Nautica - Hong Kong to shanghai

wally_bushy

Currently on cruise and enjoying an unusual itinerary.

I am a fan of Oceania and cruised with them a number of times and have another booked for September this year. We are traveling with friends with a similar history of cruising.

As Australians we pay top dollar for an Oceania cruise as the exchange rate, no air and limited TA benefits all go against our pricing.

We have reached the point where it is marginal to cruise when comparing the above and value received.

The service level has certainly diminished particularly in the dining areas.

Orders have been wrong, we have waited an inordinate time to be served and then wait for the food.

Side orders at breakfast have been served after the main meal has been eaten (if we waited the omelettes would be cold).

The number of staff in the GDR (breakfast) is down and they are running around frazzled and at times confused.

I am not sure of the reason.

When staff take your order some of them are looking at the next table and not focused on your order so I am not surprised some orders are wrong

The general engagement is lacking and no I am not looking for a "best friend" approach from them.

This is our view and therefore is fact in our eyes. I know many factors of a cruise are subjective and the experience is still good, but it used to be great.

Any opinions:)

Only that you are entitled to your opinion. Read the reviews on cc and you find that people on the same cruise often have vastly different perceptions of their experience

None of us can say whether your experience is being shared by other passengers

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were on Nautica in June/July and I can't recall encountering the problems you mention. Of course, there could have been changes since then ... whether policy changes or crew changeovers. In fact, given that it's about 9 months since we were on board I am SURE there have been changes in crew.

It's indeed unfortunate if this is truly the new normal.

Mura

My suggestion is to have a word with the maitre d' and explain what you are experiencing. If that doesn't work move to the hotel manager or General Director or whatever Oceania calls him. But do something while you are still onboard and they can fix it.

I agree with Henry speak to the Maitre'd or the Concierge

I used the computer in the library to write a note about our problem & printed off my letter of complaint

Gave it to the Concierge & a few hours later heard from the GM & Restaurant manager

Get it sorted out while onboard

JMO

Lyn

Only that you are entitled to your opinion. Read the reviews on cc and you find that people on the same cruise often have vastly different perceptions of their experience

None of us can say whether your experience is being shared by other passengers

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I expected this type of response and I don't mean that to sound rude. Yes there is an opinion but the facts remain, wrong food, late food, slow service, looking around at other tables while taking orders.

We were on Nautica last August and found the service throughout to be very good. We were particularly impressed by how happy and relaxed and efficient the crew were in the dining areas, so I'm sorry to read of your experience.

Staffing changes as contracts come to an end or crew change ships and we have had below par service monce or twice on another R ship. If the Maitre d' asks how the meal went as we leave the dining room I always mention if things went well or were disappointing and this generally leads to an improvement.

We did Singapore to Shanghai a few years ago and loved the itinerary. Enjoy the rest of your cruise.

Currently on cruise and enjoying an unusual itinerary.

I am a fan of Oceania and cruised with them a number of times and have another booked for September this year. We are traveling with friends with a similar history of cruising.

As Australians we pay top dollar for an Oceania cruise as the exchange rate, no air and limited TA benefits all go against our pricing.

We have reached the point where it is marginal to cruise when comparing the above and value received.

The service level has certainly diminished particularly in the dining areas.

Orders have been wrong, we have waited an inordinate time to be served and then wait for the food.

Side orders at breakfast have been served after the main meal has been eaten (if we waited the omelettes would be cold).

The number of staff in the GDR (breakfast) is down and they are running around frazzled and at times confused.

I am not sure of the reason.

When staff take your order some of them are looking at the next table and not focused on your order so I am not surprised some orders are wrong

The general engagement is lacking and no I am not looking for a "best friend" approach from them.

This is our view and therefore is fact in our eyes. I know many factors of a cruise are subjective and the experience is still good, but it used to be great.

Any opinions:)

It might not just be you. We were in line at Victoria Peak tram a few days ago. The couple in front of us had just come off Nautica. I could really sense they were less than thrilled with the cruise they had just completed, which probably was the one prior to yours.

If you don't say something nothing will change. The squeaky wheel gets oiled. They can't fix what they don't know about. It is so much better to say something aboard than to come on sites like this and complain. We have had excelent experiences by saying or writing something to the Hotel Director, Food and Beverage Manager or Maitre 'D

If you don't say something nothing will change. The squeaky wheel gets oiled. They can't fix what they don't know about. It is so much better to say something aboard than to come on sites like this and complain. We have had excelent experiences by saying or writing something to the Hotel Director, Food and Beverage Manager or Maitre 'D

We did comment to the right people and they agreed they had some early teething problems, so not just my opinion or imagination.

Since then our service has gone up a notch and we are happy:):):)

We did comment to the right people and they agreed they had some early teething problems, so not just my opinion or imagination.

Since then our service has gone up a notch and we are happy:):):)

I am glad your squeaky wheel got oiled :D.

Enjoy the rest of your cruise - hopefully trouble free.

We were on this cruise and had none of the issues described by the OP. I guess it's just luck of the draw that we always got the good section of the GDR. Found the service to be consistently good, friendly, accurate and not too slow. In fact in one section we felt we were being rushed out, the food came so fast.

Individual experience varies, right?

We were on this cruise and had none of the issues described by the OP. I guess it's just luck of the draw that we always got the good section of the GDR. Found the service to be consistently good, friendly, accurate and not too slow. In fact in one section we felt we were being rushed out, the food came so fast.

Individual experience varies, right?

I think you are right. We had varying degrees of service depending on the area we sat. I think some of the new staff get pushed back a bit by the more experienced hands who know how it works.

The following example is fact. I ordered a signature veal dish in Polo Grill and when it arrived the plate was cold and so was the meat.

I called the waiter over who mumbled some form of comment and replaced it much later after fellow diners had finished. Not opinion, fact! Even some reasonable attempt at apology would have been acceptable. I am not aggressive and kindly pointed out the issue and could not believe the lack of any acknowledgment.

Now I will wait for the posts saying "that is your opinion", "we had no problem" etc. etc.

I am happy you have never had a problem and until this cruise nor had I. (or is that another opinion?).

Wally, that sounds like fact to me. It's not something I have ever myself encountered on O but it's clear from various posts that sometimes it does. It's bad enough that your food arrived cold, but even worse that when your dinner finally arrived everyone else had finished. As for no apology ... no excuse for that either!