Odyssey, is my expectation already too high?

Mrs Excited

Hello everyone, we are off on the Odyssey in January, we last sailed on Sojourn, and prior to that Odyssey.Seabourn advertises "ultra luxury" that of course is subjective, and all down to what is one's persons view and expectations are, and what they are not.

So is the Odyssey up to "scratch"? In my opinion last time we sailed it was simply fabulous, we are not difficult or demanding passengers, and realise how very fortunate we are in the first place being able to cruise with Seabourn. The general view seems to be, not what it was as couple of years ago, due to the new ships, bla bla bla perhaps I should adjust my expectations and lower my excitement levels, to avoid being disapointed. what do you think?

I think your question is impossible to answer. It's not your expectations that need adjustment imo, it's your attitude. If you board with the attitude that you will have a good time and Seabourn will do all it can to make your cruise special then that's what will happen. If you board with high (and sometimes unrealistic) expectations, both your own and those of other poster on these boards, you are bound to be disappointed. But you loved your last cruise on the Odyssey so why not expect to love this one too?

Agree. If you had a great trip last time there's no reason to suppose you won't enjoy your next. There are so many factors which help make or break a cruise, many of which are beyond our control but a "glass half full" attitude certainly helps. As you so rightly say, aren't we incredibly lucky to be able to see the world from a beautiful Seabourn ship in the first place.

Agree. If you had a great trip last time there's no reason to suppose you won't enjoy your next. There are so many factors which help make or break a cruise, many of which are beyond our control but a "glass half full" attitude certainly helps. As you so rightly say, aren't we incredibly lucky to be able to see the world from a beautiful Seabourn ship in the first place.

I am very much a "glass half full" type of person, and agree there factors beyond our control, however there are many moaning posts on here ( maybe that's just what they are) about the fact that Odyssey's service has slipped a little. That was just my question. I do not need water delivered at 2am at a particular temperature, or any other such demanding nonsense.

I am very much a "glass half full" type of person, and agree there factors beyond our control, however there are many moaning posts on here ( maybe that's just what they are) about the fact that Odyssey's service has slipped a little. That was just my question. I do not need water delivered at 2am at a particular temperature, or any other such demanding nonsense.

In the seven or eight years I have been on this message board, there have been moaning posts on just about everything. I wouldn't let that dampen your enthusiasm or expectations.

In the seven or eight years I have been on this message board, there have been moaning posts on just about everything. I wouldn't let that dampen your enthusiasm or expectations.

Also we have seen lots of insecure posters that look for problems before they have them especially after reading through the posts.

Cruise critic is such a small portion of guests that sail on cruise ships and most sailors have never even heard of Cruise Critic.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have not sailed on the Odyssey yet, but sailed on the Encore last September. Many of the posts I read here were negative about the Encore. I was a bit concerned, to say the least. All that melted away once we got onboard. It was a wonderful cruise on a great ship. Don't put much stock in negative comments, or if you must, zero in on what exactly the complaint was. Often, your circumstances will not be the same and you will see things differently. Have a wonderful time on your cruise. I know it is going to be great.

We took our first cruise with Seabourn on the Odyssey in November and it was wonderful. I too read so many negative comments before we sailed and I was initially concerned. I received some common sense advice from positive contributors to this site, exactly as you have done and they were so right!

As the previous replies have commented you have a responsibility also to make it work: We found the crew to be

so keen to make us enjoy the very best experience, and that is what we had. We enjoyed everything, the food and wine was excellent, the service second to none.

We are looking forward to our next cruise with the Odyssey in 2018.

Have a wonderful time and continue with your excited anticipation!

Looking forward to a great experience and hope to meet you and Mr Excitement on our January Odyssey cruise. As a long time cruiser and CC follower, I have come to the conclusion that we all embark with different expectations.

My expectation is that we will have a fabulous experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I sailed on the Odyssey this past summer, and everything was fine. I just got off the Sojourn earlier this month, and it was even better - one of my best cruises on Seabourn ever, over the last 9+ years.

Interestingly, a couple with whom we've sailed on Seabourn several times in the past few years, and who in fact had surprised us by their presence on this most recent Sojourn journey, just got on the Odyssey last week (they had a 3-day break in between their Sojourn and then their Odyssey journeys) reported that the difference between the Sojourn and the Odyssey is stark. They had also found the Sojourn cruise outstanding but are not pleased at all on the Odyssey at the moment.

I, too, have always had a good time despite the moaning on this board. However, I am slightly troubled by my friends' assessment of the Odyssey. They are not high maintenance guests, and I trust their opinions. Hopefully they are enjoying themselves more now, after their initial poor impression. (I haven't heard from them in the past few days - probably due to poor wifi signal/speed.)

Our recent Odyssey cruise(s) weren't the best. We know that Seabourn can and does do much better. It's hard to identify a specific reason other than a lot of newbie crew who were either lacking experience, knowledge or adequate supervision. Many of them joined the ship for the Lisbon-Miami

crossing while their more experienced colleagues were transferred either to the Encore or the new Ovation. We always enjoy chatting with the crew and while none of them made any indiscreet comments, we could tell that morale wasn't good and they weren't happy. It makes a huge difference to the service and general atmosphere. Now, almost 6 weeks later, I'm sure they will have got into their stride and things have improved. I hope so.

