Refrigeration of extra eye drops while doing a world cruise?

janmcn

My husband and I both take eye drops for Glaucoma. The 1-month bottle does not need refrigeration but the "extra" (3) months do need to be kept under refrigeration. Without the expense (and space!) renting a refrigerator for the cruise, is there any other way? (Using ice won't work...keeps them too cold.)

My husband and I both take eye drops for Glaucoma. The 1-month bottle does not need refrigeration but the "extra" (3) months do need to be kept under refrigeration. Without the expense (and space!) renting a refrigerator for the cruise, is there any other way? (Using ice won't work...keeps them too cold.)

The Viking ships all have refrigerators in their cabins except the V cabins . You may have to move the candy bars and soda out of the way but it should serve the need. If you are in a V cabin then I would talk with one of the world cruise ambassadors .

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you all for suggestions...at this point I'll look into "special requests" for getting them taken care of. In "steerage" for the WC,we don't have even the "coolers" like on most HAL ships. Good suggestions from all of you.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm an eye doctor. I assume you're talking about latanoprost or Xalatan drops. Despite what you've been told, the unopened drop bottles don't have to stay refrigerated as long as you keep them at a reasonable room temperature. The FDA issued a letter several years ago about this but for some reason, few pharmacies let the patients know about this.

I'm an eye doctor. I assume you're talking about latanoprost or Xalatan drops. Despite what you've been told, the unopened drop bottles don't have to stay refrigerated as long as you keep them at a reasonable room temperature. The FDA issued a letter several years ago about this but for some reason, few pharmacies let the patients know about this.

This is good to know. Thanks bay guy

Don

I use both the medications mentioned, so have faced this issue. I found that our (Australian) glaucoma association sell pouches to store these drops. Simple to use, you soak an inner pouch in water, the gel inside expands, place the bottle inside this pouch and then into outer pouch. This is effective for 72 hours. Then it is just a matter of resoaking the inner pouch. Very handy for travelling when temperatures cannot be consistent too.