Tripoli - Libya

sugarbabe61

Has anyone been on a cruise that visits Tripoli??

We are on the Costa Fortuna on 25th March and Tripoli is one of our ports of call. We have booked a half day excursion, however I wonder how safe it really is. I have checked the UK foreign office website which one part reads

Libya shares with the rest of the North Africa region a threat from terrorism. Attacks could be indiscriminate and against civilian targets, including places frequented by foreigners

I am now wondering whether to cancel the booked excursion. Hope someone can help.

I was on the Oceania Regatta cruise in November that was supposed to call upon Tripoli, but we did not end up going there, due to some cruises at the end of October that called upon Libyan ports that did not allow Americans off the ship. I would consider yourself lucky if your Costa cruise visits the port...

• 3 weeks later...

Sugarbabe61

My Wife and I visited Tripoli aboard Louis Cruise lines MS Sapphire on Wednesday April 27, 2005. There were 26 Americans on board and all left the ship. On Wednesday, we took a tour of the city and visited a Mosque and museums. We had time on our own to wander the city. Walking through the souks is like going back in time. The vendors are not pushy. The main part of the city is very modern. We felt as safe as in our own small hometown. The Lybian people were exceedingly friendly and made us feel very welcome. It seems like all could speak English. We spent the nite in port. Liquor is not allowed in Libya so the ships bars were closed. The next day we took a trip to the ruins of Leptus Magna which are about 80 kilometers away. This was a highlight beyond belief. I've been to Rome twice and these are just as good if not better. One thing of interest though was the lack of trash pickup. The main highway which went to Leptus Magna was littered with debri and looked like a dump. Regarding the passengers who could not leave the ship, this has happened before. We had been told that during a previous cruise the Libyan government would not let the German passengers get off the ship so one never knows. Anyway I do not personally know any other American who has been there and it was a real adventure. I would go back in a heartbeat.

I can't say enough about the kindness of the Libyans.

Sincerely,

ChrisCraft-63

I am also interested in visiting Libya, but the political situation between Libya and the US changed a few months ago and Libya was/is not letting Americans off so lines catering mostly to Americans are bypassing Libya. I would expect that those catering more to Europeans still go, but to my knowledge, Americans are still not allowed off.

Thanks to all for your input. We had the excursion booked but my uncertainty has caused us to cancel. I may regret this I know, but I am a little paranoid when it comes to safety.

At least it will be a nice relaxing cruise as if we stay on the ship in Tripoli, there are only 2 other ports of call. So plenty of time for exploring Costa Fortuna!! :cool:

Thanks ChrisCraft-63....I read with great interest your review of your trip to Tripoli and Leptus Magna. I am very excited to read that you were allowed these adventures! I lived in Libya when I was a pre-teen (my father worked for an oil company) and have 2 sisters who were born there. We lived in both Tripoli and Benghazi. We shopped in the souks with the locals & lived in oil company housing. We visited the ruins many times. There are also other ruin sites that are not as famous. Libya is a fascinating country and I have longed to go there and see where I lived! I find it extremely interesting that you were able to explore so freely while in port. That reason alone would entice me to book this cruise in the hopes that I would be allowed to do the same!

Did you need a special visa to get off the ship there??

flsunbakd

I was told by the company that handled my booking for the Libyan trip that the problems which occurred in October have been resolved. A visa is not required now. Louis Cruise Line had trips in October and their American passengers were able to circumvent the issue at that time by special arrangement of having a shore excursion booked ahead of time. This gave the agents time to arrange for special visas. When I went on my trip I had to do the same thing. This is one place where a ship sponsored shore excursion is the only way to go. In any event I am told that currently no visa is needed for Americans. You can also search US government for visa requirements.

The ship that I went on was the M/S Sapphire of Louis Cruise Line. The American agency is Sterlingvacations.com and they have multiple listings for trips to Libya. They have several ships but the Sapphire 9 day/8 nite trip from Marseille ending in Genoa is the only one that stays overnite. You need a full day to go to Leptus Magna since it is farther away from Tripoli. You can read my review and numerous responses to it on the Other Cruise Line board under Anyone been on Louis.

