"Must try" foods of the Caribbean?

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 03:15 AM.
24 Posts
Joined Apr 2006
I have read a few articles on caribbean foods (caribbean lobster, black pinapple, etc.). Would like to hear some other experiences and what you would recommend to try and definitely what you would recommend to stay away from!

Thanks!
Madison, WI
46 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
Well, I'm the adventurous sort, and have a love of "native" cuisines. In the Caribbean (for me) that has meant:
1. Ackee and salt cod in Jamaica
2. "Jerk" in Jamaica
3. Pibil in Cozumel
4. Dogfish (aka "shark") in Cozumel
5. Conch (of course!) in Key West

DW and I are on Legend of the Seas on 2/10, so I'll be looking for other things to try. Perhaps something a little more upscale this time to make up for any deificiencies in RCCI's cuisine.
3,137 Posts
Joined Jul 2004
Conch fritters and guava duff from Bahamas. YUMMM!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Digital Curator
Celebrity Reflection
(11-Day Holiday Caribbean 22/12/17)

Celebrity Equinox
(14-Day Holiday S. Caribbean 19/12/16)

Celebrity Summit
(7-Day S. Caribbean 20/02/16)

Celebrity Summit
(7-Day S. Caribbean 01/02/14)

Jewel of the Seas
(16-Day Transatlantic 31/08/12)
Celebrity Millennium
(10-Day S. Caribbean 14/01/11)

Independence of the Seas
(6-Day Belize and Mexico 15/03/09)
Serenade Sourdoughs
(Serenade of the Seas 14-Day Alaska 03/05/08)
East Coast Explorers
(Explorer of the Seas 9-Day Re-positioning 03/11/06)
Navigator of the Seas
(7-Day E. Caribbean 15/01/05)
Highland Mills, NY
901 Posts
Joined Aug 2006
Other that some of the other suggestions listed above here are a couple of others:

Jamaica curried goat
Callalloo soup (mostly Southern Carribean"
Roti - again southern Carribean
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Zuiderdam Eastern Carib 3/31/2007
Crown Princess Southern Carib 2/23/2008
Brilliance of the Seas Western Med 7/26/2010
Nieuw Amsterdam Western Carib 11/20/2011
Southwest side of Indianapolis
4,339 Posts
Joined Oct 2005
We ate an authentic Jamaican meal with our shore excursion. Although I couldn't tell you the name of anything we ate, it was UNBELIEVABLE! I would highly recommend sampling some things, even if you might think you wouldn't like them. I was pleasantly surprised.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Erin
Proud member of the Hoosier Cruisers! Come join in at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=410649

Click here to send me an e-mail. Be sure to put Cruise Critic in the subject line!

Upcoming Cruises:

RCCL Legend of the Seas 11/03/14

Completed Cruises:

RCCL Explorer of the Seas B2B 12/03/12 & 12/13/12
RCCL B2B Liberty of the Seas 12/5/11-12/15/11
RCCL Grandeur of the Seas 02/01/09
RCCL Monarch of the Seas 01/18/09
RCCL Explorer of the Seas 11/30/2008
RCCL B2B2B Monarch of the Seas 11/26/07-12/08/07
RCCL Liberty of the Seas Pre-Innaugural 05/06/07 Review
RCCL Freedom of the Seas 01/07 Review of our shore excursion with pics!
RCCL Adventure of the Seas 04/06 Review PICS!!
Carnival Inspiration 01/05
Wheaton, IL USA
2,184 Posts
Joined May 2000
Our tour guide, Chester, from Barrett Adventures took us to Scotchies, a "jerk joint" for lunch. We had Jerk pork, chicken, breadfruit, yams and something called a Fiesta (not the right word) that was a type of doughnut.

