What are the pros and cons of the Aft Facing Verandas on the Nautica?

Ken the cruiser

We're getting ready to book a 32 day cruise on the Nautica and in the past have really enjoyed aft-facing verandas on other cruise lines. However, this will be our first time on the Nautica and were wondering what the differences are, if any, between the two A1 aft facing verandas on decks 7 and 8 and the two on deck 6? Also, are they highly sought after rooms or are there hidden issues which keep the more seasoned Oceania cruisers from booking them? Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated. :)

We're getting ready to book a 32 day cruise on the Nautica and in the past have really enjoyed aft-facing verandas on other cruise lines. However, this will be our first time on the Nautica and were wondering what the differences are, if any, between the two A1 aft facing verandas on decks 7 and 8 and the two on deck 6? Also, are they highly sought after rooms or are there hidden issues which keep the more seasoned Oceania cruisers from booking them? Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated. :)

Hi -

We have sailed in 6093 on Nautica. It has a very deep balcony, probably at least 3 times as deep as the side balconies. Generally these are highly sought after staterooms. I believe the balconies get slightly less deep as they go up. Deck 8 probably been the least private due to the Terrace Caf? outdoor eating area.

Some drawbacks -

--Fine black soot from the stacks does collect on the balcony. So a wipe down of the deck furniture is needed before sitting down, especially if you are wearing light clothing.

--There are reports from a cruiser on Insignia's (sister ship) RTW cruise that they are getting fumes being sucked into their cabin. Getting so bad that on one segment they were offered another room to sleep in. I believe they are also in 6093.

--There is a pronounced vibration (at least in 6093) when the ship is underway at full speed. It didn't bother us, but did bother the couple in the Vista suite next door to us that we got to know.

--Balcony railing is solid, so you can't really see the wake when you are sitting down.

Bottom line for me, I would book 6093 again with no hesitations.

Joe

Though well meaning, Joe is slightly discombobulated. The Vista Suites are at the front of the ship. His neighbors would have been in Owners Suites.

I'm sure he meant to say Owners Suites. I'm guessing since the Owners Suites are on both sides of the aft-facing verandas on all three decks, those occupants would be quite upset to encounter too many negative issues, especially considering the cost of those suites. For us, we're looking to book either of the verandas on deck 7 first, with deck 8 (below the Terrace Cafe) being second and finally either of the deck 6 verandas (above the dining room) if all else fails.

Though well meaning, Joe is slightly discombobulated. The Vista Suites are at the front of the ship. His neighbors would have been in Owners Suites.

Indeed, I will accept the discombobulated crown for the day. :loudcry: Owner's Suite it was.

Joe

Thanks everyone! We just booked 7116 on the 32 day Pathways of the North cruise in 2018 and cannot be more excited!! If I might ask, what are typical sea days like on these longer R class ship voyages? Hopefully O will bring some good lecturers on board as we will be visiting the Baltic, Great Britain, Iceland and Greenland. The only other O cruises we've been on were on the Riviera in the Caribbean. But even then they had brought aboard some interesting speakers. But this cruise is in a whole different class and should be one we will remember for along time.

To expand on what Lyn has said, we've been on cruises that had wonderful lecturers. We've been on cruises that had few lecturers. There is no predicting what any itinerary will have.

We have seen that Oceania tries to get lecturers who deal with the itinerary ... but that isn't always feasible.

We were on one transatlantic where they had a "volunteer" who did a number of programs on old movies, musicals, even opera, and the performers. He was wonderful but that was only one time in our experience.

I think they DO try to have more on board when there are more sea days ... but even then, there aren't guarantees.

It's harder for smaller ships to get the kind of people all the passengers might want ...

Even so, we've never been bored! And we happen to like sea days ...

Mura