Just off the Caribbean Princess 6/30/18-7/7/18

kywildcatfanone

Wife and I just celebrated our 20th anniversary on the Caribbean Princess. It was the first ship we ever sailed on as well, and overall really enjoyed our week.

A review from me would be very boring. We don't go to the dining room anymore, nor do we do excursions or go to many shows. Just a few comments....

Embarkation was smooth... mostly... Got to the port at about 9:30am, was probably about 40 or so people already in line. Waited there till about 10am, then they opened the doors and let folks go inside to the next standing area. Then around 10:20 or so, they let us go get our cruise cards and go to the waiting area. No health form this time. We went to the waiting area and were able to board right at about 11am. Our room was on Lido 259, balcony cabin. We did our normal thing, went to the deck to drop our carry on bags, and there was a sign posted "rooms will not be available till 1pm". Why let people on the ship, if you can't drop you bags in your room?

Anyway, we went to the buffet and found a table and had lunch. About 12:45 we went back and were able to get to our cabin and drop our bags. We noticed our room was rather warm, but I assumed it was because all rooms doors were open, and once it had time to cool, it would be fine.

Anyway, went on about our day, explored the ship, refreshing ourselves on the layout, haven't been on a non Royal/Regal cruise for about 3 years. Ship seemed to be in great shape, and I was reminded that the pool deck has a type of wood on the floor, not the metal that is on the newest ships painted to look like wood. Doesn't burn your feet.

Anyway, finally went back to our room for the evening about 8pm. Our room was still very warm, I would guess high 70’s for a temp, so I called Passenger Services and asked if someone could look at this for us, as I can’t sleep at all in a warm environment. Waited till about 9pm and no one had come or call. Heard talking in the hallway and it was our room steward. Asked him to call and he said he would. Another hour or so went by and no one. I called back to passenger services and said that I needed to get this addressed or moved to another room. About 15 minutes later a maintenance man came. He plugged in and said the room temp was 78, but the air blowing was about 72, the lowest temp they do. He suggested we remove the vent from the ceiling, and see if that makes a difference, so he popped it off. There was good air flow all way down to the floor, and after about 30 minutes, you could tell the room temp was improving. We asked if we could leave it off for the night and he said yes, and would check with us the next day. It never got what I would consider really cool, but was cool enough after that. He came back the next night and checked in with us, and we left the vent off the rest of the week. I think my default now when I get in my room from now on will be to remove the vent.

Anyhow, the ship was in very good shape overall for her age. I was very pleased with its appearance. The only thing that I was surprised was that the new carpeting they are using in the buffet was white/grey/black squares, and the white/grey panels all looked dirty. Bad color choice.

Speaking of the buffet, we have been spoiled by the Royal class buffet options. The World Marketplace concept would probably be fine on the larger ships with the larger buffet, but doesn’t seem to work well on this ship. It was OK, but not great. Buffet food is buffet food. Didn’t consider steamers or planks, and as above, I could see that on the larger ships, but not one the size of the CB or smaller. Never saw many people on there at dinner, not sure how busy it was.

Service staff overall did a really good job, our room steward Smit was great, very pleasant to talk to and took great care of us. Chris, at the outrigger bar, learned my name the first day and was always smiling, and cleaning his area, and saw me coming and fixed my drinks for me. Wonderful experience with him.

Sometimes in the buffet the wait staff was standing around talking to each other, but I give them a break, they all work very hard overall. Minor issues there.

One of the bartender supervisors was telling us when a couple of more of the new ships come online, the CB will likely be sold to another line.

We spent most of our days in the terrace pool area. We miss the retreat pool area on the newer ships, it’s our hangout spot.

Ports were nice, have been to all of them before, so we didn’t do anything but shop a bit around the port area and get back on. Like to be on the ship when people are off on shore.

We traded in our mini bar for the 2 coffee packages, but didn’t understand why your shipboard account didn’t show how many of the 15 “punches” you had used, so I had to start asking on day 5 to make sure I didn’t run over. Not sure why it doesn’t record that for you to track.

Will also be glad when they update to the newer internet, so that you can have unlimited minutes like on the Royal class ships.

Had a medical evacuation on the last sea day, was amazing to watch the coast guard helicopter do its thing, and they were able to safely remove the person and a family member and we all got to watch it. Amazing to see the precision work between the crew and the coast guard. Never got a report on the condition of the person once they got to Miami, hope all turned out OK.

Disembarkation was smooth. Pulled back into FLL about 5:45am, I watched it from the balcony and got a few decent pics of sunrise. Did express walk off and was in Walk A scheduled for 7:30am. We went downstairs about 7am, and there were already 100 or so people sitting there. They started letting us off at about 7:25, we breezed through customs and were at the airport at 7:45. Thru security and at our gate before 8am, so no issues with our 9:45am flight.

