Have you sailed on Amsterdam? I have questions.

I wouldn't necessarily worry about more problems with sea sickness on Amsterdam. We sailed on a portion of the 2018 GWV and got caught in the equivalent of a strong category 1 storm with sustained winds of 85+ and gusts to 100. Seas were up to 27 feet.

The ship handled it beautifully. Yes we rocked and rolled but nothing like you'd expect on this smaller ship. Of course, Captain Mercer had a great deal to do with that as well since he's such an excellent captain.

MidWesternCruiser2,

Regarding to the Ocean Bar's group's music, the groups that I have heard play a variety of music including some from the '60's and 70's. If there is a music group in the Crow's Nest late at night, prior to when the DJ starts his work, they almost always play music from that era. I have danced more than once there to the music of Gloria Gaynor's I'll Survive as well as Dancing Queen.

Thanks again...disco doesn't much do it for me, but I"m guessing if they do those, they also hit some classic rock...at least that's usually the case. What I find most interesting about this share is Crow's Nest as a dance place. Either I've missed it on the other ships or this is an Amsterdam thing :-}

No worries. You will have a great cruise, trust me. Another hint, try the Pinnacle Lunch for $10. Even on Hubbard Day. We ate @ Noon, was done @ 1pm and we didn't actually get to the Glacier until 3pm. Another Hint. You see the approach to Hubbard on the way out, just in reverse. Sun is usually up by later in the day and all of the glacier watchers are fully worn out. Best time to appreciate it in my opinion. Hubbard will blow you away. Just saying!

Thanks for continuing to provide details...exactly what I was looking for!

I'm not a meat eater, but maybe Canaleto's would work on Glacier day. Have never done a specialty restaurant as a solo. Might be my new first.

I wouldn't necessarily worry about more problems with sea sickness on Amsterdam. We sailed on a portion of the 2018 GWV and got caught in the equivalent of a strong category 1 storm with sustained winds of 85+ and gusts to 100. Seas were up to 27 feet.

The ship handled it beautifully. Yes we rocked and rolled but nothing like you'd expect on this smaller ship. Of course, Captain Mercer had a great deal to do with that as well since he's such an excellent captain.

Am really not sure what it would take for me to experience sea sickness. Have been with others who do and not felt a thing. Was on a Royal cruise back in the 90s with all but empty public spaces, so many were sick. You did have to hold on to something while walking -- especially on the stairs! Was a new rock & roll experience for me.

I should have clarified, I was in a Vista before but in a Neptune after the refit.

The clock was working to some extent, at least people gathered around when it struck thirteen or whatever it does.

Wehwalt: Do you have any pictures of the Neptune Suite after drydock? Can you please describe all the changes and upgrades?

Thank you!

Dave

Wehwalt: Do you have any pictures of the Neptune Suite after drydock? Can you please describe all the changes and upgrades?

Thank you!

Dave

Sorry, I don't. I'm not much of a picture taker. As I had a different class of cabin after the refit, can't really compare and contrast.

Gary

I was on Amsterdam the week of 7/8. You get VERY close to the glacier. I was really surprised. For music, I really loved Adagio which is a violinist and pianist. Plays mostly classical music, but the violinist was superb. I'm not really into jazz, but what I heard of the trio was actually pretty good as well. The Rudi's Sel de Mer night is totally worth it. One of the most phenomenal meals I've had. Happy hour in the Crow's Nest is pretty good. They serve some very good appetizers with your order. There are numerous lounge areas, and each one has a different look and feel which I enjoy. Happy to answer any questions you may have.

Thanks again...disco doesn't much do it for me, but I"m guessing if they do those, they also hit some classic rock...at least that's usually the case. What I find most interesting about this share is Crow's Nest as a dance place. Either I've missed it on the other ships or this is an Amsterdam thing :-}

How about Fats Domino or Chubby Checker music? Or, Rollin' on the River ? There can be classic rock as well. If there is a DJ playing the tunes, he/she seems to be able to access whatever the crowd wants.

As to the use of the Crow's Nest, it seems to vary by ship. Some use it as a late night spot; some don't. Just another example of HAL's cruise product inconsistency that I don't appreciate.

Recently refurbished bathroom on sister ship Zaandam had a shaver outlet high up in the very lovely new bathroom. But no soap dish. However, it did have the most flattering embedded mirror lighting on any ship so far.

Be careful of those high up outlets on the high up light fixture. There is a small switch on them that changes the voltage and it can be VERY difficult to read (high up plus light gold color). I used it once and it burnt out my razor! Obviously the setting was wrong but I did not catch it.

How about Fats Domino or Chubby Checker music? Or, Rollin' on the River ? There can be classic rock as well. If there is a DJ playing the tunes, he/she seems to be able to access whatever the crowd wants.

As to the use of the Crow's Nest, it seems to vary by ship. Some use it as a late night spot; some don't. Just another example of HAL's cruise product inconsistency that I don't appreciate.

Fats or Chubby or Tina sound great :-}

I've really never seen Crow's Nest for dancing...maybe I was in BB King's when they were dancing there???

Here's what I find inconsistent about HAL sailings: the difference in the food. The food seems to be incredibly bland on most AK cruises, but in the Caribbean it's much better. I know others who say the same thing, but none of us have figured out why.

I was on Amsterdam the week of 7/8. You get VERY close to the glacier. I was really surprised. For music, I really loved Adagio which is a violinist and pianist. Plays mostly classical music, but the violinist was superb. I'm not really into jazz, but what I heard of the trio was actually pretty good as well. The Rudi's Sel de Mer night is totally worth it. One of the most phenomenal meals I've had. Happy hour in the Crow's Nest is pretty good. They serve some very good appetizers with your order. There are numerous lounge areas, and each one has a different look and feel which I enjoy. Happy to answer any questions you may have.

