Dress Code

gkgk123ca

I don't know why people would think that on cruises to Antarctica (or Alaska ) would vary from the "average." The only adjustments I noticed on our Antarctica cruise had to do with the obvious -- the weather

Agreed. You may be amused by the way one or two passengers wear their complimentary Seabourn outdoor jackets from breakfast to bed time. But we never saw them in the MDR.

Tony

I don't know why people would think that on cruises to Antarctica (or Alaska ) would vary from the "average." The only adjustments I noticed on our Antarctica cruise had to do with the obvious -- the weather

Agreed. You may be amused by the way one or two passengers wear their complimentary Seabourn outdoor jackets from breakfast to bed time. But we never saw them in the MDR.

Tony

Why would you be amused by that? What would be wrong with that as long as they didn't wear them in the MDR? Perhaps these people were cold. Did you ever think of that?

Oh dear, Wendy!

"Perhaps these people were cold."

Of course Wendy. Why didn't I think of that. Thanks for the suggestion.

I never said it was wrong. I merely found it appealed to my sense of humour.

Tony

Well as a neophyte Seabourn customers, with my first journey booked for next year, I guess I'm just not in on the joke about the jackets.

Welcome to Seabourn, Wendy.

With 14,327 posts on this forum you are clearly an experienced traveller. Used to seeing all sorts doing all things. Nothing phases you. Great. It's fun meeting folk like you and getting ideas for future travels (I am too old to call them holidays - life is one long holiday now....interspersed with travel from home)

Maybe you'll not see the irony of the jacket fetish. We felt it was just like the youngster getting his first windcheater and being so excited he insisted on going to bed wearing it. Yes, these folks could have been cold. But in the cocktail bar or at tea time having their sandwiches with the crusts cut off? Surely not?

Tony

Welcome to Seabourn, Wendy.

With 14,327 posts on this forum you are clearly an experienced traveller. Used to seeing all sorts doing all things. Nothing phases you. Great. It's fun meeting folk like you and getting ideas for future travels (I am too old to call them holidays - life is one long holiday now....interspersed with travel from home)

Maybe you'll not see the irony of the jacket fetish. We felt it was just like the youngster getting his first windcheater and being so excited he insisted on going to bed wearing it. Yes, these folks could have been cold. But in the cocktail bar or at tea time having their sandwiches with the crusts cut off? Surely not?

Tony

Just curious: Since you were "amused" by the couple's behavior, did that cause you to introduce yourself to them and get to know them? Or, did it cause you to distance yourself from them?

Neither.

I guess that sounds rather a boring answer.

"How did you like that last whale watch trip and why don't you take your overjackets off"

Even I can't do that, but I'll talk to anybody who will talk to me. Another sign of age!!

I think I remember making the odd, hopefully in jest, comment that someone was getting good use from their goodie.

Don't worry. People have no qualms at taking the whatsit at what I wear some time. But I take it in fun. There was lots of banter on the last Alaska trip. It's all part of travel and the good thing about Seabourn is that it is all taken in good spirit.

What annoys me around here is all this holy "I am not going to be told what to wear" ranting. If it is an issue then stay at home!

Tony

Well as a neophyte Seabourn customers, with my first journey booked for next year, I guess I'm just not in on the joke about the jackets.

Wendy and Dave, we're on our first Seabourn cruise and went through our first formal night last night. You will be fine wearing what you wear on the PG except Dave will need a sport coat for that one night. Lots of men w/o ties (including me) and women in "Chicos wear."

Sent from my VS985 4G using Forums mobile app

Wendy and Dave, we're on our first Seabourn cruise and went through our first formal night last night. You will be fine wearing what you wear on the PG except Dave will need a sport coat for that one night. Lots of men w/o ties (including me) and women in "Chicos wear."

Thanks, I'm sure we'll be fine. Of course it's a cool weather cruise, so we won't be wearing *precisely* what we wear on the PG, lol. But point taken. I also understand there is a casual restaurant if you want to avoid formal night entirely. David bought a suit thirteen years ago for a cruise, our last with a formal night, and since then he's only ever worn it for weddings and funerals. He outgrew his last, beautiful sports jacket some time ago.

Thanks, I'm sure we'll be fine. Of course it's a cool weather cruise, so we won't be wearing *precisely* what we wear on the PG, lol. But point taken. I also understand there is a casual restaurant if you want to avoid formal night entirely. David bought a suit thirteen years ago for a cruise, our last with a formal night, and since then he's only ever worn it for weddings and funerals. He outgrew his last, beautiful sports jacket some time ago.

yes, you can avoid it altogether, and it's a very good alternative. in fact, we're eating there this evening

Sent from my VS985 4G using Forums mobile app

• 1 month later...

Just spent 4 weeks on 2 Seabourn cruises. Jeans in the evening are rare, and people do look at you. I would not wear them in the evening if I were you, but if you do eat at Patio. The website and booklet say no jeans in the evening, up to you if you want to ignore this request. I personally hope Seabourn keeps their dress code enforced.