Overall a good week. Looking forward to the currently unscheduled next cruise. :)

We were on same cruise! Same floor too. We had inside cabin L232. We thought Buffet was a hit and miss on average. We dined in Main dining room about 4 nights I think. For the most part the food was good. Service was quite excellent. Fast even. Was leary as reviews on here was atrocious time for entire meal. Doubt we ever spent 45 minutes in there.

We did something different in every port as we had been to them all several times. Thought weather was great.

We managed to arrive home here in Ky. around4 this afternoon. I would love to go back!!!

I am glad to hear you had a nice cruise. So how hard was it for you to remove the vent in your cabin; or did you let maint do it and then just leave it off. Do you think the vent blocked the airflow coming into the cabin? Have a nice day.

I am glad to hear you had a nice cruise. So how hard was it for you to remove the vent in your cabin; or did you let maint do it and then just leave it off. Do you think the vent blocked the airflow coming into the cabin? Have a nice day.

I don't know that it blocked the air flow, but it circulated the air out at the ceiling level, and didn't seem to be cooling the room very well. When we removed it, and the air was blowing straight down without any deflection, it seemed to cool the room better. Never got as cold as I like it, but it did help immensely.

The maintenance guy removed it, but all he did was put a flat blade screw driver to get it broke loose and then it popped right off. He left it off, and I asked him to leave it that way the rest of the week. Then, this morning right before we departed the cabin to debark, I snapped it back into place. No tools required.

I will be removing it again if I have this issue again.

Was leary as reviews on here was atrocious time for entire meal. Doubt we ever spent 45 minutes in there.

We managed to arrive home here in Ky. around4 this afternoon. I would love to go back!!!

I have learned to take reviews with a bit of a grain of salt. When one person says something is wonderful and another says it's awful, you really have to just decide for yourself I think.

Glad to hear the DR was pretty quick. One of the reasons we decided to stop going was that dinner was a 2+ hour event, and while the food was pretty good, it was just too long. Would go back, if I could do it all in under an hour.

I won't hesitate to book the CB again, but am glad they are building several more of the larger ships, and really like the Retreat Pool area on those. Missed that not being on the CB, but it was still nice. I would guess they will retire several more as well.

there was a sign posted "rooms will not be available till 1pm". Why let people on the ship, if you can't drop you bags in your room?

Because most people would rather be on the ship than waiting in the onshore terminal.

Great evaluation of the CB. We will be on the CB this fall. I have not seen a coupon book in quite a long time and don't believe they are doing it anymore. No loss as it never had anything we wanted. The time spent in the MDR at dinner is highly dependent on how big your table is (6 top, 8 top etc) and the slowest eater at the table. Last cruise we had a 6 top with two other couples and thankfully they arrived on time and did not play with their food while running their mouth. I usually took about an hour but a few times less when we told the waiter we had to get out of there for an event. We have been on the CB many times but not since the HC was reconfigured so it will be interesting to see the new layout. I doubt we will try either of the new specialty restaurants. We have been to all of the ports except one, Trinidad, so like the OP will probably just have a leisurely port day. We do love being on the ship when all the pax are off on their excursions. It is so quiet, uncrowded and nice.

I don't know that it blocked the air flow, but it circulated the air out at the ceiling level, and didn't seem to be cooling the room very well. When we removed it, and the air was blowing straight down without any deflection, it seemed to cool the room better. Never got as cold as I like it, but it did help immensely.

The maintenance guy removed it, but all he did was put a flat blade screw driver to get it broke loose and then it popped right off. He left it off, and I asked him to leave it that way the rest of the week. Then, this morning right before we departed the cabin to debark, I snapped it back into place. No tools required.

I will be removing it again if I have this issue again.

Thanks for the tip about the vent.

I'll bring a screwdriver, just in case since we sometimes get a room with similar cooling problems on these older ships. ;)

I agree, but let folks drop their bags in the room instead of having to lug them around for 2 hours.

Clearly you have an issue lugging your bag. Back in the old days it was late boarding and everything was ready, but in my opinion I lost use of a good part of the day I paid for. Check your bag with porter and try a small carry on . We so appreciate “early” boarding and are able to eat and use the pool and have a drink before muster.

By the way, you used to be able to drop off your luggage in the room, do but with a lot of things “people” abused” that.

Clearly you have an issue lugging your bag.

By the way, you used to be able to drop off your luggage in the room, do but with a lot of things “people” abused” that.

Just never had to do it before, could always go to room and drop carry on's. Not sure why they had it blocked off from doing that.

