Current visa requirements for China, Vietnam, Singapore, Hong Kong

mmyorkston

Most of the information on these boards in outdated. We are scheduled to sail Bangkok-Shanghai-Bangkok in January 2010. Only one day in Shanghai with no additional stops in China. Also making four stops in Vietnam, 2 in Singapore, 2 in Hong Kong. What are the current visa requirements?

Thanks for your help.

You will need a visa for China.

Verify with your cruise line if they will take care of the Visa for Vietnam while on board the ship or if you need to ahead of time.

No visa needed for Singapore or Hong Kong.

This applies to USA citizens.

Keith

You will need a visa for China.

Verify with your cruise line if they will take care of the Visa for Vietnam while on board the ship or if you need to ahead of time.

No visa needed for Singapore or Hong Kong.

This applies to USA citizens.

Keith

Is this also for Hong Kong? Last time I was there is was under British rule so not required.

Most of the information on these boards in outdated. We are scheduled to sail Bangkok-Shanghai-Bangkok in January 2010. Only one day in Shanghai with no additional stops in China. Also making four stops in Vietnam, 2 in Singapore, 2 in Hong Kong. What are the current visa requirements?

Thanks for your help.

This sounds like a nice itinerary. Which cruise line?

Is this also for Hong Kong? Last time I was there is was under British rule so not required.

Please take a look what I wrote. I noted no visa for Hong Kong. :)

So, not for Hong Kong but for the remainder of China.

Keith

HK does not require a visa, only the rest of China.

Ok, thanks. So if we fly to Bejing for one day we will need a Visa? I really need to consider this as the costs are becoming really crazy to fly to Bejing from the US and than to Hong Kong the next day just to see the Great wall. How much are these Visa for US citizens?

China?

Cambodia?

Vietnam?

How long is each good for?

Please take a look what I wrote. I noted no visa for Hong Kong. :)

So, not for Hong Kong but for the remainder of China.

Keith

Sorr, you can tell I was half asleep while I was typing.

Ok, thanks. So if we fly to Bejing for one day we will need a Visa? I really need to consider this as the costs are becoming really crazy to fly to Bejing from the US and than to Hong Kong the next day just to see the Great wall. How much are these Visa for US citizens?

China?

Cambodia?

Vietnam?

In Cambodia you apply and pay for the visa upon arrival. Don't bother trying to find a form on the internet and fill it out before you go because they won't accept it, at least they didn't in Siem Reap. They have forms at the airport for you to fill out. Cost is $20 US, payable in cash. Just make sure to bring a photograph of yourself (like a passport photo) to stick to the form. I can't remember for sure how long it was good for - one month seems to ring a bell.

China?

Cambodia?

Vietnam?

Yes, you need a visa if you visit Beijing.

Keith

In Cambodia you apply and pay for the visa upon arrival. Don't bother trying to find a form on the internet and fill it out before you go because they won't accept it, at least they didn't in Siem Reap. They have forms at the airport for you to fill out. Cost is $20 US, payable in cash. Just make sure to bring a photograph of yourself (like a passport photo) to stick to the form. I can't remember for sure how long it was good for - one month seems to ring a bell.

Hmm, we are arriving in Shihanoukville, Cambodia by ship at 6:00am and would be looking for a taxi for the 3.5 hour drive to get a flight from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap. There must be a way to do this in advance?

====

Cambodia:

ENTRY/EXIT REQUIREMENTS: A valid passport and a Cambodian visa are required. Tourist and business visas are valid for one month beginning with the date of entry into Cambodia. Cambodia offers on-line visa processing at http://evisa.mfaic.gov.kh. You may also apply in person at the Cambodian Embassy located at 4530 16th Street NW, Washington, DC 20011, tel. 202-726-7742, fax 202-726-8381. Tourists and business travelers may also obtain a Cambodian visa at the airports in Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, and at all major border crossings. Any method of obtaining a Cambodian visa requires a passport-sized photograph and a passport that is valid for a minimum of six months beyond the date of entry into Cambodia. A departure tax is charged on all domestic and international flights. This tax must be paid in U.S. dollars. Travelers should note that Cambodia regularly imposes fines for overstay on an expired visa. If the overstay is 30 days or less, the charge is USD 5.00 per day, while for overstays of over 30 days, the charge is USD 6.00 per day.

