Anyone close to retirement? / when do you start counting the days?

Look2Sea

Jenteso, congratulations on your early retirement at 56. I just retired this year at the age of 74 (people think I look younger than what I am) from a large corporate office, but I loved my job, and they were moving, and I didn't want to move, as I lived so close to my job. That is wonderful that you can retire at this early age.

Jenteso, congratulations on your early retirement at 56. I just retired this year at the age of 74 (people think I look younger than what I am) from a large corporate office, but I loved my job, and they were moving, and I didn't want to move, as I lived so close to my job. That is wonderful that you can retire at this early age.

Thank you beshears! I am actually quite blessed and fortunate to be able to retire now and start my second journey.

Debbie

Dec. 26 I am going to apply for my Social Security as I will be 66 in Feb. I planned on teaching fulltime for one more year (2018-2019). Then I found out that I can work 19 hours a week in the school system and still collect my pension. So hopefully, that will work. No benefits but just some extra money.

Great thread.

I will be 60 next year and plan to call it a day thefollowing April (527 days !) after our trip to Australia. Although I enjoy my job most of the time,…if things deteriorate much more, then I will quit early. I simply don’tneed the hassle any more.

Right now, I am only continuing working to subsidizeour vacations and that’s keeps me going. We will continue to do cruises once Iretire but we may need to taper it back a wee bit.

My biggest issue at the moment is what to do with myselfonce I stop working. I am mulling over a number of options so we will see.

Debbie

Dec. 26 I am going to apply for my Social Security as I will be 66 in Feb. I planned on teaching fulltime for one more year (2018-2019). Then I found out that I can work 19 hours a week in the school system and still collect my pension. So hopefully, that will work. No benefits but just some extra money.

That would be great!!!![emoji4][emoji4][emoji4]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Forums mobile app

Back with an update. I did retire on 1 October. We have done a ton of travel but mostly by car to Virginia, Tennessee, Colorado, Kansas, Texas and Louisiana. I wanted to be sure that my hard earned nonrev flight benefits were going to work and they did on flights to Belize and California. No cruises yet but still set for NCL Epic from Florida to Barcelona and return on Carnival Horizon from Barcelona to New York in the spring.

Congrats Sentrydriver! Sounds like you are enjoying your retirement.

I'm still counting, 12 more marbles to go. These days I'm thinking I should take a few extra out of the jar every month due to the stress I'm under both at work and at home. Just have to tough it out and hope that 2018 is a better year than 2017 has turned out to be.

Wow. I can’t believe the posts. I am 64. Maybe I can retire at 70. No pension I work for private business who knows what people need to retire. 1m. 2m so I am considered upper middle class with no money ! Ok have At me cruise critic people

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Wow!! What a great thread, and one which has been going since 2009! There has been some really great advice posted here on a wide variety of topics.

Overwhelming I am reading that people are happy withtheir decision to retire, but I am curious to hear if anyone decided it was nota good decision after they had retired, and if so what you did about it (returnto your old job or….).

I am about 80 hump days (weeks) away from my planned retirement (July, 2019). I’ve been to a number of classes about retirement, which have provided some excellent information. A number of classes have stressed that, while important, financial planning is not the only aspect to consider when planning for retirement. They talked about the need to have some structure and plans for your post-retirement life. Of course, part of that planning includes going on cruises! :D

I retired yesterday. Going to Mexico in the morning for a week to spend Christmas. 16 days from now I have a 10 day Caribbean cruise booked. Retirement should be fun!
Congratulations to you too! Awesome

Denise

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

For those who have Amazon Echo/Alexa you can ask her how many days/weeks/months, etc. until your retirement date. Fun way to count down the days. I assume other similar devices can do this as well.

I have a calendar count-down - for the days, but since retirement is still a ways away, I'm using my marble jar. Each marble represents a month....I started with 48 marbles, I'm down to 12. When I lose all my marbles I'm out of there! Official retirement date is January 31, 2019 but I've kept enough vacation to be able to walk out the door at the end of November 2018. I'm not wishing the days away but I'll be very happy when that day arrives.

Congrats to all who have retired this month!

I have a calendar count-down - for the days, but since retirement is still a ways away, I'm using my marble jar. Each marble represents a month....I started with 48 marbles, I'm down to 12. When I lose all my marbles I'm out of there! Official retirement date is January 31, 2019 but I've kept enough vacation to be able to walk out the door at the end of November 2018. I'm not wishing the days away but I'll be very happy when that day arrives.

Congrats to all who have retired this month!

Some cool ideas here, marbles ,paper clips etc. I am not gonna have much vacation time when I leave. They

only let us carry so much from year to year and I use mine. When I run out I will have to retire anyway. [emoji16]

Denise

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Wow!! What a great thread, and one which has been going since 2009! There has been some really great advice posted here on a wide variety of topics.

Overwhelming I am reading that people are happy withtheir decision to retire, but I am curious to hear if anyone decided it was nota good decision after they had retired, and if so what you did about it (returnto your old job or….).

I am about 80 hump days (weeks) away from my planned retirement (July, 2019). I’ve been to a number of classes about retirement, which have provided some excellent information. A number of classes have stressed that, while important, financial planning is not the only aspect to consider when planning for retirement. They talked about the need to have some structure and plans for your post-retirement life. Of course, part of that planning includes going on cruises! :D

j

Yes, it is not just money that is needed to retire but purpose to your day. I have two of my grandchildren who live near me so some time will be spent picking them up from school (one comes with me now) and taking them places. Besides cruises, visiting my other grandchildren in two different states would be another way to enjoy retirement.