I like that VERY close comment...I really think I'll like a smaller boat anyway, but that will definitely be a plus!

I've heard good things about Sel de Mer, but I don't eat meat and shrimp is the only seafood I eat. I do like fish, so I might check the menu, but I'm a very picky eater and really don't like 'fancy' food :-}

I have had some good appetizers in Crow's Nest though -- just always have to be sure I know what it is. Don't like wasting special food when others would enjoy it.

Started this thread to find out about music (again, I'm picky...I've been stuck in the 60s/70s for years & know I'll miss BB King's) and the ship size (I don't get sea sick, but I know the open water between Seattle and the inside passage can have some rough spots, so if you have any memory of that, please share)...was also kind of thinking the smaller size might make it feel more crowded -- but I guess not with fewer passengers).

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Appreciate it, much!

I have never found the open water in the Inside Passage itinerary to be terribly rough.

Re: the inconsistency regarding the cuisine. It's my opinion that such is due to your ship's Executive Chef. There is a standard recipe for each dish (and photo as to how the dish should appear when it is presented to the guest) that comes from the Suits in Seattle. But, I have been told more than once on several Behind the Scenes Tours that the on-board Executive Chef may "tweak" these recipes to suit himself. Some Chefs are better "tweakers" than others in my opinion.

I'd be surprised if you find the Amsterdam to feel crowded. Lido Restaurant, at prime Breakfast and Lunch times: yes, that feel is there. One learns to dine at "off peak" times in that venue.

I hope you enjoy your cruise and that you will return to CC to share your experience.

The only time we had rough waters was between Juneau and Hubbard Glacier, so most of it was while we slept. We still had to deal with it until about 1 PM when they entered the bay for the glacier park. It wasn't too bad, but I do know many people did get sick, and it was the only time I saw them put out sickness bags by the elevators.

I have never found the open water in the Inside Passage itinerary to be terribly rough.

Re: the inconsistency regarding the cuisine. It's my opinion that such is due to your ship's Executive Chef. There is a standard recipe for each dish (and photo as to how the dish should appear when it is presented to the guest) that comes from the Suits in Seattle. But, I have been told more than once on several Behind the Scenes Tours that the on-board Executive Chef may "tweak" these recipes to suit himself. Some Chefs are better "tweakers" than others in my opinion.

I'd be surprised if you find the Amsterdam to feel crowded. Lido Restaurant, at prime Breakfast and Lunch times: yes, that feel is there. One learns to dine at "off peak" times in that venue.

I hope you enjoy your cruise and that you will return to CC to share your experience.

No, not terribly rough, but the open water can be very different than the inside passage.

Not sure chefs change from itinerary to itinerary, but sailed Eurodam last year in June (Alaska) then in November (Caribbean) and the food was drastically different.

Last winter I was on Freedom of the Seas...a rather large ship by comparison...the Promenade felt consistently crowded. I think that's what I was hoping not to hear with Amsterdam: that the spaces don't lead to too much traffic too often.

Always enjoy cruising -- especially to Alaska -- so I'm sure this will be another wonderful trip. I put a note on my calendar to return to this thread after the trip and share comments (or maybe submit a review).

Thanks!

No, not terribly rough, but the open water can be very different than the inside passage.

Not sure chefs change from itinerary to itinerary, but sailed Eurodam last year in June (Alaska) then in November (Caribbean) and the food was drastically different.

Last winter I was on Freedom of the Seas...a rather large ship by comparison...the Promenade felt consistently crowded. I think that's what I was hoping not to hear with Amsterdam: that the spaces don't lead to too much traffic too often.

Always enjoy cruising -- especially to Alaska -- so I'm sure this will be another wonderful trip. I put a note on my calendar to return to this thread after the trip and share comments (or maybe submit a review).

Thanks!

The Executive Chefs on HAL ships are like any other crew members. They have a definite contract period. Your Executive Chef on the Eurodam during your two cruises probably were not the same person.

The Executive Chefs on HAL ships are like any other crew members. They have a definite contract period. Your Executive Chef on the Eurodam during your two cruises probably were not the same person.

This actually made me more curious than I usually am about staff contracts and ship switches. We did have the same executive chef on both sailings...was Vijay :-}

This actually made me more curious than I usually am about staff contracts and ship switches. We did have the same executive chef on both sailings...was Vijay :-}

Thanks for your interesting comment--and the mystery deepens!

I don't have a logical explanation for your observation.

Sorry, I don't. I'm not much of a picture taker. As I had a different class of cabin after the refit, can't really compare and contrast.

Gary

Wehwalt, since you were in a suite after refit, can you tell me if the bed in the cabin can be pushed up to a wall so a toddler will not fall off the bed? Thank you.

So my husband wants to know if they put in the pizza area during the drydock. We had it on the Nieu Amsterdam and he really enjoyed it and is hoping it is there. Thanks.

If no one answers before I go, I'll (try to remember to) come back and let you know.

Unless you sail before me (early September).

So my husband wants to know if they put in the pizza area during the drydock. We had it on the Nieu Amsterdam and he really enjoyed it and is hoping it is there. Thanks.

Nope! No special pizza area. It's served in the same line as the main selections.

The "New York Pizza" venue is only found on Konigdam, Nieuw Amsterdam and Eurodam. Most likely will be on Nieuw Statendam as well. There are at present no plans to add this venue out to any other ships in the fleet.

The "New York Pizza" venue is only found on Konigdam, Nieuw Amsterdam and Eurodam. Most likely will be on Nieuw Statendam as well. There are at present no plans to add this venue out to any other ships in the fleet.

Thanks! That's what I thought, but he wanted me to ask