It looks like you can do this on-line for $25.00 with a jpeg photo and present it at Phnom Penh International Airport

"More than 100,000 travelers have chosen e-Visa

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation has launched e-Visa, which enables you to apply for a Cambodia tourist visa online. Instead of applying through Cambodian Embassy, all you need to do is to complete the online application form and pay with your credit card. After receiving your Visa through email, print it out and bring it along when you travel to Cambodia.

Tourist Visa

Entry Type Single entry only

Fees USD20 + USD5 (processing charge)

Validity 3 months (starting from the date of issue)

Length of Stay 30 days (more)

Processing Time 3 business days

Requirement A passport validity of more than six months balance at time of entry, a recent passport-size photo in digital format (JPEG or PNG format), a valid credit card (Visa/MasterCard/American Express/Discover).

Visa Exemption Laos, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Vietnam

Countries not supported Afghanistan, Algeria, Arab Saudi, Bangladesh, Iran, Iraq, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Sudan (Please apply your Visa from your nearest embassy or on-arrival at all major checkpoints)

Name of Port (View Map) Border Entry Exit

Phnom Penh International Airport"

Thanks for all the information. It sure would be helpful if you could do it all online. We have had two visa processing service recommendations, so will go that route, since we are nowhere near a Chinese consulate.

For whoever asked, we are traveling on the Ocean Princess - January 3 - Bangkok to Shanghai and January 19 - Shanghai to Bangkok. Should be quite an adventure.

China?

Cambodia?

Vietnam?

the visa costs $130 plus whatever service fees the agency charges.

It is also necessary to make sure that you get your visa at the "right" consulate. As an Alaskan, I have to get mine in San Francisco...and it would be so much easier to send my brother down the street in NYC....to do it for me. So you need to check on that if you are a US citizen....I booked my air yesterday....long, long flights....but luckily had enough FF miles to upgrade to business...I understand...but have not checked that Princess will obtain all the other visas except for China....Also, a Chinese visa has to be used within 3 months, so you can't do it early....and you need a double entry in you go back into China a second time. There are single entry, double enty and multiple entries for the visa....Quite complicated.:confused:

Getting off the ship in Shanghai, Ocean Princess.. from what I gather, you NEED A VISA just to go from the port (ship) to the airport. It's about 170.00 USD. What a bummer...

Anyone confirm this?

Thanks

Nat

i'm doing the opposite - getting on a cruise from shanghai and was told i MUST have a visa.

make sure your passport is good for 1 full year from the date you plan to enter (not 6 months like almost all the other countries).

This is the cheapest visa company I have found:

http://chinesevisaexpress.com/china.html

Chinese Visa Express.

Their fee is $18.95 plus the fixed consulate fee of $130.

FedEx fee $19.95 = $168.90 for a 12 month/multiple entry, 60 day stay Visa. This is the only option offered by this company.

Has anyone used this company? I think I read a post awhile back somewhere of someone who had used them.

You are correct, LaughingHusky, about using a consulate assigned to our area.

This is the cheapest visa company I have found:

http://chinesevisaexpress.com/china.html

Chinese Visa Express.

Their fee is $18.95 plus the fixed consulate fee of $130.

FedEx fee $19.95 = $168.90 for a 12 month/multiple entry, 60 day stay Visa. This is the only option offered by this company.

Has anyone used this company? I think I read a post awhile back somewhere of someone who had used them.

You are correct, LaughingHusky, about using a consulate assigned to our area.

lost the link i was going to post. oops.

It is also necessary to make sure that you get your visa at the "right" consulate. As an Alaskan, I have to get mine in San Francisco...and it would be so much easier to send my brother down the street in NYC....to do it for me. So you need to check on that if you are a US citizen....I booked my air yesterday....long, long flights....but luckily had enough FF miles to upgrade to business...I understand...but have not checked that Princess will obtain all the other visas except for China....Also, a Chinese visa has to be used within 3 months, so you can't do it early....and you need a double entry in you go back into China a second time. There are single entry, double enty and multiple entries for the visa....Quite complicated.:confused:

Get AT LEAST a double entry visa. Multiple entries are also available for the same price for certain time periods.

