Traffic Jam Into Galveston From 45 Detour

burnsrod1

I had not heard anything but know 45 has tons of construction and closures. When we cruised on August 5, we carpooled to the port and some of us exited the frontage road , we went to the next exit due to the backup on the frontage but my sister beat us to the port and they exited what we thought would be terrible backlog. Forgive me, I can’t remember the next exit, I want to say it’s 77th street. With 45, always plan on extra time, we always buffer in about 2 hours even though we live in Houston. We usually meet at my sisters house in south Houston, near hobby airport but even then we leave about 10 to 11am for every cruise due to all of our freeway construction and closures. (Yes, every freeway in Houston has construction ) and the side streets too. We drive with google maps or waze app even on our normal daily commutes because we are never sure of a traffic slowdown and they will help you with a reroute to your destination. We sail next Saturday so we will plan for that road to be congested again.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

still? we had a total shut down of I45, what a mess way back last Dec. and it took me over 2 extra hours to get home. I mean not detoured to a frontage road, ... totally closed, just came to a road block.

saw the signs warning but didnt know exactly where, and it was on my way home, so i hadnt been watching traffic before i left the port and i was alone. i cant do traffic on my phone one handed.

when will they finish I45?? im going down there in nov

Does anyone have any lnowledge about how bad the traffic jam was today as a result of the shutdown of IH 45? Got a notice from Carnival saying traffic would be detoured to frontage road.

Galveston is the worst port , traffic nightmares and fog and flooding. NO thanks.

Galveston is the worst port , traffic nightmares and fog and flooding. NO thanks.

Except when you live in Galveston, then it’s like 10 minutes. We normally have someone just drop us off at the port. No flight, no pre cruise hotel, don’t even have to park a car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I live in the Houston area and heard on the radio that the closure was cancelled due to the bad weather forecast. The closure will now take place next weekend, Sept.28-30.

I hate to hear this, we leave on Saturday. Not sure of a good detour, but we will go super early. My sister is dropping us off, so she won’t be happy to go thru the traffic but we promised her an iced coffee. Lol. She lives in south Houston. We live near jersey village.

I hate to hear this, we leave on Saturday. Not sure of a good detour, but we will go super early. My sister is dropping us off, so she won’t be happy to go thru the traffic but we promised her an iced coffee. Lol. She lives in south Houston. We live near jersey village.

Hwy 3 or 146 are your alternates. I recommend 146. Less lights and will reconnect with 45 at Tiki Island

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because New Orleans has never flooded, right? :') All ports have their potential issues.

The only thing I dislike about the Carnival New Orleans terminal is the poor access for guests that are walking to the port. People walking have to either use a semi-steep staircase or go the wrong way down a one-way street that doesn't have a sidewalk or shoulder.

I haven't cruised from Galveston because of the multiple rides I would have to take to get there(Greyhound to Houston, shuttle to airport, shuttle to port).

we cruise nov11, does anyone know if there will be detours before or after our cuise? is there a schedule.?

This is the website I use: https://traffic.houstontranstar.org/construction/

As of right now, there will only be nightly closures.

Northbound and southbound Mainlanes and Frontage Road from IH-610 SOUTH LOOP to BROAD ST2 Alternate Lane(s)Closed nightly 9:00 PM to 5:00 AM through the morning of Monday, December 31

We drive with google maps or waze app even on our normal daily commutes because we are never sure of a traffic slowdown and they will help you with a reroute to your destination.

THIS. Locals have to drive around with traffic maps, set to avoid tolls, to get around Houston traffic on a daily basis. You need to be using these resources when traveling through Houston to Galveston.