Sincerely,

ChrisCraft-63

Thanks, ChrisCraft....I read your review and appreciate your insight about this cruise. I will be researching Louis Cruise Lines and keeping track of comments on this board regarding possible changes in Libya's policies. You've been a huge help!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

We were in Libya March 28-31. We were on the MSC Sinfonia for an Eclipse Tour (link), We initially docked in Tobruk, Libya to take a bus to the eclipse viewing site, 2 hours into the Sahara desert. Tobruk can only be described as amazing. It was the first time EVER that a cruise ship had docked there. The town rolled out the red carpet for us. They were excited, curious, warm and friendly all at the same time. Then we went on to Tripoli. Tripoli itself was fine - not as welcoming as Tobruk, obviously, but there were no problems or issues. Having said that, the MSC Cruise line shore excursion staff is completely incompet. Our trip to Leptis Magna was first cancelled for lack of busses. Then somehow they found some busses so we got off 2 hours late. Then as we were pulling away from the pier, there were all the busses we were supposed to take earlier in the day.

Leptis Magna is simply amazing and not to be missed if you have the opportunity while in Tripoli.

As far as Lybia is concerned, we never felt threatened or unsafe... and we are Americans. Everything seems to point to the fact that Libya is trying really hard to build their tourist economy and seem to be intent on putting their "rogue nation" status and image behind. The main message from the people we had contact with was "please tell everyone back home that we are a friendly people and we want visitors. We are not terrorists". In fact they correctly identified, in my opinion, that "the media" is the major cause of the perceptions that outsiders have.

Being scheduled on an Italian cruise line while the "issues" with Italy and Libya were playing out in the media, caused some apprehension and concern in the days leading up to the cruise, but in the end, it was a great experience.

-Paul

• 1 month later...

Well, you folks saved me a lot of aggravation again! I just booked a Prisendam for August that stops in Libya, and would love to be able to explore. Thank you so much for the info. about the Israel Stamp in the passport. I verified through the State Dept., that I would not be allowed entry. I think I can renew my passport in time, if I do it now!!!!!

Question???? State Department also says Visa's are needed, but must be obtained through a thrid-party, like Canada, by invitation only. Does the Ship's Tour Company obtain Visa's for us???

I'm sorry, but anyone who visits a country that doesn't permit entry to a tourist (who will be spending good old American $$$'s) just because they have an Israeli stamp on their passport is feeding the seeds of anti-semitism. These Libyans may be off the list of nations who sponsor terrorism but they are surely in need of some correction on their policy towards the state of Israel.

Also, you all should be aware of what these people say in their religious sermons and in their newspapers. Take a look when you get a chance and learn more about this wonderful country you're planning on visiting:

Friday Sermon - http://www.memritv.org/Transcript.asp?P1=1042

Statement by Qadhafi Claiming Jews Deliberately Spread AIDS - http://www.memri.org/bin/articles.cgi?Page=subjects&Area=antisemitism&ID=SP21401

Still want to visit a country with such blatant hate?

Denying entry to a tourist just because he/she visited another country is ridiculous. Does that mean Argentina should deny entry to anyone with a British passport as a result of the Falkland Islands conflict in the 80's? Get real.

Any American that visits Libya should just write a check payable to Colonel Mu'ammar Al-Qadhaf and save the hassle.

As someone who works in the cruise industry and whose ships visit Lybia. Anywhere in the world these sad days can be subjected to terrorism, but Lybia has actually had less of a problem than most other countries - including Italy and Spain.

As for the comments regarding the moral issue of visiting Lybia, i would just say that many countries political rulers make decisions which are moraly poor. However, if we base everything on this basis it would leave almost no where in the world to visit.

I love the US and it people, but should i not visit because it is ruled by a war criminal??

I love Italy, but should i not visit because its goverment has big problems with corruption??

The best way for the world to become a better and safer place is by us learning and understanding each others cultures more, and the best way for this to happen is to visit each other

Several days ago the US announced it was resuming full diplomatic relations with Libya.

We'll be on Prinsendam in August with two port calls scheduled for Libya. A call in Tunisia was cancelled and Malta substituted.

HAL took our money for excursions in Tripoli and Benghazi, so that's a good sign they plan to stop there. It's my understanding you must take a ship-sponsored excursion to get off the ship.

It probably depends on which cruise line you are on. Also, check the Libyan Embassy or Consulate to see if individual visas can be obtained. I hate sending our passports away so we're very happy when the ship gets a blanket visa for those on the ship tours.

