!"
Mark Twain
New York and Florida
76 Posts
Joined Feb 2004
Yes, we were on and were so disappointed to miss the race. Those responsible for scheduling had better get it together. It's an impossible task to get to Louisville in time against the usual spring rising river. We did get the mint julep party, the horseshow of roses and some great stories from Miss Jane and Doc Hawley.
Are you saying you were on? How did I miss you? You must remember I travel incognito as gray haired grandma.
Cheers.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Germany
13,116 Posts
Joined Oct 2004
Sloegin,

I can confirm that maybe 95% or more of the DQSC passengers I have met are online but obviously don´t use this board. Regarding me, I´m still far away from being a senior and I´m booking my vacations mainly online.

I felt so sorry for all on the DQ race cruise. Let´s sum it up with they could have made it in time with changing their priorities. I know you all received a nice letter of apologize and a little lagniappe. For a couple of hours we considered to come over just for the race as Lufthansa had a special celebration its 50th birthdays. We thought about flying to Chicago and taking a rental car down to Louisville and ride the Belle for the race. After having a look on our this years vacation plans and our budget we skipped that idea and I´m glad we did.

Sloegin, I´m really concerned about the decline in the food quality. I know about the reasons on the AQ. Do you have any recent experiences on the MQ and which ones?

Just got my docs for the Great Steamboat Race. At least here no boat has to reach a certain place in a certain time so I can be sure that this "race" will take place .

steamboats
NJ, USA
3,479 Posts
Joined May 2001
Originally posted by juliedawg
Thanks. Methinks you saved me. Will not book. Have other trips on my "short list" Did the rubber chicken and dried fish on a Danube Cruise this fall.
Juliedog, I hope you find your perfect cruise vacation! I try to be careful about forming an opinion based on one review, though I do take occasional bad reviews into account. Sometimes a small shift in personnel can interfere with food or service consistency. Also, I've found that different people have different expectations and what is good to some is lousy to another. THese boards are the bst, though, for getting honest appraisals that the cruise marketing people don't get out there.

THanks for the review, Chasetf. I believe it was on Celebrity where there were donuts hot and fresh every morning, so I know what you mean about the bakery onboard. I can still taste those donuts!!!!!!!!!!

uvcruisin, your description of the ship sounds perfect for me. Even though I'm 40-ish, I'd rather hang out with seniors than have hoards of teens blocking hallways and drunken 20-somethings who haven't yet learned that throwing up is not the hallmark of an evening well spent (ah, how I miss those days, though )

If you read the boards for the large cruise ships, you'll see that this is really becoming a problem. I'd cruise with seniors ANY DAY! I sailed Celebrity Zenith and found the mostly senior crowd was a BLAST.

SLoegin and Calliope, thanks for your input. I have hope again about the food on MQ! I'm so sorry you missed your race. That really is disappointing!

Hi Steamboats. Goodness! It isn't often I have to look up a word these days, but I had no idea what a lagniappe was! Here is the definition in case others had not been exposed to this word either. Thanks for raising my cultural awareness! You sound like a real interesting person.

Lagniappe derives from New World Spanish la ñapa, “the gift,” and ultimately from Quechua yapay, “to give more.” The word came into the rich Creole dialect mixture of New Orleans and there acquired a French spelling. It is still used in the Gulf states, especially southern Louisiana, to denote a little bonus that a friendly shopkeeper might add to a purchase. By extension, it may mean “an extra or unexpected gift or benefit.”

Well, carry on!

Sandy
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sandy
Losin' for the Mouse!!!
NCL Sea, July 22,2001
Cel Zenith Oct 19, 2002
Carn. Pride Aug 27, 2003

Germany
13,116 Posts
Joined Oct 2004
Sandy,

I made my first cruise on the DQ now 10 years ago at the age of 28 just having finished my studies at university and being at my first job. I wouldn´t have come back if I hadn´t liked it. I wish I could it do more often but time and money don´t allow it (we have to fly to the US from Germany too which adds a lot to your vacation budget). I´m not the party type of girl so I never found it boring to cruise with seniors (more relaxing). Being far below the average age and being German usually helped to meet a lot of interesting people. On our second cruise the Captain thought my DH is the guy to repair the radio as he carried around his photo bag. This ended up in a nice conversation each time we met aboard.