This place was definitely off the beaten tourist track. Dirt floors, thatched huts and a counter where you ordered and picked up your food. It was delicious and I didn't even need a Zantac when we got back to the ship.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Zenith '93-Western Caribbean, Horizon '94-Southern Caribbean, Century '98-Western Caribbean, Grandeur of the Seas '00-Southern Caribbean, Summit '02-Hawaii to Vancouver, Mercury '03-Alaska, Summit '06-LA to Hawaii RT, Coral Princess '07-Panama Canal, Grand Princess '08-Western Caribbean, Grand Princess '12-Eastern Caribbean, Island Princess '13-Alaska, Silhouette '14-Western Caribbean, Vision of the Seas '15-Mediterranean.
nyc
111 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
The Fiesta is called a festival. I can see how these two words are confused. It's basically a sweetened fried dumpling and is served with a lot of meals.

Also - for those of you who are interested - roti is served on many of the islands, although it is more famous in Trinidad or Guyana. Roti is a flat bread (like a torilla) that is cooked on a flat iron, filled with curried meat/vegetables and rolled up - like a burrito. I recommend it.

I also recommend dobbles (curried garbanzo beans in a split pea flour fried bread) and poulari with tamarind chutney. Both of these will be found at West Indian food spots.

Oddly enough I also love to eat Chinese food in the islands as it really tastes like fusion at its best (or worst depending).

Try ice cream in Mexico. It's really rich.

I eat the street food everywhere I go. Then I really taste the food as the locals eat. I often come back with local recipes that I cook at home.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
NCL Pearl 2009
HAL Noordam 2007
Celebrity 2005
San Jose
321 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
When my husband and I went on our Mexican Riviera cruise, we got a Frommer's guide for that area and we looked up their favorite places to eat. They were never wrong, and we had lunches that were absolutely to die for in Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta. The places were not big touristy destinations, so we never would have found them without the travel guide. They make those for the Caribbean, too, and I highly recommend getting one before you sail. We've found awesome things to eat and are able to arrange our own shore activities as well. Frommer's are always reliable and never steer you astray (although the Blue Books are the best in Hawaii and Lonely Planet books are much better for some destinations).
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Barbara
Southern California
37,429 Posts
Joined Oct 2005
Originally posted by sanjosebarbie
When my husband and I went on our Mexican Riviera cruise, we got a Frommer's guide for that area and we looked up their favorite places to eat. They were never wrong, and we had lunches that were absolutely to die for in Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta. The places were not big touristy destinations, so we never would have found them without the travel guide. They make those for the Caribbean, too, and I highly recommend getting one before you sail.
That is a good idea. Thank you.
Anderson, Indiana
1,158 Posts
Joined Oct 2003
"Jerk" in Jamaica
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Miracle 12/06/09
Carnival Triumph 09/07/2008
Carnival Conquest 10/03/2004
Carnival Glory 9/13/2003
Carnival Jubilee 10/01/2001

Proud member of the Hoosier Cruisers!

<a href="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Carnival_Group/?yguid=164287215" target="_blank">Carnival Group Page</a>

Sun, sand, family and meeting new friends to share it all with. PRICELESS!!!!!
13 Posts
Joined Mar 2007
I had a dish called mofungo in San Juan, Puerto Rico. It seems to be comprised of a variety of meats (seafood and goat are the most authentic choices) surrounded by fried plantains. It was very good. If you are wondering where to get it, I had mine at the hotel plaza closest to the ship dock. If you are on a Royal Caribbean ship (don't know about other cruise lines), this restaurant will be recommended in the port flyer for San Juan.

