Just off CB 7/21 a few thoughts

Eileen G

We had a very nice cruise on the CB. It was our 49th cruise 12th on Princess. I really don't know why there are so many negative comments about this ship. The ship looks lovely and I like what they did to the Horizon Court. There is way more room between tables than any other ship I have been on. The service in the buffet was pretty good too. The food is another matter though. This is one of the first cruises that we never had dinner in the buffet. For lunch and breakfast we always found something good to eat but they did have a lot of food from different countries. I have never seen so many fish dishes for breakfast. I know many countries eat fish for breakfast so I guess that's a good thing. There were a lot of options with the pizza and grill.

We had anytime dinning and usually ate around 6PM. We never had to wait and often had a table for two. If we had a table for two dinner only took an hour. A table for 6 took about an hour and a half. We enjoyed most of the things we had in the dinning room especially the French onion soup.

We had no problem with the engines not working at full speed. We arrived in all the ports on time even a little early. One of the things I like about the CB is that they still let you go above the bridge even when out at sea. They will close if it is too windy. You can also walk all the way around the promenade deck although you have to go upstairs at the front of the ship. When we were on the Regal there was no way to get to the front of the ship unless you paid to go to the sanctuary.

We also really enjoyed the two production shows. We are in our 60's so maybe thats why. We usually don't cruise during the summer due to the heat and the kids being out of school. The heat was a problem so we didn't get off the ship in Belize and only got off in Coz for an hour. The kids weren't a problem at all. There were about 500 under 18 and you really didn't notice them. All seemed well behaved and polite. There was a very nice mix of passengers from many different countries. Everyone we met was lovely and they all loved the ship. Most were first time cruises. 2/3 of the passengers had never sailed Princess before. I would happily sail the CB again.

We sailed on Caribbean Princess the last two weeks of March and had no issues at all. I think some people just like to complain so they look for things to gripe about. We had a great 14 days aboard.

Thanks for the more positive review. It seems the CB has become he whipping boy the last few years. We have sailed on the CB many times in the past and will be sailing on her this fall for 14 days. I will see then the changes that have been made to the HC. Except for lunch on sea days we generally stay out of the HC. We like breakfast and dinner in the MDR. Food quality is in the eye of the beholder and quite controversial.

We had no problem with the engines not working at full speed. We arrived in all the ports on time even a little early.

Thanks for your review.

The reason you made all the ports on time is that you were on the altered itinerary which had the reduced port times already factored in.

I like what they did to the Horizon Court. There is way more room between tables than any other ship I have been on. The service in the buffet was pretty good too. The food is another matter though. This is one of the first cruises that we never had dinner in the buffet.

So you found everything about this dining venue to your liking. Except the food at dinner. M'kaaay...

For lunch and breakfast we always found something good to eat but they did have a lot of food from different countries. I have never seen so many fish dishes for breakfast. I know many countries eat fish for breakfast so I guess that's a good thing.

Would think the new name of the former HC--World Fresh Marketplace--would have been a tip off here.

(Though smoked salmon, Scottish kippers, and herring in cream sauce were certainly breakfast staples in my neighborhood. Smoked sable--which was $14-15/lb even when I was a kid--would be a once or twice a year splurge; if it was on the buffet I would have eaten my cruise fare's worth)

So you found everything about this dining venue to your liking. Except the food at dinner. M'kaaay...

Would think the new name of the former HC--World Fresh Marketplace--would have been a tip off here.

Surely you could have found a better way to say this than to basically dismiss OPs opinion out-of-hand? She gave her review and she found the ship to be fine, with notes about some of the food options. Nothing wrong with that.

Go outside and chase the kids off your lawn if you need to push people around!

Sailed many times on Princess. Last couple on Star, Ruby, and Royal. Will be on this ship on 7/28. I loved the Royal. So I will compare my experiences on both when I get back. I won't be a good OP'er for the buffet "situation" as we never eat in the buffet, except for maybe for one lunch or so after a long 1/2 day tour. We love eating in the dining room and Alfredo's type people. The only concern I have is the situation with the A/C and am hoping our stateroom has no issues and is cool!! Well, I know to ask to take the vent cover off if it isn't! Grin.

Pooh

I don't know what was going on with the Caribbean Princess in April this year, for some reason or another PERHAPS? Princess Cruises were having a hard time filling this ship on this particular sailing because we managed to snag a last-minute cabin, granted it was an inside for well under $25 per person per day. That included port charges, taxes & fees. It was a 10-day Eastern Caribbean itinerary and we had a great time on the ship, NO complaints whatsoever. We are the type of people who are just happy to be on a ship, they can put us up in the crew quarters for all we care. On boarding day the ship had its annual USCG inspection so boarding was somewhat chaotic although that didn't effect us. The Elite line moved real quick and we were on the ship within 20 minutes of entering the terminal.