My question is not about the dress code but about how people actually dress. My travel agent insists I will be comfortable on Seabourn. I think not, but am willing to ask.

We've been on 21 ocean cruises but nothing more upscale than Regent. I haven't taken a sports jacket out of the U.S. in 15 years. Everything I own is wash and wear. I travel with one pair of black shoes - I would call them walking shoes. At dinner I wear a long sleeved collared shirt and slacks or chinos.

What percentage of men would be dressed like that on a normal evening in the main dining room? Would I stick out like a sore, lower class thumb? My husband wore dress pants and dress shirt most of the evenings. On formal night he wore tie and jacket. We did see some men dressed in khakis and short sleeved shirt in MDR on formal night, but that was a rarity and they looked out of place.

If I tossed a blazer in the suitcase, would that be enough to blend in? Yes, and I tie would make you invisible, lol

If it's warm, I walk around during the day in a polo shirt, cargo pants and sometimes sandals. Again, would I stick out like a sore thumb? Not at all....some days we would wear casual pants and t-shirts and flip flops. some days we would dress up. During the day you see all sorts of outfits.

Thanks in advance for any serious advice.

. You are welcome....we have taken 2 Seabourn cruises over the last 7 weeks so let me know if you have any other questions!

My husband wore dress pants and dress shirt most of the evenings. On formal night he wore tie and jacket. We did see some men dressed in khakis and short sleeved shirt in MDR on formal night, but that was a rarity and they looked out of place.

If I tossed a blazer in the suitcase, would that be enough to blend in? Yes, and I tie would make you invisible, lol

If it's warm, I walk around during the day in a polo shirt, cargo pants and sometimes sandals. Again, would I stick out like a sore thumb? Not at all....some days we would wear casual pants and t-shirts and flip flops. some days we would dress up. During the day you see all sorts of outfits.

You are welcome....we have only taken 4 Seabourn cruises but 2 have been over the last 7 weeks so let me know if you have any other questions!

At 39 pages this thread is hilarious reading. I'm sure some of the pompous posts are tongue in cheek. I didn't bother with a jacket on our last cruise and happily missed the formal dinner event. I actually bought a suit a few years ago. With thoughts about when I'm most likely to wear it next I am just hoping it is flammable!

Please keep posting. Someday someone will make this into a book or a play. Maybe "Much ado about nothing" . (Sorry Mr. Shakespeare).

At 39 pages this thread is hilarious reading. I'm sure some of the pompous posts are tongue in cheek. I didn't bother with a jacket on our last cruise and happily missed the formal dinner event. I actually bought a suit a few years ago. With thoughts about when I'm most likely to wear it next I am just hoping it is flammable!

Please keep posting. Someday someone will make this into a book or a play. Maybe "Much ado about nothing" . (Sorry Mr. Shakespeare).

If you truly want to chuckle, check out the dress threads on the Princess boards.

Wendy, we will be on our second Seabourn cruise next week. We are looking forward to the more resort casual atmosphere of Seabourn vs. Silversea. It will be our 35th Cruise overall. We did not like our last SS cruise, which has driven us back to Seabourn.

However, I don’t know that my opinion will count. I am in fact a fat guy which is seen with disdain by some. I don’t use a mobility scooter and dislike buffets, but enjoy good food and drink. We like the finer things without the pretense. We are hoping this will fit the bill.

• 2 weeks later...

On our last Seabourn cruse I don’t remember any evening that coats, ties and/or evening dress was required. Cocktail dress appeared optional. A nice black dress or neutral color is always good. We ate much of the time in the casual restaurant and will probably do so again on this cruise.

It is with great reluctance we are unmothballing our formal evening wear. We are cruising shirtly on Cunard which still maintains its stuffiness. Little choice as one of us was forbidden to fly for health reason, but fortunately this ban has now been lifted but too late to cancel Cunard. Oh! we long to go back to Seabourn or Regent with their relaxed smart casual dress code.

• 5 weeks later...

I’ve seen many a guests looking quite stylish sporting jeans in the evening. They dined under the stars in the Patio and always appeared to be having great fun. I do not think they noticed it gave acsecond thought to anyone, if anyone, who looked at them. Having too much fun I suppose. (I even joined them, wearing jeans too. And dined in the Colonnade too. Fun people. Not judgmental. Just living the life and not bothering anyone while on holiday from their otherwise hectic work lives. Maybe they will dress more when they retire, but I think not.)

I’ve seen many a guests looking quite stylish sporting jeans in the evening. They dined under the stars in the Patio and always appeared to be having great fun. I do not think they noticed it gave acsecond thought to anyone, if anyone, who looked at them. Having too much fun I suppose. (I even joined them, wearing jeans too. And dined in the Colonnade too. Fun people. Not judgmental. Just living the life and not bothering anyone while on holiday from their otherwise hectic work lives. Maybe they will dress more when they retire, but I think not.)

I like hearing this, thanks!