Mundane questions

KruisingKaren

Hi all. I've read the posts and am sold on booking the WS Panama canal/Costa Rica cruise. I have the "typical" cruise questions (sorry I couldn't be more exciting:o)

Could someone tell me about the tipping policy? And also, can you bring your own alcohol on board?

Okay, I'll do my best. The tipping policy is just like you'll see on any cruise ship. A certain amount per person, per day. And honestly, I'm not recalling the carry-on alcohol policy. I'm pretty sure hard liquor is a flat no. You may be able to bring on a limited amount of wine though we opted for the wine package so this had no impact on us. I'm sure both answers can be confirmed on the website. Have fun.

Carry on 2 bottles of wine. The wine on board very reasonably priced so why bother unless there is something special you find in port? Tipping is charged to your account per person per day. In addition we tip our room stewards $50 a week on average. Then we tip the people who serve us on a regular basis in the dining room, the Verandah and at the bar. Example is my husband is first person every morning in the Yacht Club for coffee so we tip the morning person there. It is not required in addition to the tip put on your bill but these are great people and generally on 9 month contracts away from home. No tipping to officers, excursion staff, etc., basically anyone dressed in whites.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Currently the policy says you can carry on 3 bottles of wine for an 8 day or longer cruise and 2 for a shorter cruise.

A suggested gratuity of $13.50 per person per day is charged to your on-board account. As sb44 says, you can tip extra.

Carry on 2 bottles of wine. The wine on board very reasonably priced so why bother unless there is something special you find in port? Tipping is charged to your account per person per day. In addition we tip our room stewards $50 a week on average. Then we tip the people who serve us on a regular basis in the dining room, the Verandah and at the bar. Example is my husband is first person every morning in the Yacht Club for coffee so we tip the morning person there. It is not required in addition to the tip put on your bill but these are great people and generally on 9 month contracts away from home. No tipping to officers, excursion staff, etc., basically anyone dressed in whites.

Do you think it is better to tip extra in cash or add it to your account?

Extra tipping is generally cash. I'm not sure if you can even add individual tips to your account as I've never asked.

Thanks for the information. Will bring extra cash.

If it's over 14 days it should be included so no need to sign up. Otherwise do it onboard.

Sb44, you keep saying that but it isn't my experience. Do you have a recent, non-Star Collector where you got free laundry?

Windstar told me that it isn't included on a 14-day single cruise nor when I had separate bookings for a 13-day plus a 14-day cruise back-to-back. It is included on a Star Collector. When I initially booked the 13-day plus 14-day back to back, there wasn't a Star Collector covering them. Later there was a Star Collector but the price was higher than combined the 7-for-7 sale prices I had for the pair. Eventually, the Star Collector went on 7-for-7 sale and I was able to switch to it and get free laundry (plus save a bit more on the cruise fare).

3kidslater, we signed up for the free laundry when we checked-in onboard. It might be possible to get it ahead of time by calling Windstar, but that seems like more effort and doesn't save you anything.