Edited by 1AL

I don't know what was going on with the Caribbean Princess in April this year, for some reason or another PERHAPS? Princess Cruises were having a hard time filling this ship on this particular sailing because we managed to snag a last-minute cabin, granted it was an inside for well under $25 per person per day. That included port charges, taxes & fees. It was a 10-day Eastern Caribbean itinerary and we had a great time on the ship, NO complaints whatsoever. We are the type of people who are just happy to be on a ship, they can put us up in the crew quarters for all we care. On boarding day the ship had its annual USCG inspection so boarding was somewhat chaotic although that didn't effect us. The Elite line moved real quick and we were on the ship within 20 minutes of entering the terminal.

That says a lot. It seems that nothing much bothers you...hot cabin, lousy service or not so great food.

You're happy either way.

:confused:

We had a very nice cruise on the CB. It was our 49th cruise 12th on Princess.

I would happily sail the CB again.

Might I enquire ... what is “the CB”? Sounds very <shrug> intriguing.:confused:

We were on the Crown Princess in May for Med cruise.

Happy in all respects but one detail. Both sides of horizon court buffet had exactly same offerings so variety was limited.

First time we have seen that on Princess.

oops apparently OP was talking about the Caribbean Princess.:)

Might I enquire ... what is “the CB”? Sounds very <shrug> intriguing.:confused:

It's the Caribbean Princess and I'll be aboard August 25th. And, you will never hear me complaining about food. ;)

We had a very nice cruise on the CB. It was our 49th cruise 12th on Princess. I really don't know why there are so many negative comments about this ship. The ship looks lovely and I like what they did to the Horizon Court. There is way more room between tables than any other ship I have been on. The service in the buffet was pretty good too. The food is another matter though. This is one of the first cruises that we never had dinner in the buffet. For lunch and breakfast we always found something good to eat but they did have a lot of food from different countries. I have never seen so many fish dishes for breakfast. I know many countries eat fish for breakfast so I guess that's a good thing. There were a lot of options with the pizza and grill.

We had anytime dinning and usually ate around 6PM. We never had to wait and often had a table for two. If we had a table for two dinner only took an hour. A table for 6 took about an hour and a half. We enjoyed most of the things we had in the dinning room especially the French onion soup.

We had no problem with the engines not working at full speed. We arrived in all the ports on time even a little early. One of the things I like about the CB is that they still let you go above the bridge even when out at sea. They will close if it is too windy. You can also walk all the way around the promenade deck although you have to go upstairs at the front of the ship. When we were on the Regal there was no way to get to the front of the ship unless you paid to go to the sanctuary.

We also really enjoyed the two production shows. We are in our 60's so maybe thats why. We usually don't cruise during the summer due to the heat and the kids being out of school. The heat was a problem so we didn't get off the ship in Belize and only got off in Coz for an hour. The kids weren't a problem at all. There were about 500 under 18 and you really didn't notice them. All seemed well behaved and polite. There was a very nice mix of passengers from many different countries. Everyone we met was lovely and they all loved the ship. Most were first time cruises. 2/3 of the passengers had never sailed Princess before. I would happily sail the CB again.

It is so nice to hear positive comments about the CB. We only sail on Princess and have been on the CB a few times and never had issues. We will be on her again soon for a 2 back to back cruises with our family and can't wait! Food is very subjective and we can always seem to find something we enjoy to eat. We rarely eat at the buffet as we do not like buffets anywhere we go. So thank you for a very nice review!!

It's the Caribbean Princess and I'll be aboard August 25th. And, you will never hear me complaining about food. ;)

Unless they run out of broccoli, right? Hope you'll be doing a Live; I've missed your acerbic wit.

All I was implying is that your not very demanding. If they gave you a warm cabin or the food was terrible you wouldn't complain.

Princess appreciates people like that.

Let me first of all say that I am NO Princess cheerleader, I am NO cheerleader for ANY cruise line. My ONLY loyalty is towards my pocket, period and not towards any cruise line.

My first cruise was in 1971 and I have been cruising ever since. NEVER, EVER in my scores of cruises ON ANY cruise line did I ever experience food that to use your terms was "terrible". NEVER, period!

Sure I've had some other minor issues here and there but I have never, ever returned home from any cruise with an issue not being resolved while onboard.

As for being demanding, my philosophy in life has always been that I try to be considerate of others with the expectation that others are considerate of me. So far it has worked for me.

I have never seen so many fish dishes for breakfast. I know many countries eat fish for breakfast so I guess that's a good thing.

Had to laugh at this, darn tootin it’s a good thing! At least for us it is. We got off the CB July 7th, first on the CB, 9th on Princess. We loved all the fish for breakfast, especially the smoked salmon. I also really liked the daily steamed white fish. Tell you what, save the fish for me and I won’t eat any of the bacon or sausages.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Never? Ever?

NO. Never ever. See below.

Unless they run out of broccoli' date=' right? Hope you'll be doing a Live; I've missed your acerbic wit. [/font']

LOL. You sure have my number. No LIVE in store unless I can figure out how to do it on the iPad, since I no longer have my teeny laptop. But I will get a new one some time before the long Emerald cruise booked for next year.