Barbara
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Navigator (E. Caribbean) Feb 24/2007
Mercury (Alaska) May 4/2007
Enchantment (W. Caribbean) Oct 22/2007
Brilliance (Back-to-back Europe/Transatlantic) Nov 23/2007

Ottawa, On, Cda./Naples, Fl. USA
6,087 Posts
Joined May 2004
Coconut bread in St. Lucia --- fresh from a brick/clay oven -- unbelievable.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Tomko2 D+
Live, Laugh & Love.
Florida
1,318 Posts
Joined Apr 2006
Pigs feet souse, lambs tongue souse..... Oh and for the not so adventurous, there's chicken souse..
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

StacY & DaviD
Lunasea, LLC founding members
Caribbean Princess - 9/16/2007 - E729
Crown Princess - 10/19/2008 - B605
Crown Princess - 4/2/2011

In the DFW Metroplex
2,607 Posts
Joined Jul 2003
Conch fritters and jerk mayonnaise in Grand Cayman - YUM!!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
S.S. Yarmouth - July 1962 to Seattle World's Fair
Carnival Celebration - Sept. 1999 (KVIL cruise)
Carnival Inspiration - Dec. 2000 (KVIL cruise)
Carnival Jubilee - Oct. 2002 (Fall break cruise)
Carnival Elation - Nov. 2003 (Thanksgiving Cruise)
Carnival Elation again - Dec. 2004 (Pre-Christmas Cruise)
Carnival Conquest - Feb. 2006
Carnival Glory (Eastern) - Feb. 2007 (Super Bowl Cruise)
Carnival Ecstasy - June 2007
Carnival Ecstasy again - Nov. 2007 (Thanksgiving Cruise)
WE'RE PLATINUM!!!
Carnival Conquest - Oct. 2008 (out of Houston thanks to Ike)
Carnival Conquest - Inaugural Bahamas Cruise, Feb. 2009
Carnival Triumph to exotic Western Caribbean, Jan. 2010 (see avatar)
Carnival Ecstasy 4th of July cruise to nowhere, July 2010
Carnival Ecstasy Thanksgiving Cruise, Nov. 2010
Carnival Spirit Alaska cruise, Sept. 2011
Carnival Magic Transatlantic Repositioning Cruise Oct./Nov. 2011
Carnival Triumph again, Jan. 2014
Carnival Legend Panama Canal Transit, Aug. 2014
Carnival Magic again, Dec. 2014
Carival Freedom, Feb. 2016, John's BC9 Blogger Cruise
Carnival Magic, Nov. 2016, After Thanksgiving cruise
(224 posts as of June 2004 conversion)
Proud Marine Mom - Semper fi

Save
Save
Save
Save
Northern Alberta- Brrrrrrr
3,940 Posts
Joined Mar 2005
Goat meat & cubed potatoes cooked in a light curry. It is like a very thick stew. Wrap meat mixture in Roti.....YUMMY.
My in laws are from Trinidad/Tobago so this is a regular meal in our house.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
April 29, 2018 RCCL Jewel of the seas- San juan here we come- Cruising with the TAYLOR'S!

December 12, 2016- Carnival Victory- Cruising with the Wagners!

Sept 20- 2016 Carnival Liberty- San Juan, St Maarten, St Thomas,St Lucia, St Kitts, Barbados

Sept 26 2010- Hal Oosterdam- 1 night Seattle to Vancouver with the Taylors!

Jan 14, 2010-10 Night RCCL Explorer of the Seas- 2 x sea days, San Juan, St Thomas, Antigua, Dominica, 3 x sea days.

April 26, 2009 RCCL- 13 night Explorer of the seas- Sea days x2, San Juan, St Thomas, St Maarten, Dominica, Barbados, Antigua, St Kitts;
Sea days x3= SLEEP

Celebrity Summit- Jan 3, 2009- San Juan, St Maarten, Roseau Dominica, Grenada, Tobago & Barbados.

Carnival Victory- October 26-2008- Miami, Grand Turk, DR, Tortola, St Kitts, St Maarten & San Juan

Carnival Triumph- January 19- 2008. Exotic Eastern Caribbean and back to HMC - Miami, HMC, Nassau, St Thomas, Tortola, Miami

Holland America Westerdam Exotic Eastern Caribbean Oct 15-2006 - Ft Lauderdale, HMC, St Maarten, Tortola, Grand Turk, Ft Lauderdale

Carnival Liberty Western Caribbean Jan 15 2006- Ft. Freeport, Grand Cayman, Costa Maya