Thanks for your great for your perfect definition of "lagniappe"!! That´s something you learn on a steamboat . Believe me I didn´t even find this word in my dictionary!

I´m sure you will enjoy your cruise very much!

steamboats
NJ, USA
3,479 Posts
Joined May 2001
Hi Steamboats,

I have no idea why, but I imagined you were a guy. I just figured it out now. You sound like an interesting person. It is a long flight to get here from Germany, isn't it? I usually only cruise out of NYC, my home port, but I will also make an exception for the steamboat experience.

I was in Germany after high school. I forget exactly where, but I remember a town called Dinkelsbuel (probably spelled wrong) and a castle with all these hidden fountains that squirt water at you. Your country is beautiful.

I liked your comments on the last post. I have a tendency to try and be positive also, but I do look here for warnings because they are important. I also know alot of large cruise lines monitor these boards and your voice can be heard because bad comments are bad PR, so an honest observation of a problem should be voiced.

Some people, especially on the large lines, just complain for no reason. I was once on a cruise to Mexico where there was the most dreadful poverty you could imagine. These people were compaining on the bus that the tourist industry should put some kind of screen so we don't have to see the cinder block huts and kids sleeping on mats. IT was scary to see. Back on board, this loud family was compaining because the lines for the buffet were too long and they were not happy with the food. (I thought it was great!) I was still feeling a little upset about the people with no shoes and dirty kids eating cereal out of the box for lunch while they sat outside the public restrooms to hand us towels. I had to walk away from them!

I also enjoy meeting the crew while onboard a cruise. I keep in touch with a sweet lady who rented tuxes with Carnival and a maitre d' who is on NCL Dawn by e-mail. (The Dawn is the one that was hit by the 70 foot tidal wave). ONe of my fondest memories is going out for drinks with our steward and his freinds in Bermuda.

Can you tell me a little about the weather in the summer on the river? Is it really hot? I've visited New Orleans and Charleston in the summer and almost died, and I am pretty heat tolerant.

Have a great day!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sandy
Losin' for the Mouse!!!
NCL Sea, July 22,2001
Cel Zenith Oct 19, 2002
Carn. Pride Aug 27, 2003

Germany
13,116 Posts
Joined Oct 2004
Hi Sandy,

Depending on where we fly to it´s about 8 to 9 hours to Chicago or Washington, DC. Those are the main airports for the Mid-West. And then we have to connect to whereever (NOLA, St. Louis, Cincinnati...). I know Dinkelsbuehl which is a marvellous little town! And you spelled it nearly correct, just missing an "h" which can´t be heard anyway.

I think if you want to complain you will always find a reason even if other passengers won´t see it like the one complaining. I´m very patient and usually it takes a good reason for me to complain. We did complain when the milk & cookies finally were delivered to our stateroom as part of the kids´ program as they were delivered to our cabin with our daughter sleeping inside and the "Do not disturb" sign hanging on the door. Exspecially food can have its ups and downs. But I think there´s nothing to complain if on an overall view it is o.k.. Nobody is perfect. If the quality is lacking throughout the whole cruise than it´s a point to complain about. Me too I won´t make up my mind by just a single opinion. Unfortuantely this board isn´t too busy to get a variety of opinions. And with steamboat buffs like me we´ll tend to be more positive as we love the boats.

You´re on the Nashville - Chattanooga cruise in the end of July, aren´t you. I think it will be quite hot and humid on this cruise. Humidity might be more on the boats than on shore tours (it´s always more humid on the river than on shore). Expect temperatures in the 90ies. By the way two years ago we had an excemptional heat wave in Germany and it was "colder" on our cruise with upper 90ies than at home . The Cumberland and Tennessee rivers are narrow compared to the Mississippi and Ohio rivers. But the landscape is really scenic and it feels like you can touch the shore. I love those houses sitting high on poles overlooking the river. We saw a some bald eagles on our cruise there (but in October) and lots of other birds. It´s a great initerary you´re on exspecially for Civil War buffs.

steamboats
1,797 Posts
Joined Sep 2001
Originally posted by sloegin
Are you saying you were on? How did I miss you? You must remember I travel incognito as gray haired grandma.
Cheers.
Yes, I was there, and next to Ruthie I had the second most number of trips under my belt. That trip was number 102 on the DQ boats. Oh, and if you bought a ROBT. E. LEE./ NATCHEZ medallion minted by The Steam Ship Historical Society of America, that was me who sold it to you. And once again, a hearty thank you!