Back in the old days it was late boarding and everything was ready

Maybe on some other cruise lines, but not on princess.

Back in the old days on princess, boarding usually started between 11:30 and 12:00, and cabins were ready.

I like boarding earlier, even if the cabins are not ready.

On Regal and Royal, when the cabins were not ready, you were able to check your hand baggage at club 6,

rather than drag it around with you.

Of course for a few more years we will read here about how cabins are ready when boarding starts on princess...

Clearly you have an issue lugging your bag. Back in the old days it was late boarding and everything was ready, but in my opinion I lost use of a good part of the day I paid for. Check your bag with porter and try a small carry on . We so appreciate “early” boarding and are able to eat and use the pool and have a drink before muster.

Please explain how that's an abuse of the system?

It's not like I want to use the room early other than dumping my bags there & leaving.

Just never had to do it before, could always go to room and drop carry on's. Not sure why they had it blocked off from doing that.

How was it blocked?

Surely there were some people doing a B2B that wanted to get to their cabins. Did they just let people into the area without their luggage?

I'm asking because I normally get off the ship in between cruises & return with my wine, soda & water in a suitcase and don't wish to carry it around.

We just got off the CB and were not happy at all with the food on this ship. We have nearly 30 cruises with Princess and this is the first time I will write a letter to corporate about anything. The new "Marketplace" is awful! First of all, just walking in feels like an IKEA eatery. Yes, it was time to update the Horizon Court. But...it looks really cheap. The layout of the buffet stations are basically the same, however there is no wall separating the buffet from the public walkway so many people were walking past and reaching out for a snack while passing through. The quality of the food was terrible! A peanut butter and jelly station, two stations of pre-made sandwiches, inedible desserts, ramen noodles, tasteless pasta, mashed potatoes, broccoli casserole...the list goes on. Cheap, low quality cafeteria food. The salad station looked nothing like it used to and was very unappealing. The buffet was not maintained so it always looked sloppy and dirty and often the trays were not replenished. Also, the beverage area had an industrial looking beer and wine dispenser that used your cruise card. Tacky. The dining room food wasn't much better. Many, many complaints from regular Princess cruisers and too many complaints from first timers. We cruise several times a year with Princess, but sadly will not go on this ship again.

Edited by kendon

it's been abused by people who "just want to drop off our carryon"... then...

oh, wait, I'm just going to change into the bathing suit I brought...just be a minute in the bathroom !

honey, go over to the balcony and take some pictures !

can you bring us ice? - we want to fix a drink !

and on and on...:rolleyes:

oh, wait, I'm just going to change into the bathing suit I brought...just be a minute in the bathroom !

I hear you but I still think this idea will backfire on them.

I'm still trying to picture how they keep people from going to their cabin? :confused:

Please explain how that's an abuse of the system?

It's not like I want to use the room early other than dumping my bags there & leaving.

How was it blocked?

Surely there were some people doing a B2B that wanted to get to their cabins. Did they just let people into the area without their luggage?

I'm asking because I normally get off the ship in between cruises & return with my wine, soda & water in a suitcase and don't wish to carry it around.

On Lido deck, they had those line forming ropes up blocking entrance. I guess I could have gone under them, but didn't. They also had sign up stating that they would be ready at 1pm.

We just got off the CB and were not happy at all with the food on this ship. We have nearly 30 cruises with Princess and this is the first time I will write a letter to corporate about anything. The new "Marketplace" is awful! First of all, just walking in feels like an IKEA eatery. Yes, it was time to update the Horizon Court. But...it looks really cheap. The layout of the buffet stations are basically the same, however there is no wall separating the buffet from the public walkway so many people were walking past and reaching out for a snack while passing through. The quality of the food was terrible! A peanut butter and jelly station, two stations of pre-made sandwiches, inedible desserts, ramen noodles, tasteless pasta, mashed potatoes, broccoli casserole...the list goes on. Cheap, low quality cafeteria food. The salad station looked nothing like it used to and was very unappealing. The buffet was not maintained so it always looked sloppy and dirty and often the trays were not replenished. Also, the beverage area had an industrial looking beer and wine dispenser that used your cruise card. Tacky. The dining room food wasn't much better. Many, many complaints from regular Princess cruisers and too many complaints from first timers. We cruise several times a year with Princess, but sadly will not go on this ship again.

I didn't say much about this in my post, other than to say buffet food is buffet food, but I agree. Didn't like it overall, and the concept of doing food from all over the world might be OK, but because the space is so small, it doesn't work. Bad idea to me adding two pay for food places and taking up the bistro with it on the smaller ships.

Yeah, I get that, but for me, it's just drop my bag and leave again.