Why are you willing to pay such high prices for the Encore?

I'm just curious. Why are some of you so willing to pay the absurd prices for this ship? What is the appeal? I cruise just about every cruiseline's websites daily looking at pricing and this ship seems to be the worst deal available right now. The itinerary is awful and the price is so very high. I sailed the Escape and am sailing the Bliss in March for 15 days. The Encore with a balcony and UBP and UDP for 7 days is the same price we paid for the Bliss for an inside for four people for 15 days (Panama Canal) in an inside an UBP. Thats 8 days more for the same price. We also booked a Celebrity 12 day southern for 2020 for 4 people in a large balcony and drink package for only $400 more than the Encore 7 day balcony same date for 4 with UBP. That's 5 days more and 4 more ports and for 4 people for only $400 more. We love NCL but what are those thinking who are willing to pay thease asking prices for the worst deal around at this time on the Encore? Just curious ....... You don't have to yell at me, just give me your reason why you'd pay these prices.

That's a great question. I used to ask the same question for the last few years on NCL. I will answer and can only speak for myself. I booked a 2 bedroom suite in February 2020 to celebrate my 50th birthday and eligibility to retire. Yes I did rationalize some of the price and having almost 2 years to pay it off. I may be in the minority but I would rather have one great cruise than 2 good or average cruises. There are 5 of us so there was a savings on the 3rd and 4th person sail "free." Believe me, I think to myself and sometimes say the money is better spent for a new driveway or remodeling a bathroom in the house. However, some of my family only comes from Argentina every few years so I am trying to make it special. I like the ship stalking and the lure of a new ship. I think NCL did some great things to the Haven (finally). My last NCL Haven (Getaway) was almost a disappointment because I believe the Breakaway class ships were a step backwards compared to Epic (I know I may be in the minority on that one). I just want one more vacation splurge before retirement.

Ok, have I rationalized enough? LOL

I do agree the Encore has probably the worst itinerary of any ship ever to sail the Caribbean. WTH with porting in Puerto Rico for only a few hours at night? People want sunshine and sand port days in the Caribbean. Tortolla is another disappointment especially compared to St Maarten. I would have preferred western Caribbean.

So, while my story is not the typical person booking Encore. I do share some of the OP's interest for someone that just wants to cruise the Caribbean. The prices are high. NCL is making record profits off Bliss. People are paying these prices. I do believe a cruise bubble is brewing. There are too many mega ships being built and the Caribbean market is going to get very competitive. Check back with me in February 2020 to see if it was worth it ;)

I like to sail a brand new ship ASAP. If I have to pay a premium to do that, I will. I loved being one of the first on the Escape, and any time I can have that experience again, I’ll do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Oh I agree, I booked the Bliss in may 2017 for 2019 but I've never seen such high pricing for a new ship on a lower end mainstream line.
My thoughts as well ...... Scares me looking down the road. If I have to pay $5700 for a simple 7 day on NCL for a balcony with my kids I fear what's down the road.

I'm just curious. Why are some of you so willing to pay the absurd prices for this ship? What is the appeal? I cruise just about every cruiseline's websites daily looking at pricing and this ship seems to be the worst deal available right now. The itinerary is awful and the price is so very high. I sailed the Escape and am sailing the Bliss in March for 15 days. The Encore with a balcony and UBP and UDP for 7 days is the same price we paid for the Bliss for an inside for four people for 15 days (Panama Canal) in an inside an UBP. Thats 8 days more for the same price. We also booked a Celebrity 12 day southern for 2020 for 4 people in a large balcony and drink package for only $400 more than the Encore 7 day balcony same date for 4 with UBP. That's 5 days more and 4 more ports and for 4 people for only $400 more. We love NCL but what are those thinking who are willing to pay thease asking prices for the worst deal around at this time on the Encore? Just curious ....... You don't have to yell at me, just give me your reason why you'd pay these prices.

