Formal night with an infant?

LonelyTraveler

Cruise newbie here, off on my first cruise this coming weekend and excited about it.

We are traveling with a 15 month infant, so that already limits what we can do onboard the ship. However, how about the formal night dinner? Is that an adults only thing, or can we take our kid along for dinner?

Cruise newbie here, off on my first cruise this coming weekend and excited about it.

We are traveling with a 15 month infant, so that already limits what we can do onboard the ship. However, how about the formal night dinner? Is that an adults only thing, or can we take our kid along for dinner?

No problem!:)

While it may technically be allowed, the people near you and for that matter all over the dining room will get very annoyed at you when your child starts bawling and you do not remove him as soon as he starts. It is not a fault of the child as all children cry at times for reasons known only to them. Also I personally would not want to share a table with a family with an infant.

I am waiting for the flaming.

DON

While it may technically be allowed, the people near you and for that matter all over the dining room will get very annoyed at you when your child starts bawling and you do not remove him as soon as he starts. It is not a fault of the child as all children cry at times for reasons known only to them. Also I personally would not want to share a table with a family with an infant.

I am waiting for the flaming.

DON

It's totally okay to say that you don't want to share the table and ask to be moved. Heck I have kids and have been at a restaurant without them and asked to be moved away from a table with an infant.

Where it becomes not okay is to make the family feel like they shouldn't be there, because they should and the cruise line welcomes them.

It's totally okay to say that you don't want to share the table and ask to be moved. Heck I have kids and have been at a restaurant without them and asked to be moved away from a table with an infant.

Where it becomes not okay is to make the family feel like they shouldn't be there, because they should and the cruise line welcomes them.

I have no problem at all w infants. I do have a major problem with crying infants in a good restaurant who are not taken out by their parents. All of us have had dinners ruined by a loud crying infant. You expect kids and crying infants in Denny's.You do not expect them in a good restaurant especially where there are alternatives.

DON

Of course you can bring your young - in my experience very young children are fascinated by the experience of an MDR - and rarely are as objectionable as the loud mouth grown-ups with poor manners who like to dominate conversations at table.

When a toddler "loses it" at table, the parents generally remove him/her; too often the adult boor has so effectively stifled his/her partner that there is little hope for surcease until after dessert .

Thanks all for your comments.

To round off this thread - we just got back from the cruise, and had a fantastic time! We did take the kid to the Formal night in the MDR, and we thoroughly enjoyed it, and so did the kid. The guests on the adjoining table loved him too, especially when he enthusiastically joined in by clapping for a guest celebrating her birthday at the next table :D. He loved waving a napkin when the waiters danced, and in return the waiter at our table made him a rat from a napkin, which is now his favorite bedtime toy ;p

To round off this thread - we just got back from the cruise, and had a fantastic time! We did take the kid to the Formal night in the MDR, and we thoroughly enjoyed it, and so did the kid. The guests on the adjoining table loved him too, especially when he enthusiastically joined in by clapping for a guest celebrating her birthday at the next table :D. He loved waving a napkin when the waiters danced, and in return the waiter at our table made him a rat from a napkin, which is now his favorite bedtime toy ;p

Awesome. So glad you went for it.

So happy to hear that everything turned out well and you had a great cruise.

Great stuff, I am glad it worked out well. I would have said to take the child as there would be so much to keep them distracted they would likely not cry. My grand daughter absolutely loved it and she was only 11 months old when we cruised.

Glad it worked out in spite of my negative comments.

DON

Glad it worked out in spite of my negative comments.

DON

I agree with your misgivings, Don.

A formal dinner is no place for a disruptive kiddie, though no harm if the parent accepts that they may have to take them out if they play-up.:loudcry:

No such problem with the OP's kiddie - in fact it sounds like junior was a big hit :)

Glad it worked out well.:)

JB :)

I agree with your misgivings, Don.

A formal dinner is no place for a disruptive kiddie, though no harm if the parent accepts that they may have to take them out if they play-up.:loudcry:

No such problem with the OP's kiddie - in fact it sounds like junior was a big hit :)

Glad it worked out well.:)

It all depends on the conduct of the individual - be he 16 months or 22 or 75 years old. I have had more dinners disturbed by misbehaving seniors (or middle-agers, for that matter) than by crying babies --- whose traveling companions seem more ready to remove them than are the traveling companions of offensive grown-ups.

It all depends on the conduct of the individual - be he 16 months or 22 or 75 years old. I have had more dinners disturbed by misbehaving seniors than by crying babies .

Yep, 75 year-olds can be a pain too.:(

Problem is, their parents don't have the decency to take them out of the room when they play-up.:D

It all depends on the conduct of the individual - be he 16 months or 22 or 75 years old. I have had more dinners disturbed by misbehaving seniors (or middle-agers, for that matter) than by crying babies --- whose traveling companions seem more ready to remove them than are the traveling companions of offensive grown-ups.

Agreed. Most parents will try and control the mis-behaviour of their children or remove them, while adults will make excuses for their partner's or friend's behaviour and do nothing.