Shanghai

Miss Jolly

We will arrive on Diamond Princess in April and will take the ship's shuttle bus into Shanghai which will take about an hour and drop us off at the Julong Silk & Crafts Exhibition Hall.

We wish to see Shanghai independently. From reading lots of posts, our points of interest seem to be (in no particular order)The Skyscrapers in Pudong, The Bund, Yuyuan Gardens & Shopping Centre, Nanking Road (have to get some pearls), markets on HuiHai Rd and the CD cafe across from the Hilton. The highlight will be a ride on the Maga Lev train out to the airpost and back.

I would value thoughts, advice, instructions/directions for these ideas please. Thank you.:)

I am just wondering how you are going to fit everything in that you want to see in a day.

I know that we are planning to go on the train during our second day in Shanghai and I also believe that the Skyscraper in Pudong is on the other side of the river which we may be able to fit in on that day.

We are doing a sightseeing tour with a private guide the first day and we plan to visit the Yuan Garden, the Tea House, Antique Market, The Bund, then lunch and in the afternoon the Shanghai Museum or Jade Buddah Temple and finally the Fish and Bird Market.

Good luck with your plans.

Jennie

In 2006, we were on the Sapphire for 2 days in Shanghai. First day, we booked a private tour... excellent! Second day, we took the ship shuttle into Shanghai and were dropped off at the Julong Silk and Crafts Hall.

One bit of advice... be sure to take the card they pass out on the bus, with the address of Julong. Taxi drivers speak little English and many don't read. Getting back to Julong was a true test for ourselves... and our taxi driver.

Most, if not all the sites you mention, won't be within walking distance of Julong... which will require you to communicate with a taxi driver, explaining where you want to go. That could be a real headache. IMHO, book a private tour, which will probably cover most of the places on your list.

Sandy

We will arrive on Diamond Princess in April and will take the ship's shuttle bus into Shanghai which will take about an hour and drop us off at the Julong Silk & Crafts Exhibition Hall.

We wish to see Shanghai independently. From reading lots of posts, our points of interest seem to be (in no particular order)The Skyscrapers in Pudong, The Bund, Yuyuan Gardens & Shopping Centre, Nanking Road (have to get some pearls), markets on HuiHai Rd and the CD cafe across from the Hilton. The highlight will be a ride on the Maga Lev train out to the airpost and back.

I would value thoughts, advice, instructions/directions for these ideas please. Thank you.:)

I have never done Shanghai by tour from ship but visited on business and vacation several times. I agree with the OP that if you hope to hit everything on your list you won't be able to spend much time at any and traffic will have to be perfect for you.

Taxis are very cheap, but like the other people noted address must be in Chinese. I've had drivers that had difficulty with an english map, even pointing to a place on the map. A map with english/chinese is a must for taxis or the address in chinese! Traffic is simply horrible, plan lots of time to get from place to place. During rush hours in some place flagging a taxi could take some time as everyone will be taken so if you plan to go by taxi from place to place consider that as well in your travel timing.

Yuyuan is worth a visit!! Shanghai 101, currently the highest place you can go is also very cool. You can walk on a see thru floor at the top. Its really awesome on a clear day, unfortunantly there are few days like that there. The Bund is also beautiful but in my three visits the view has been dreadful due haze/ polution. I've attached a few pictures of what you might get on most days.

I'm not sure what kind of shopping you are looking for. The infamous knock offs or the high end shopping. The former is harder to find these days. You can find it but not openingly anymore. All the brick and mortar vendors don't sell anything pirated openly. The high end stuff is very expensive as the upper class is really really rich here.

I've heard the Maga Lev is worth it, pricey but the experience of seeing the two trains coming at each other is an experience. I never found time to get out that way without being on the rush to the airport to actually catch a flight :mad:

Enjoy Shanghai, as it is the most modern, exciting, and dynamic city on earth at the moment!

