'The Spice Route' and 'Suez Canal' cruises review

hallasm

We did a 23 night RCCL back-to-back cruises - 10 night 'Spice Route' from Singapore to Dubai and 13 night 'Suez Canal' from Dubai to Barcelona, earlier this year.

I thought the information i did find in preparation for my cruise might be useful for other cruisers. The review is not quite finished - few mor pictures and videos to be added.

In addition to the full review of the actual cruise including videos and pictures, I have included Ports of Call information with links to additional information about sights, and shopping.

The ports of call did include (link to info): Singapore, George Town, Penang, Malaysia; Cochin and Mumbai in India; Dubai; Cruising Suez Canal; Piraeus, Greece; and Valletta, Malta; and Barcelona.

See the full itinerary with details at this link.

This is an example from George Town, Penang of the videos included in the review:

xn0RaRTlj_I

• 1 year later...

Hi Hallasm thank you for the great information on the Suez Canal cruise. We have put a deposit down for a 2020 sailing with Royal Carribean's Jewel of the Seas starting from Dubai and ending in Rome. As it will cost quite a bit we would like to know from your first hand experience if the journey through the Suez can be boring or monotonous even though the crossing is only for2 days. Also will it be too hot to sit out on the balcony of we book a balcony room . Hope you dont mind if i ask you more :)questions as i think if them

Thank you. I’m booked at Jewel when she is sailing from Rome to Dubai end of November 2019. I love the Suez passage and prefer the north bound sailing - a lot to see but in general a Suez cruise does involve several sea days in addition to the Canal passage.

When I have been sailing the Canal in January and March the weather was very pleasant. We did spend a lot of time at the balcony but then you should get a cabin at the left side of the ship facing towards Egypt mainland. But also spend a lot of time at upper deck to watch other ships. Al questions are certainly welcome.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks hallasm

I read another review which advised booking a cabin on the starboard side ie right side of ship but you think the left side might be the way to go?

I booked the cabin before reading any reviews and it is 8568 deck 8 of the Jewel of the Seas i get seasick so midship seems to be better.

Please advise which side would give us the best views and i will try to change the cabin if i can

We are sailing from Dubai to Rome

:eek::eek::confused:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Hallasm i have managed to get a port side balcony cabin.

Were there any safety issues when u did that sailing

apparently gulf of aden and yemen area can b dangerous - pirates etc

Would you recommend any shore excursions in any of the ports

before getting to the Mediterranean

No issue with safety - for sure the cruise lines does have a high focus on securiey when sailing in Gulf of Aden - when we sailed in 2011 a patrol boat was following 'Brilliance'.- see video below.

Last year 'Serenade' sailing security was less visible. Warships patrol in the area - and ships are sailing with full speed.

I need to know which port of call prior to Mediterranean i order to comment on excursions.

2e4v9uDucFg

• 4 months later...
On 9/15/2018 at 6:17 AM, hallasm said:

Thank you. I’m booked at Jewel when she is sailing from Rome to Dubai end of November 2019. I love the Suez passage and prefer the north bound sailing - a lot to see but in general a Suez cruise does involve several sea days in addition to the Canal passage.

When I have been sailing the Canal in January and March the weather was very pleasant. We did spend a lot of time at the balcony but then you should get a cabin at the left side of the ship facing towards Egypt mainland. But also spend a lot of time at upper deck to watch other ships. Al questions are certainly welcome.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We are also on Jewel from Rome to Dubai November 30. Just booked it yesterday so lots of planning and research to do. We will stay 1 nt post cruise in Dubai and would appreciate any recommendations on a good area to stay in Dubai. Also any private tour recommendations are appreciated. Look forward to meeting you onboard and appreciate your reviews and information. 

51 minutes ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

We will stay 1 nt post cruise in Dubai and would appreciate any recommendations on a good area to stay in Dubai. 

I prefer to stay close to the old souks and the Creek in the Deira area. Usually at the JW Marriott.

52 minutes ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

Also any private tour recommendations are appreciated.

I normally book ship excursions in that ‘part of the world’ - have experienced being delayed return  - don’t want to have that experience at a private tour.

I do always explorer Dubai on my own - taxi, walking and crossing the Creek by the Abra’s

3 hours ago, hallasm said:

I prefer to stay close to the old souks and the Creek in the Deira area. Usually at the JW Marriott.

I normally book ship excursions in that ‘part of the world’ - have experienced being delayed return  - don’t want to have that experience at a private tour.

I do always explorer Dubai on my own - taxi, walking and crossing the Creek by the Abra’s

Thanks....looking at Marriott properties too.