• 2 weeks later...

Ted,

We are planning the same cruise (just booked) Did you confirm that you did not need to get a Libyan visa on your own? Will HAL get a speciakl group visa for booked shore excursions?

So looking forward to going.

Ed/ Jeff

Here is the latest info from Zierer Visa Service. They are at zvs.com and are the visa service which HAL will send you to if you need a visa. If you need a visa HAL will notify you ahead of time. For my last cruise we were required to have 4 visa's. In Russia HAL had a blanket visa covering the entire ship. Generally though HAL only has a visa covering the shore excursions. From what I see it looks like a visa is required for Libya and is hard to obtain. But again HAL should tell you what you need in time to get it.

Libya Visa

TOURIST VISA

Visa: Required Requirements: Libyan visas are processed through the Canadian Embassy of Libya since there is no U.S. representation for obtaining visas. Requirements for a Libyan visa are: 1 application form per person, 2 photographs per person, invitation letter. Invitation must be sent directly to the Embassy in Ottawa by the issuing agent in Libya. A copy of your approval document must be sent in with your order. Processing cannot begin until this invitation and all other necessary requirements are received by the Embassy in Ottawa. Please note that approvals for US passport holders may be difficult to obtain; please consult with your tour operator. **Please note the fee listed below includes the consular fee and shipping fee to/from Canada. You will need to add the additional ZVS service fee on the order form. Tourist Visa Fees: $156.00 ** Processing Time: 4 weeks minimum

This 'invitation letter' sounds like we are going to see Momar himself. The weirder the place the more hoops you must jump thru and pay such a fee.!!:mad:

If DH wasn't stationed there in the USAF and wanted to see it again - I'd say forget it.

MaryAnn

Everything bad about Libya is even worse. I confirmed every thread, even phoned Sen McCains Office and the Washinton Post. fORGET WHAT YOU HAVE BEEN TOLD BY TA, HAL RES, etc. The highest execs at HAL have told me that Libya has still not given permission and does not answer mail or phone calls. Libya is still a part of the bad boy network and does not have access to Western Banks and still does not have diplomatic relations restored.Read my full story under roll calls, Rotterdam, Sepetember 14 cruise. I also think HAL is showing no respect and caring for passangers. If you are booked on that cruise, lets form a group and make our collective voice heard.

Check the Vacations to Go website for this sailing to read its warning under the Libya port stop of this sailing. Click on the 90 day highlight to find it. Since we are going anyway, maybe wqe can pressure HAL into a good alternative for the Libya stop. I certainly do not want to stay on the ship for an extra day.

Bert Maidman,

I wouldn't worry too much about having to spend an extra day on board ship. When HAL had difficulties getting passenger clearance for their recent 4/20/2006 scheduled trip to Libya, they substituted Malta. They notified all the passengers of the port substitution well in advance of the trip so that passengers could order Malta shore excursions. HAL also refunded any excursion fees paid for Libya promptly.

waterbug1 - thanks for the information.

Several times I have been involved with HAL cruises where a port had to be dropped, and they ALWAYS have come through with an alternative port. Maybe not as exotic as the cancelled one, but a fine alternative. I have no reason at this time to think they would not do the same if Libya is a no-go. In the past there were no passenger uprisings, threats or mail campaigns, they just added the substitute ports.

Will HAL be going to Libya in the next few months? Flip a coin. As of several weeks ago the US government said that they would remove Libya from it's Terrorist list within the next 45 days. After that, it would be up to Libya to remove their ban on Americans visiting, which they are expected to do. However, all of this means that it may be some time yet before it is known whether or not Americans can visit Libya this summer/fall.

We are scheduled to go next April as part of the 56 day Grand Med & Africa cruise. Knowing several months ago, when I booked that Libya might be a 'maybe', I wrote to Capt. Simon Dauwes, Director of Deployment & Itinerary Planning at the Seattle headquarters, I suggested that if a port had to be dropped for whatever reason that they consider Egypt. Which, IMO, should have been in the original itinerary.

He responded that it would be considered. Perhaps if more people wrote with such a suggestion, it would carry more weight. I already am cooresponding with another CCer on our roll call board and she has written, also.

Thanks for keeping up on this subject, MaryAnn

Archived