Cozumel - Why does HAL ships arrive 11:00 and leve late?

pauly

Now I am not sure if I am remembering this correctly- but that might be the night the ship puts on the big Mexican Fiesta on the top deck. They bring in a local mariachi band to entertain and they have a huge buffet. It was very festive and the mariachi singers were beautifully dressed. Twice while on HAL this event took place and it seems to me it was while in Cozumel. The late departure allows for the local band to perform and leave before the ship sails.

That would be great but I've read that due to health inspections, the buffets on the top deck have been cancelled.

They say Health Inspectors made them discontinue the on deck dinners. :rolleyes: They safely did thoese dec k parties for decades.soo........ who knows why? They surely were a lot of work but many were also lots of fun. Maybe reduced crew made it too hard to continue them?

Edited by sail7seas

I don't question that written in the previous posts, however, I remember doing some of the same itineraries in years past and same ship, same class of ship was able to get from island A in the Caribbean to Island B in 5 hours but now it takes 9 or more hours? Did they MOVE some of t he islands? :D Same distance, unless they moved the islands, why would or should it have to take longer? Because they sail at lower speed and reduced fuel burn. I understand cruise lines are for profit businesses but it gets to the point the guest enjoyement and satisfaction and likelihood they will tell their friends an relative how great the product, has to haver some value When those in charge forget to provide that great cruise, they shoot them selves in the foot, iMMO. they need the guest to be satisified with their experience and feel attention was paid to makinng the cruise as good as possible and not just to saving money for the cruise line. If somthting is inferior, it doesn't matter if it is free, it will have little or no value or appeal. IMO

Sail, I'm not great at math but hear goes.

If a train leaves Cleveland heading for Chicago at 4 pm traveling 55 mph and at the same time a train leaves Chicago... Wrong example. Let's try again.

The Eurodam leaves Grand Cayman at 4 pm. The next port is Cozumel, 326 nm's away. In order to arrive in Cozemul by 11 am the next day the ship must maintain a speed of 18-19 knots; which is not a slow speed, to reach the port. I assure you the islands have not moved but maybe will move over the next million years.

I hope this helps cause I have no idea what I did :D

Sail, I'm not great at math but hear goes.

If a train leaves Cleveland heading for Chicago at 4 pm traveling 55 mph and at the same time a train leaves Chicago... Wrong example. Let's try again.

The Eurodam leaves Grand Cayman at 4 pm. The next port is Cozumel, 326 nm's away. In order to arrive in Cozemul by 11 am the next day the ship must maintain a speed of 18-19 knots; which is not a slow speed, to reach the port. I assure you the islands have not moved but maybe will move over the next million years.

I hope this helps cause I have no idea what I did :D

YES, thank you. I figured that part out from another post on this thread. Also, I was quickly reminded why I DON'T start any threads and participate in very few.:rolleyes:

Let's talk about the money again.

Fuel is the biggest cost a ship has.

The price of fuel for ships has tripled over the past 20 years.

What about the price of your cruise?

It has gone down.

How is that possible?

The cruise lines have reduced port times and altered itineraries to save fuel and money.

Maybe you could try a poll asking how many passengers would be willing to pay double - or more - for their cruise if the port stays were a bit longer.

I think you already know the results of that poll...........

I keep hearingg the prices of our cruises in1990's dollars have dropped so dramatically. Can't tell that by me. I do not agree that all cabins in all caggegories for all guests have dropped (in commensurate price. My pricces are not in 'same value dollars' such a drop in price. I will grantr neverran all over the net and every TA in sight to get the biggest bargais sand I still do not scurry to find rock bottom prices (NOT THAT I have anything aginst saving money) but we (I)wanted what we wanted and we got the cabins we want at what might not have been the lowest price. Perhaps there are people here who shop more carefullya nd their prices are that much better in ' same value dollarws . My prices are not lower. This how much did you pay and arre you now paying is a convenient 'catchall' but not the whole picture It is too easy to brush any qualrity comparisons aside that way, There are way too many cutbac ks to fully be explained by that handy dandywhip out that card..... easy answer. Cannot prove it by me an d my realities. .

If teddh experience suffers or is diminished too badly, doesn't mater if it is free. It has little value or appeal if the things that made it spec ial are gone or radically different.

Edited by sail7seas

Many, many people are relatively new to cruising and do not have previous experiences to compare to when pricing or experiencing a cruise. As such, they are very happy with what they’ve

paid and what they are being given.

Others have the experience and understand that the only constant on earth is change and are happy with a cruise experience that is fun if not the same as in the Good old days.

Lots of us will continue to cruise they do bring steerage back!