1231633557_095Day8ShanghaiBund.jpg.27bfe611a6c11174b1f2d79759a71d35.jpg

IMG_5009.jpg.e182cb513077b1ef2c13f73b54f1d4c9.jpg

Thank you both for your advice. Do you think if I showed piictures of our destinations to the taxi driver it would be enough to get us there? (In case I can't find the Chinese writing)

For places like Bund, Old China town, Shanghai 101 or the garden I would think yes, between that and the map I think you should be good. Before every port Princess in Europe would have tour expert, I'd think those info sessions would have maps and things in chinese or be able to point you to where you can get it with 100% confidence.

have fun!

The Bund really needs to be seen after dark when all the buildings are lit.

If you arrive at the Bund at the Nanking intersection you will see that there is a stairway down at the river which goes to the little train that transports you to the other side of the river. The tunnel is lit with many kinds of psychedelic lights. Quite a happy ride of about five minutes.

I was in Shanghai last year and took the Maglev to the airport and back. It certainly is unique but when it gets to very high speeds the train really rocks back and forth even though it isn't on tracks.

Our ship also docked outside the downtown area also but luckily the traffic was quite light that day and the trip only took about 35 minutes to the Exhibition Hall. But this is not usually the case. The main museum is also quite wonderful but I don't think you have enough time. If you don't have time to tour the Yuyuan Gardens you can still go the shopping area outside the entrance without paying a fee.

Just hope for a clear day which will make the city so much more appealing.

Amusea, How long was the round trip MagLev? we are disemabarking in Shanghai and we are hoping to have enuf time to ride it R/T before having to fly home. Our plan is to self debark so we can get off quickly, have a car waiting to take us to the airport and then ride the MagLev and get back in time for a noon flight. Can it be done?

-----------------

Helen

You should have enough time to do that. The ride itself one way is about ten minutes. There is really nothing to see at the end of the line. I would allow one hour for this trip as there will be a wait for the return journey.

Have fun, it's quite an experience.

When you get a cab, and if you do not have any chinese characters just tell him to take you to YU YUAN. after you have explored the area, cross over the crooked bridge at the tea house and go round the back of the actual garden, you will then come to a park with a whole lot of bamboo. Head towards the river and you are at the BUND which is called WAI TAN in chinese if you happen to want to grab a cab there. Cross the main road and walk along the river. At the end of the walk about one mile there is a tunnel that you get on a train that takes you across under the river and you get off next to the Pearl Tower, Shanghai 101 is about 20 minutesw away.

Hope this helps.

It's a 20 minutes walk from the tower. The other item which I forgot to mention is that when you recross the river Nanjing Road starts right opposite the station and if you walk right through Nanjing Rd. for about 2 miles you get into Hui Hai Rd. after you pass the Raddison Hotel. If you are a good walker you should be able to cover that whole area in a day. Make sure that you get a card with the name in Chinese for the the return shuttle service. I would suggest that you start with a cab to YuYuan,then walk to the Bund, Cross over to Pudong, then recross and walk Nanjing Rd. till you want to stop and then cab back to the shuttle. Nanjing Rd. by the way for the Cab is NANJING LU.

Enjoy!!! If you need any more directions let me know. I Lived there on business for 9 months in case you are wondering.

Steve

It's a 20 minutes walk from the tower. The other item which I forgot to mention is that when you recross the river Nanjing Road starts right opposite the station and if you walk right through Nanjing Rd. for about 2 miles you get into Hui Hai Rd. after you pass the Raddison Hotel. If you are a good walker you should be able to cover that whole area in a day. Make sure that you get a card with the name in Chinese for the the return shuttle service. I would suggest that you start with a cab to YuYuan,then walk to the Bund, Cross over to Pudong, then recross and walk Nanjing Rd. till you want to stop and then cab back to the shuttle. Nanjing Rd. by the way for the Cab is NANJING LU.

Enjoy!!! If you need any more directions let me know. I Lived there on business for 9 months in case you are wondering.

Steve

Thanks for your help Steve and your kind offer to give further help.

We are due to arrive on Diamond Princess at 7:00am and leave again at 6pm. Could you look at my original post and PLEASE give exact plans for us to follow. When we tour independently, we like to plan to get back to the ship 2 hours early just to allow for transport problems.

