Walk to Acadia National Park From Tender drop off

quilter49

We walked from the tender to the town, shops and shuttle bus... took a huge loop through the park... can’t remember if it was free, but not much $$ if anything.

If tide is out, you can walk out to the nearest island also... but better beat the tide back !!

Beautiful place.. enjoy!

Has anyone walked from the tender to Acadia National Park? It looks like it is less than 1 mile. Am I correct?

Thanks.

Lisa

The main tourist area of Acadia NP is the loop road. It's been some time since I have been there but it takes a few hours to drive around the one way loop road with brief side stops at the sites. The park is not a specific spot that you can walk to. Without a car you will need to book a tour or take one of the public trolley tours. Here is one you can examine: https://www.nps.gov/acad/planyourvisit/bus-tours.htm. The park's visitor center is about 3 miles from downtown Bar Harbor just off the main road, Rt. 3. Not an easy walk.

You can walk around Bar Harbor. It is basically a single street with a few short side streets.

Has anyone walked from the tender to Acadia National Park? It looks like it is less than 1 mile. Am I correct?

Thanks.

Lisa

I think it is a little more that a mile. But the real question would be what can I do by entering the park that way. There is nothing within walking distance from where you entered the park with the exception of hiking to the top of Cadillac Mountain on the North Ridge Trail, but I'm not too sure where the trail head would be vs where you entered the park. In season and if you are on the Park Loop Rd, you could flag down the Island Explorer bus, but that seems to be more trouble that it is worth since you can board an IE bus at the BH Town Green.

SBtS

The main tourist area of Acadia NP is the loop road. It's been some time since I have been there but it takes a few hours to drive around the one way loop road with brief side stops at the sites. The park is not a specific spot that you can walk to. Without a car you will need to book a tour or take one of the public trolley tours. Here is one you can examine: https://www.nps.gov/acad/planyourvisit/bus-tours.htm. The park's visitor center is about 3 miles from downtown Bar Harbor just off the main road, Rt. 3. Not an easy walk.

You can walk around Bar Harbor. It is basically a single street with a few short side streets.

Agree with the above. We've been to Bar Harbor by car (1999) and by ship (2013). The main feature of the public trolley tour into the park for me was the stop on top of Cadillac Mountain where you get a view of the ship(s) down below and all the small off-shore islands. We had driven ourselves up to the top the first time and I let "them" do the driving the second time. I also enjoyed walking around the "back streets" behind the "shopping" street--lots of lovely old homes and churches. And in that first trip we walked across the bay at low tide to visit Bar island where we hiked to the top (it's not high!) and made it back to shore before the tide returned.

We were there several years ago. We walked inland & there WAS a place we picked up a shuttle that took us through the park. The cost was minimal.

Maybe you could Google either Bar Harbor or the Park to learn about pickup spots within walking distance of the pier.

The departure point for most of the Island Explorer routes is the Bar Harbor Town Green. The Town Green is about 2 blocks up Main St from the tender dock. There is no cost because it is a free public bus provided by the LL Bean Corp.

There is only one pickup point, the Town Green, within walking distance of the tender dock.

SBtS

The departure point for most of the Island Explorer routes is the Bar Harbor Town Green. The Town Green is about 2 blocks up Main St from the tender dock. There is no cost because it is a free public bus provided by the LL Bean Corp.

There is only one pickup point, the Town Green, within walking distance of the tender dock.

SBtS

Thanks Sailbad!! :)

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Forums mobile app

Be aware that the free Acadia NP shuttle ends on Columbus Day. After that you'll have to take a tour (like Oli's Trolley https://olistrolley.com/ or Acadia Tours https://www.acadiatours.com/. Or rent a car (though that's tricky, apparently, since I've read there are no rental places in Bar Harbor) Or rent a bike. Or do some sort of private taxi tour or something.

We’re much depend on size of ship. Anthem of the Seas does use local tender boats.

08cG-Ddy4Ds

Hello,

I took a peek at your blog and watched a fjord sailing video, it was beautiful. I've been trying to figure out how to be see the Saguenay fjord in Canada on an upcoming cruise and I realize that it's just getting up early as the ship sails in and being on deck when we leave. Thanks for the video.

Happy cruising

What are the best stops on the island explorer bus if i decided to avoid the trolley tours?

You can request a stop anywhere, but what route you are on will determine if there are any worthwhile stops.

If you take a look at the Island Explorer routes schedule, you will see the listed scheduled stops by route. These would be considered the best stops and most excursions, both cruise line and independent will visit these stops.

The cruise line and independent excursion will limit your time at any stop. IE will permit exploring on your own.

If you are not familiar with Acadia National Park, then this site will help but a guide book maybe the most helpful. Toms Port Guide is another good source of information for Bar Harbor and ANP but I did notice that the section for the IE schedule was not up-to-date.

SBtS

Be aware that the free Acadia NP shuttle ends on Columbus Day. After that you'll have to take a tour (like Oli's Trolley https://olistrolley.com/ or Acadia Tours https://www.acadiatours.com/. Or rent a car (though that's tricky, apparently, since I've read there are no rental places in Bar Harbor) Or rent a bike. Or do some sort of private taxi tour or something.

Thank you. Important information indeed. I wound up choosing the Acadia tours as it is less expensive than my ship excursion options.

We just got back from a cruise with this port. We did the free Island Explorer bus. I highly recommend getting off at Thunder Hole and Jordan Pond.

I agree. We had 4 stops on the 4 hour tour through oli’s Trolleys that I linked to a review I did a couple post prior. Those two were probably my favorite. More so than Cadillac mountain even. Those two were very picturesque. You can see some pics I took in the review.

We just got back from a cruise with this port. We did the free Island Explorer bus. I highly recommend getting off at Thunder Hole and Jordan Pond.

If you are thinking about going to thunder hole ... check out the tide schedule ... doesn't thunder at low tide ... I find it best right before high tide.

PS - We were on a cruise that was to have gone to Bermuda ... instead because of Flo we ended up doing a Canada/New England cruise .... very interesting to see Mt Desert from the water ... Stopped at Getty's for lunch (thought about going home to do laundry) ... It was fun being a tourist! Jan