I am trying to figure out where you got the info that you had to apply for a Chinese visa from a specific consulate. Sure you are not thinking of a Brazilian visa where you do have to apply at a specific location relative to your residence??? Is this a NEW requirement??? I have had numerous Chinese visas (I go there for business). I have gotten one in NYC (when I was there for business) but also in Los Angeles at least 4 times. I live in Arizona and Missouri.

And if you send your passport to a service for visa processing, how do they handle that? Would indicate that you HAD to find a visa service in San Francisco. One of the cruise lines' heavily recommended visa services (Zierer-they are truly a junk company) has a SF office, but quite a few visa services have only one office-generally close to a consulate.

Please point out where you now MUST apply for a Chinese visa in a specific location.

http://www.china-embassy.org/eng/hzqz/

From the Chinese Embassy site abov:

1. Mailed Applications

l    The Chinese Embassy and Consulates-General only accept mail applications for document authentication.

l    Mail visa application is not acceptable. For visa applications,applicants are required to come to the visa office or entrust a relative or friend or travel/visa agent (no power of attorney is required) to come to the visa office for the application process.

l    Mail application should be sent to the Visa Office of the Embassy or Consulate -General whose consular jurisdiction covers your State where the applicants live. You may check the Consular districts of the Embassy or Consulate-General to locate the the right Visa Office, otherwise, the documents shall be returned without processing.

l    Write down big letters "Authentication Application" or "Application" on the up-right corner of your envelope, so our staff can easily sort out the mails and avoid any delaying.

2. Mail Back Service

Applicants who come to the Visa Office personally for application submission, may ask the Visa Office to mail his passport /document back, should they provide self-addressed pre-paid return envelops.

Please be notified that mail back service is not provided to areas within 100 miles away from the visa office, which is located at 2201 wisconsin avenue NW, Suite 110, Washington DC, 20007.

I am still confused on the Number 1 on getting a visa.

Not sure this makes anything clearer.

found this on the Chinese Embassy site:

Tourist Visa (L Visa) is issued to an alien who comes to China for sightseeing or visiting family members or friends.

I. Basic Requirements

1. Passport: Your valid passport must have at least six (6) months of remaining validity with at least one blank visa page in it.

2. Application form: One completed Visa Application Form (Q1)

3. Photo: one passport photo (color only) glued or stapled on the application form.

6. Tourists to China shall provide round trip air tickets and hotel reservation.

7. Applicants visiting friends and family members shall provide round trip air tickets and certificates of kinship.

-

Please fill in the application form carefully, completely, and clearly. If not, it may lead to delay in process, or even decline of application.

If necessary, the consular officer will telephone and inform the applicant to provide additional information, such as an invitation letter from your relatives in China, invitation from a Chinese travel agency, and/or air tickets, or travel itinerary.

II. Methods of Application & Process Time

Applicants are required to appear in the visa office to apply. If an applicant cannot come personally, he/she may entrust a relative, friend, or travel/visa agent to come and submit the application on his/her behalf. The Chinese Embassy and Consulates do not accept visa applications by mail.

No appointment is necessary for visa applications.

Regularly it takes 4 business days to process.

The applicant may request expedited process with the approval of consular officers. Additional urgent fee of $20.00 per visa for 2- or 3-business-day process will be charged.

My reading is you cannot mail in a document to have it authenticated by the Chinese Embassy. Some documents must be authenticated by the Embassy before they can be submitted

http://www.china-embassy.org/eng/hzqz/t84229.htm

This is the site that shows info regarding the Chinese Consulate holding jurisdiction by area of residence. There is one embassy in the U.S. (Wash DC) and there are five consulates--L.A, Houston, San Francisco, Chicago, NY. Note the remark about using the proper consulate.

Authentication is a different procedure from applying for a visa and probably not required for a US citizen to obtain a chinese visa.

AFAIK, mailed applications are NOT acceptable UNLESS you are a resident alien from China residing in the USA, you have relatives in China or you have a business/student sponsorship. They did away with mail applications except for the exemptions about 5 years ago. Those mail in exemptions DO have to go to the proper embassy (because of the interface with Beijing), but I don't believe we are dealing with the situation for most general USA tourists.

I truly believe you can use any Consulate you want via relative, friend, TA or visa service. I have been at the LA Consulate when the visa services from Monterey Park/Alhambra come into the office. They have STACKS of visa applications from all over the USA. The only problem I ever heard anyone mention was unsigned applications, no photos attached and not properly filled out applications.

Archived