round the world

racerbob1

Hi,Has anybody out there taken a round the world cruise,I am thinking about it and was wondering what cruise line i should take

Depends on what's important to you, e.g., what are your food, service and accommodations preferences; itinerary must -haves; budget; etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi, & welcome to Cruise Critic,

Have you cruised before?

A world cruise isn't the best introduction.

Cruising is wonderful. To me. And to everyone on this forum.

But it doesn't suit everyone, and Day 2 of a 75 day cruise isn't a good time to realise that cruising isn't for you.:eek:

If you're in the US perhaps your best bet for a first time is a 5 to 8 day port-intensive Caribbean cruise. Lots of places well worth exploring for a day but few for longer, and a floating resort-hotel is the ideal way to get around.

If you're in Europe, perhaps a 7 to 12 day Baltic cruise. Again, a difficult place to get around by land or air & ideal by ship.

Or in Aus, mebbe a 7-day cruise to somewhere like New Caledonia & Vanuatu - same comments as the Caribbean.

Or - world cruises are sold in legs (segments) so mebbe book one or two legs of a world cruise - a big big proportion of folk on a world cruise are only on it for a leg or two. You'll get a taster of a proper world cruise without such a heavy commitment. And you can spend a few days at your embarkation & disembarkation ports - perhaps the biggest disadvantage of cruising is the one day port-of-call visit to cities that are worth a week.

A 2 / 3 night taster cruise?

Perhaps not - they tend to be party cruises, very untypical of world cruises.

BTW a world cruise has other disadvantages

- too many places & memories that run into each-other

- too long away from home, family, friends, especially if anything serious happening back home curtails your cruise

- lots of visas, currencies, inoculations to sort

- insurance limitations on your empty home

- and anything else that might curtail a long & expensive vacation.

Just MHO as always

JB :)

I have taken eight World Cruises.

My suggestions:

Look at all of the World Cruises that are offered. These day 10 or more lines offer them.

Figure out what is in your budget and what is not. The prices vary considerably.

Then look at the specific year you are interested in and look at the itineraries to see what interests you.

Itineraries vary and even the same line changes them up. The length varies. The embarkation and

disembarkation port varies.

Then read about the cruise lines and just as importantly the sip as the ship could be your home for 90 to 100+

days.

Yes, there is a World Cruise Board which you can post on or just read threads.

Find a good TA who is seasoned and has placed clients on World Cruises.

And whatever you do I would try out the ship for a cruise to be sure you will be happy.

Most people including myself who have taken a world cruise think of it as one of the most unique cruising experiences.

You see so much in a short time and you share with with some of the people (passengers who are on the entire time

as well as crew) and to me it is one of those life changing events.

Keith

Hi racerbob1, and welcome to Cruise Critic. :)

Have you cruised before?

Have you looked at a world map and determined what parts of the world you most want to see?

We have not been on a world cruise but we have traveled the world.

We are booked on a segment of Cunard's Queen Elizabeth in January 3-19, 2019. We have been to Africa and want to go back, so booking that segment was perfect for us.

As Keith1010 said determining if you really like being on a cruise ship for an extended period of time is the big one.

If you decide you really want to do this check with several cruise lines because the itineraries will vary.

Please come back to the thread after you have had a chance to look around. We would love to hear what you decide.

If you like sea days, having to unpack only once, being on vacation for months at a time with food and entertainment, and seeing the world as well, a world cruise is for you. I have done one and leave on my second in 4 weeks.

If you want to get a feel for a world cruise I would suggest you read some of the blogs written by world cruisers. You can find old ones but since it is close to the start of most of the 2018 world voyages, I would read these as they are posted. I know of at least 4 blogs that will cover Holland America, Princess and Crystal and I am sure there will be more. I have started a thread on the World Cruising Forum and, hopefully, those writing a blog will post the addresses. Here is a link.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=54716773#post54716773

Hi, & welcome to Cruise Critic,

Have you cruised before?

A world cruise isn't the best introduction.

Cruising is wonderful. To me. And to everyone on this forum.

But it doesn't suit everyone, and Day 2 of a 75 day cruise isn't a good time to realise that cruising isn't for you.:eek:

If you're in the US perhaps your best bet for a first time is a 5 to 8 day port-intensive Caribbean cruise. Lots of places well worth exploring for a day but few for longer, and a floating resort-hotel is the ideal way to get around.

If you're in Europe, perhaps a 7 to 12 day Baltic cruise. Again, a difficult place to get around by land or air & ideal by ship.

Or in Aus, mebbe a 7-day cruise to somewhere like New Caledonia & Vanuatu - same comments as the Caribbean.

Or - world cruises are sold in legs (segments) so mebbe book one or two legs of a world cruise - a big big proportion of folk on a world cruise are only on it for a leg or two. You'll get a taster of a proper world cruise without such a heavy commitment. And you can spend a few days at your embarkation & disembarkation ports - perhaps the biggest disadvantage of cruising is the one day port-of-call visit to cities that are worth a week.

A 2 / 3 night taster cruise?

Perhaps not - they tend to be party cruises, very untypical of world cruises.

BTW a world cruise has other disadvantages

- too many places & memories that run into each-other

- too long away from home, family, friends, especially if anything serious happening back home curtails your cruise

- lots of visas, currencies, inoculations to sort

- insurance limitations on your empty home

- and anything else that might curtail a long & expensive vacation.

Just MHO as always

JB :)

thanks for all the info,I used to work on cruise ships were the route lasted for 2 months,but i agree a lot can happen on the longer cruises

If you like sea days, having to unpack only once, being on vacation for months at a time with food and entertainment, and seeing the world as well, a world cruise is for you. I have done one and leave on my second in 4 weeks.

If you want to get a feel for a world cruise I would suggest you read some of the blogs written by world cruisers. You can find old ones but since it is close to the start of most of the 2018 world voyages, I would read these as they are posted. I know of at least 4 blogs that will cover Holland America, Princess and Crystal and I am sure there will be more. I have started a thread on the World Cruising Forum and, hopefully, those writing a blog will post the addresses. Here is a link.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=54716773#post54716773

thanks for all the info