Jane and Captain "Doc" are personal friends of mine, and are wonderful individuals. I've had them to my house for dinner, and the river stories they told that evening were wonderful, interesting, and in some instances if I didn't know them I'd say ...no way!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
"When we presently got under way and went poking down the broad Ohio, I became a new being and the subject of my own admiration. I was a traveler!"
Mark Twain
NJ, USA
3,479 Posts
Joined May 2001
Steamboats,
Wow! Your weather description reminded me of the scene in "Cat On a Hot Tin Roof" with young Elizabeth Taylor when she says "It isn't the heat, it's the humidity". Tell me, please, for my hubby's sake, is the ship air conditioned?

Off topic, but when I was in Germany we stayed ina hotel that had a row of rooms that were giant beer or wine kegs. Do you happen to know the name of that hotel?

Calliope and Sloegin, did you two actually meet in person?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sandy
Losin' for the Mouse!!!
NCL Sea, July 22,2001
Cel Zenith Oct 19, 2002
Carn. Pride Aug 27, 2003

New York and Florida
76 Posts
Joined Feb 2004
- The last time we were on the MQ was last summer (the changed itinerary because of high water and the MQ couldn't get under the bridges up to Pittsburgh - perhaps we're bad luck!) and the food was pretty good. I once read that the average 7 day cruise includes 3 meals you just love, 2 or 3 that are average and 1 that's pretty awful. Other than personal likes and dislikes I didn't have any complaints. I do think the DQ serves better prepared food. As mentioned some people are never satisfied and must have something to complain about, but there have been enough comments to make me believe that both the MQ and AQ are having problems that must be solved.
On another note, when you get back from the Empress of the North trip, be sure to do a review. We booked a trip for '06 and I'll have lots of questions.
Cheers.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
New York and Florida
76 Posts
Joined Feb 2004
AHA - mystery solved. I think you must be the tall gentleman who had a personal interest in making the steamboat race. Yes, we met but you might not remember. Had no idea you were the correspondent "Calliope". How neat!! See how well my disguise worked?
We're booked for the St. Louis-Nashville trip in August and Captain Mike's Trampin' Cruise next September.
Totally addicted!!
Cheers.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
New York and Florida
76 Posts
Joined Feb 2004
As you can tell from the post above, Calliope and I did actually meet but didn't know it! That's the interesting thing about these forums. Actually he hasn't posted in a long time but neither have I, so it's amazing that he actually remembered I was going to be on.
Perhaps the same thing will happen to us one day.
Cheers.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
NJ, USA
3,479 Posts
Joined May 2001
Sloegin,
You are right, meeting people is one of the interesting things about these boards. A few years ago I started a cruise roll call and about 10 of us got together and independently (not through ship excursion) booked a helmet diving tour by communicating online, then calling the owner.

Well, I'm sitting in the ship hot tub at sea talking with a man who tells me he is taking his wife and daughter on the same tour. I discovered he was a "lurker" on our website and booked the same tour on our tip, but never posted. When he figured out who I was, he said "You are Sandycruise!" and we had a good laugh.

It would be my pleasure to meet you some day. Of all the places I've been and all the great things I've experienced, it's been the people that have the most interest.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sandy
Losin' for the Mouse!!!
NCL Sea, July 22,2001
Cel Zenith Oct 19, 2002
Carn. Pride Aug 27, 2003

1,797 Posts
Joined Sep 2001
Originally posted by sloegin
AHA - mystery solved. I think you must be the tall gentleman who had a personal interest in making the steamboat race. Yes, we met but you might not remember. Had no idea you were the correspondent "Calliope". How neat!!
Yep, that was me! My father was the BELLE OF LOUISVILLE's weekend chief engineer from 1982 until 1995. Dad passed away in February, and I had the large cotton U.S. flag from his casket that Capt. Kevin Mullen from the Steamer BELLE OF LOUISVILLE was going to fly from her vergestaff during the Great Kentucky Derby Steamboat Race. Unfortunately because of the DQ's delays the flag did not make it in time. Nevertheless all of the BELLE's flags were at half-staff in tribute to my father during the race. I think that was a very classy thing to do, but steamboat people are like that!

Regards
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Mark Twain