I'm not

I have the Encore booked for Thanksgiving 2019 but I also have the Escape booked for the same time which was $700 less. We are doing the Bliss this Thanksgiving which when we booked was a reasonable price. The Encore price is about $1000 more than we paid for the Bliss. My son loves the Escape for the ropes course and basketball court. I know the Bliss has a lot to offer but at a cost so I would assume the Encore will be the same. We’ll make our final decision which cruise to keep for next year after we get back from the Bliss.

Simple: new ship, new experience and don't be surprised to see prices go down.

Cruise lines, like airlines, have sophisticated yield management systems, adjusting pricing to maximize profit. If there is a demand for rooms at a high price point, then that’s what they can and will charge.

We already have a room booked on the Encore. And just cruises on the Bliss. Later in the year, we have a room booked on the Symphony once she repositions to Miami.

I like to sail a brand new ship ASAP. If I have to pay a premium to do that, I will. I loved being one of the first on the Escape, and any time I can have that experience again, I’ll do it.

What do you like about it?

What do you like about it?

Just being first. LOL! I like seeing everything for the first time with my own eyes, before I've read a bunch of reviews and seen hundreds of pictures. I like discovering it myself.

I am paying the crazy high price to go on the Encore inaugural TA, because it may be a once-in-a-lifetime kind of trip for us to be on the first sailing ever of a new ship. It's certainly not something we plan to do for every new ship that comes along.

The Bliss' prices are crazy high too, don't forget. We booked on the Bliss for next February. When we booked, while on the Escape this PAST February, we paid $1079 pp for an angled BA balcony. At the time we though that was pretty decent... only slightly more than what we had paid for our Escape BA balcony and we'd get to check out a pretty new ship. Now, for that same BA Balcony, that same week in February, the price is $1529 pp! Thank goodness we booked so early!

new ship always have crazy high insane pricing for the first year or two

Maybe so on NCL but not on Carnival.

I booked an interior porthole window for April 2020 on the new Carnival Panorama for $588 per person. If i remember correctly balconies were in the $700 to early $800 rates.

I love cruising on a brand new ship, if the price is not too high, for several reasons. If you cruise often on the same line, it is nice to go on a new ship to experience new shows. The crew is often excited about being there. Another reason is I feel like everything is just a little cleaner. For example, fewer people have been drooling on that pillow, sitting in that chair etc...

It is especially exciting if it is a whole new class of ship that you get to experience and explore. Almost the feeling you have on your first cruise when you don't know what to expect.

I do usually wait until the third or fourth full week long cruise on a new ship just in case there are some kinks that need to be worked out.

I like cruising brand new ships, just like everyone else. Am I willing to pay for it? Sometimes yes....sometimes no. It really depends on my mood, who I'm going with, etc.

I've sailed the Allure of the Seas when it was new. Quite expensive. Did the same on the Epic, although not quite as expensive as AOS, but still had a grand time which made it "worth the price".

Flipping the narrative...why do people care what I spend on a cruise?

I priced Escape vs Encore. Escape was about 1800 less and the itinerary was better. However the Encore has the BBQ and Mexican restaurant and observation lounge, go carts, etc. It had appeal too. I guess you can say, I am sailing Encore for the ship and not itinerary.

It was a tough choice but I went with the newer modern ship with better facilities over a great ship with better ports.

You know, I am not convinced the Encore is all that much more money. I was on the Escape last February and I am booked on the Bliss next February. If I go to book that same week (first week in February) in 2020, right now, the total price difference between BC rooms on the Escape versus the Encore comes out to be a whopping total of $106.20 for two people. So barely over $50 per person.... Not sure that's much to complain about since at that point the Encore will be what, three months old with all the latest and greatest amenities? And the Escape will be five years old?

• Like 1

Something for everyone, and people WILL pay the price. We all have our own style of traveling. In my case it is itinerary- only. And the last minute bargain chase is my "sick" addition. :) I'm delighted the revenue is there, and the availability to choose.

I'm sailing on The Encore in the beginning of 2020 because it is the only ncl ship sailing from Miami to the eastern Caribbean. They probably arranged that to show off the new ship and the new Cruise terminal

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app