Hi,

I still think you can do that, but skip HuiHai and when you get to the Raddison, People's Park is directly opposite the Hotel, That is where the Museum is. You should get into town by 9.00 am. Go directly to Yu Yuan, The surrounding area is nice and you don't really have to get into the Garden which will take about an hour and not much unless you are into Chinese Gardens. The Bund and Pudong should take about 2 hours then Nanjing Road. Stick around that area and you will see plenty if you walk. The shops don't open till around 10.00 anyways.

Steve

Hi,

I still think you can do that, but skip HuiHai and when you get to the Raddison, People's Park is directly opposite the Hotel, That is where the Museum is. You should get into town by 9.00 am. Go directly to Yu Yuan, The surrounding area is nice and you don't really have to get into the Garden which will take about an hour and not much unless you are into Chinese Gardens. The Bund and Pudong should take about 2 hours then Nanjing Road. Stick around that area and you will see plenty if you walk. The shops don't open till around 10.00 anyways.

Steve

Hi Steve. Thank you for your help. I am going to make a plan here and I would like you to correct any errors that you see and answer my questions that I have put in red text please please.:)As I work it, we have about 6 hours actually max. to spend exploring Shanghai. I have just calculated it all and I do not think that we have time to do it all. Perhaps we leave out the Hui Hai markets and the CD cafe? Again, I need your thoughts on this or of course anyone elses:p

We really want to catch the Mage lev train roundtrip so do you think that we should make this the absolute first thing to do? I am worried that we will get caught up shopping somehwere or enjoying the parks and run out of time for the train ride. If so, how and where do we catch this from please.

This is my plan that does not include the Magalev Train because I did not know where to slot it - but we are very keen to ride it.

1. (8am)Take ship's shuttle to Julong Silk and Crafts Exhibition Hall (arrive by 9am)

2. At Julong Silk and Crafts Exhibition Hall, take 20 minute taxi ride to Yu Yuan and explore park and shops (1 hour if I can get out of the shops;))

3. Cross over the crooked bridge at the tea house and go round the back of the actual garden, then come to a park with a whole lot of bamboo. Head towards the river and you are at the BUND.Pardon my ignorance. but do we get a view of Pudong from The Bund?

4. Cross the main road and walk along the river. At the end of the walk about one mile there is a tunnel that you get on a train that takes you across under the river and you get off next to the Pearl Tower, Shanghai 101 is about 20 minutes walk away.Which way do we walk to get to 101 please? (2hours)

5. After 101 how do we get to Nanjing Rd please?

6. How and when do we get to the markets at Hui Hai Rd or do you think Nanjing Rd alone will have enough shopping? We need pearls and copy type things like bags. Would love to get one of those Mao watches for a friend.

7. How and when do we get to the CD cafe near the Hilton hotel please?

8. How do we get back to Julong Silk and Crafts Exhibition Hall for our shuttle. I would like to get back to the exhibition hall by about 3pm to allow for mishaps please.

Hi Steve. Thank you for your help. I am going to make a plan here and I would like you to correct any errors that you see and answer my questions that I have put in red text please please.:)As I work it, we have about 6 hours actually max. to spend exploring Shanghai. I have just calculated it all and I do not think that we have time to do it all. Perhaps we leave out the Hui Hai markets and the CD cafe? Again, I need your thoughts on this or of course anyone elses:p

We really want to catch the Mage lev train roundtrip so do you think that we should make this the absolute first thing to do? I am worried that we will get caught up shopping somehwere or enjoying the parks and run out of time for the train ride. If so, how and where do we catch this from please.

This is my plan that does not include the Magalev Train because I did not know where to slot it - but we are very keen to ride it.

1. (8am)Take ship's shuttle to Julong Silk and Crafts Exhibition Hall (arrive by 9am)

2. At Julong Silk and Crafts Exhibition Hall, take 20 minute taxi ride to Yu Yuan and explore park and shops (1 hour if I can get out of the shops;))

3. Cross over the crooked bridge at the tea house and go round the back of the actual garden, then come to a park with a whole lot of bamboo. Head towards the river and you are at the BUND.Pardon my ignorance. but do we get a view of Pudong from The Bund?