This mirrors what happened before the launch of Encore - will they never learn? It should be a GRADUAL changeover of staff. Odyssey was great in the early autumn, before the new staff came on board, but there have been several mentions of a slip in standards since then, and not just by moaners. I feel sure that within a month or two things will be back up to speed, but that is no consolation to those on board in the meantime. If you are included in this number, please email Head Office about it, and also put comments in your post cruise questionnaire.

Sorry to burst the ‘Bon homie’ but things have not improved. Just off of Odyssey a few weeks ago. Staff morale was not great. Overworked and under staffed. The staff did a fantastic job but the cracks showed. This was not a six star cruise experience. No desert wine for a good part, and Champagne being restricted. I have deleted more than a few posts this week because I love Seabourn and am not by nature a negative person. I don’t believe the company is being fair to this ship. On the up side the beach day was exceptional.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I don’t believe the company is being fair to this ship.

Same cruise.....concur. So many passengers are happy to just have a good/fun time. It was a good time, but many noticeable flaws. Great hotel manager, but not enough properly equipped staff. It is upsetting to see crew on the third or fourth contract that should have been dismissed before the first was completed.

Side note....Katy in Observation Lounge. A good performer booked into the wrong venue.

We disembarked Odyssey last Tuesday and can honestly say that this was one of the best cruises we have ever had on Seabourn.

The chef, Tom Goetter, was excellent and The Chef's Dinner was our best ever. He also ensured that the Dining Room was open for lunch every day even when in port. There were always about 40 people taking advantage of this! The Galley Market was back and enjoyed by most.

The Hostess in the Dining Room Emel was great, always smiling and always anxious to accommodate seating requests. Never a problem getting a nice table for 2.

There weren't many familiar faces but the new crew are very keen and anxious to please and we encountered no issues.

Sky Bar with Julien and Paul ran as it always does. Aperol Spritz was perfect.

Finally there was unlimited champagne and caviar for those who wished to partake.

Just our opinion but having sailed over 300 days I think we are able to make a sound judgement of the current situation.

Fear not you will have a great time.

We disembarked Odyssey last Tuesday and can honestly say that this was one of the best cruises we have ever had on Seabourn.

The chef, Tom Goetter, was excellent and The Chef's Dinner was our best ever. He also ensured that the Dining Room was open for lunch every day even when in port. There were always about 40 people taking advantage of this! The Galley Market was back and enjoyed by most.

The Hostess in the Dining Room Emel was great, always smiling and always anxious to accommodate seating requests. Never a problem getting a nice table for 2.

There weren't many familiar faces but the new crew are very keen and anxious to please and we encountered no issues.

Sky Bar with Julien and Paul ran as it always does. Aperol Spritz was perfect.

Finally there was unlimited champagne and caviar for those who wished to partake.

Just our opinion but having sailed over 300 days I think we are able to make a sound judgement of the current situation.

Fear not you will have a great time.

The above reflects our experience practically word for word and we are Seabourn Newbies.

We sailed on the Odyssey in September and the overall experience was great! No cruise is perfect and each has its on “personality” in part based upon the passengers.

If you look for flaws or dwell on minor issues you will find them on any cruise or cruise line. Enjoy your cruise!!

I have to say I did start "twitching" at the thought of a champagne restriction.......but now I read all is well on that front.

Thank you to everyone, my "holiday hat" in now firmly on now, packing has commenced, yes, yes, I know a bit early.

Now awaiting suite allocation, with baited breath!!!!

Glad to hear Tom and Emel are still on board. I agree, Tom's Chef's dinner was marvellous. I wonder if George, from Portugal and late of Silversea, is still on board, as a maitre'd? He is a lovely person. Odyssey was indeed great until October; it was after a big change of personnel on the staff that things got more problematic, hopefully temporarily.

Hello everyone, we are off on the Odyssey in January, we last sailed on Sojourn, and prior to that Odyssey.Seabourn advertises "ultra luxury" that of course is subjective, and all down to what is one's persons view and expectations are, and what they are not.

So is the Odyssey up to "scratch"? In my opinion last time we sailed it was simply fabulous, we are not difficult or demanding passengers, and realise how very fortunate we are in the first place being able to cruise with Seabourn. The general view seems to be, not what it was as couple of years ago, due to the new ships, bla bla bla perhaps I should adjust my expectations and lower my excitement levels, to avoid being disapointed. what do you think?

Hello Mrs. Excited!

As you know, I'll be joining you and Nashna on the Jan 6 Odyssey Caribbean cruise. I've now been reading the recent reviews on the ship and am a bit concerned, as you are. I was on the Odyssey in 2012 and it was wonderful! Reading about sewer stench smell in some cabins has me worried... The ship is full; big problem. Hope we three are spared. Here's hoping for another wonderful cruise!!

I believe we are all anxiously awaiting our stateroom assignments. Have you ladies received your documents and stateroom assignments?

We are on the December 27 Odyssey sailing and don't have stateroom assignments yet. In my experience, they'll come anywhere between 3-14 days prior to departure.

If you've finished your online check-in, your documents should be ready. Mine always come via my travel agent, so if you booked via one you might check with them. We typically have received ours about 4-6 weeks out.