HAL with young kids, a couple questions

lovesthewater

18 days til our cruise, guess I better get planning! I have a couple questions I haven't been able to find the answers for that I'm hoping experienced HAL cruisers can help with. We'll be on the Zuiderdam over New Years with our 2 childrens ages 5 & 6.

- My daughter will turn 5 the first full day of cruising. I've heard you can order a birthday cake to be served in the MDR, but I'm honestly not sure we'll go to the MDR very much (or even at all). Has anyone ever arranged for a cake to be delivered someplace else? For example, I'm thinking maybe of a small informal gathering during the afternoon with a couple other kids we know will be on board.

- I'm trying to figure out what to pack activity wise. I know about the kids club, but I'm wondering about board games, etc. available say, in the explorations cafe. Anyone know if it's stocked with any family friend games/puzzles, etc., or other good places for families to hang out when we don't want to be in the pool.

- Speaking of pools, anyone know how deeps the pools are? My kids are watersafe and reasonable swimmers, but I'm trying to figure out if I need to pack floaties for my own peace of mind/relaxation.

Thanks!

My 8 year old has had more birthdays on HAL ships than on land:) You're daughter will have an awesome birthday!

As for the cake, you can alert your travel agent to make this request and/or speak to the head waiter early in the cruise to arrange this for the MDR. For us, we prefer eating in the MDR with kids more than any other venue. The crew will sing their Indonesian version of happy birthday, which is very fun. Once we were staying in a Neptune Suite on his birthday and the concierges in the Neptune Lounge arrange everything for a small party in our suite with other friends from Club HAL- cake, kid friendly appetizers and balloons! Even if you aren't in a suite, you will likely end up with balloons on your door from your cabin steward.

Be sure to tell the Club HAL staff about her birthday and they will likely make a sign or something. Also, I would recommend you bring a birthday hat or shirt for her to wear so others can help her celebrate.

Their are plenty of board games in the library and sometimes Club HAL will also let you "check out" board games and kid books. There are often puzzles in the library, but they tend to be at least 1000 pieces. Often one is usually started in the library and others just add to it and leave it for others to work on. Another fun thing to look for that your girls might enjoy is afternoon tea. Often once a cruise there is a Cupcake Tea that even my boys enjoy, As for other things to bring, sand toys are always a hit on beach days. We also have a tradition of blowing bubbles during sail away.

I don't know exactly how deep the pools are, but the deep end is over my head. We have a policy in our family that mom or dad has to be sitting at the pool edge if either kid is in the pool. Also, FYI- the Aft pool is adults only.

Have a great cruise!

I agree with the previous poster, kids club has lots of games and if you wanted to sign out they have allowed.

My kids have been in the 3-6 year old (and older) range the last couple years and we ALWAYS pack a floatie. It gives so much more independence in the water as it will be over their heads even in the shallow end. HAL does not have life jackets for kids like other cruise lines so if you don't have your own you are out of luck - they don't even sell in the gift shop! I know one couple that hunted for them at the first couple of ports after realizing they needed them. One more thing, the floatie comes in handy at beach stops!

We typically hang out at the Lido Pool, and sometimes the Sports Deck as there are some balls up there. My oldest love club hal and the youngers have mixed feelings about it - however now the youngest is in kindergarten I think his opinions would change!

Have a blast on the New Year's Cruise - and be sure to take the kids to party of the New Year's Party!

We sailed HAL last summer in Alaska with our entire family: Gram and Grandpa, adult kids and Spouses, and 8 grandchildren, ages 12, 11, 9, 9, 5, 4, 4, and 2. The 12 year old and the 5 year old loved Club Hal, and the others formed their own little club of cousins. They live in different states and don,t see each other often, so it was great.

We found eating in the main dining room where we had seats and food was brought to us much easier than buffet style, fighting for seats, etc. so we ate nearly every meal there, even breakfast. We had 2 tables of 8 next to each other at dinner, and we mixed and matched. Our wonderful waiters knew all the kids names and which desserts they would like and who wanted milk vs. water to drink. They were great!

But one night the tables ended up with my husband (Grandpa!) the only adult with the older grandkids. Things went very well, kids finished dessert early and our waiter asked if they would like seconds on dessert....and the “Responsible Adult” at the table said “sure!” I think we’ll be hearing that story when they are all adults with little ones of their own!

The best part of the trip will always be the memory of Glacier Bay...10 adults outside on the balcony (we splurged on the aft wrap for this trip) and 7 grandkids, having admired the Glacier, tucked up in Gram’s bed watching the movie “Frozen.” Good memories and a wonderful trip.

Barbara M. In NH