4. Cross the main road and walk along the river. At the end of the walk about one mile there is a tunnel that you get on a train that takes you across under the river and you get off next to the Pearl Tower, Shanghai 101 is about 20 minutes walk away.Which way do we walk to get to 101 please? (2hours)

5. After 101 how do we get to Nanjing Rd please?

6. How and when do we get to the markets at Hui Hai Rd or do you think Nanjing Rd alone will have enough shopping? We need pearls and copy type things like bags. Would love to get one of those Mao watches for a friend.

7. How and when do we get to the CD cafe near the Hilton hotel please?

8. How do we get back to Julong Silk and Crafts Exhibition Hall for our shuttle. I would like to get back to the exhibition hall by about 3pm to allow for mishaps please.

1. You can get a cab to the Maglev stn. which is on the Pudong side. I would say about 20 minutes from 101. Get the train return to and from airport, I would think that this will take about 40 minutes.

2. Yes you can see Pudong from the Bund.

3. 101 is on the right of the Pearl Tower looking from the Bund side, right next to The second highest building and highest hotel Hyatt.

4. on the original plan you recross the river by the tourist tunnel train and you are right opposite Nanjing Road.

5. Pearls are best at YuYuan Offer 1/2 the price and settle for 2/3.Copy things are also best there with the Mao Watches. again same principle for bargaining. Forget about Hui Hai all high end.

Forget about CD cafe.

6. Return to shuttle by Cab.

You could gey to Yuyuan first. Walk along the Bund and NanJing Rd. up to People's Square. Walk back to Nanjong Road to the Bund, get across on the tourist train to Pearl Tower. Get to 101, then Cab to Maglev Stn. Do the R/T and get a cab from Stn to Shuttle. which will give you a bit more time. Pudong and the Maglev will take you about 2 hours so you can judge from there how long you can spend at YuYuan and Nanjing Rd.

Steve

Hi,

I don't remember what the R/T journey cost is but the last time I was on it one way it was 50CNY one way. The station from Pudong is a bit out of the way and it is called Pudong Long Yang Station. The one way trip is 8 minutes and 19 miles. I would estimate 1/2 hr. at most for the return trip.

Hope this helps.

1. You can get a cab to the Maglev stn. which is on the Pudong side. I would say about 20 minutes from 101. Get the train return to and from airport, I would think that this will take about 40 minutes.

2. Yes you can see Pudong from the Bund.

3. 101 is on the right of the Pearl Tower looking from the Bund side, right next to The second highest building and highest hotel Hyatt.

4. on the original plan you recross the river by the tourist tunnel train and you are right opposite Nanjing Road.

5. Pearls are best at YuYuan Offer 1/2 the price and settle for 2/3.Copy things are also best there with the Mao Watches. again same principle for bargaining. Forget about Hui Hai all high end.

Forget about CD cafe.

6. Return to shuttle by Cab.

You could gey to Yuyuan first. Walk along the Bund and NanJing Rd. up to People's Square. Walk back to Nanjong Road to the Bund, get across on the tourist train to Pearl Tower. Get to 101, then Cab to Maglev Stn. Do the R/T and get a cab from Stn to Shuttle. which will give you a bit more time. Pudong and the Maglev will take you about 2 hours so you can judge from there how long you can spend at YuYuan and Nanjing Rd.

Steve

Wow! Thanks Steve for your hard work. This is a great help and I know some fellow passengers will also be having a look at this plan! Just curious, would it work if we went straight to the train first from the ship's shuttle drop off point?:confused:

Hi,

Just checked again with the maps,there is a metro line 2 that goes to the Maglev Station. It leaves from near the Hyatt Hotel in the previous tallest building in Shanghai next to 101 and is 6 stops on. Do nyou have the address for the shuttle drop off?

The other thing that I failed to mention is that when you are the first customer when shopping there is a better chance for making a deal as it is bad luck to lose the first customer of the day.

Another thing is that the single fare is 50 RMB and the return is 80.

I do have some maps which I will mark up and try posting after I have them scanned. Hopefully it will work, otherwise I may have to send it by email.

Steve

Steve,

Thanks so much for all that wonderful information. We will be on Azamara Quest in a month's time and we have two days in Shanghai plus my DH and myself will be returning for 3 days after we finish our cruise and our tour of China.

I have cut and pasted your posts to take with us.

Jennie

Archived