Ideas for driving highway 30 loop in West Maui

niklynn1

We have rented a convertible for our first day in Maui, next week on Pride of America. We would like to drive along the highway 30 loop from the cruise port. From what I have read, it appears we should journey clockwise up through Lahaina and Kapalua?

I am aware that there is a section of dangerous road to the north. So, I need some input from those who have made this loop. How far up should be go before we turn around and go back? Exactly where does the road turn into the part that you are not supposed to venture on with a rental car? Can we make it to the Nakalela Blowhole?

And finally, Id like to have a plan of some places to stop along the way. Can you tell me the best scenic views, places to stop for coffee and food? Interesting sites?

We are doing the Haleakala sunrise bike tour and will be picked up from the ship at 3am later that night/morning, so we want to be back to the ship around dinner time. Planning to start as early as we can get the car.

Thanks for your help!

I strongly recommend that you take Maui Revealed with you. It's an outstanding guide book and will clearly identify all of the stops to take. The ride is wonderful. Although the road is narrow at times, it's a lot safer than it was years ago when it wasn't even paved! Now that was scary driving! Some of my favorite stops are Dragon's Teeth at Makahia Point along the golf course in Kapalua; Nakalele Blowhole; and Olivine Pools which has the clearest water I've ever been in. These and other landmarks are fully described in the book.

If you haven't done so already, check Trip Advisor reviews in regards to the highway 340 portion of the road and some of the places around there. How far you go and what you do depends on your comfort level about what can be possibly dangerous situations.

Yes I've seen the info about the dangerous, unpaved road, and also know the rental car is not supposed to go on the unpaved part. So my question is where exactly does this begin? Can we get to Olivine Pools and Nakalala Blowhole, or is that in the unpaved part?

I’ve driven the West Maui Mountains loop many times. The road is paved the whole way. Clockwise is the best way to go because the section coming into Kahakuloa Beach is very narrow and essentially only one lane hanging on the edge of the mountain. By going clockwise, if you have to pull over to let someone go by, you’re on the mountain side of the road and not in any danger of falling off the cliff. Once you get to Julia’s Banana Bread, you’re through the worst of it. Stop and get some banana bread to celebrate! Take your time and enjoy the beautiful views. The reason the rental car companies don’t want you there is it’s a pain to get a tow truck up the narrow road to get their car back if you break down. That is unlikely these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

One thing that isn't always mentioned but should be is that the driver rather loses out on the journey, as he/she has to pay constant attention to the road. We won't say anything more than that there are more easily accessible, equally awesome places to visit on Maui where everyone can relax and enjoy the surroundings.

One thing that isn't always mentioned but should be is that the driver rather loses out on the journey, as he/she has to pay constant attention to the road. We won't say anything more than that there are more easily accessible, equally awesome places to visit on Maui where everyone can relax and enjoy the surroundings.

Where are some of the alternate drives that you would recommend?

Where are some of the alternate drives that you would recommend?

The Hawaii Division of Parks just announced that Iao Valley will reopen ahead of schedule tomorrow instead of mid-December or so, which is great timing for you in case you are interested in it. Perhaps not that exciting, but It may/may not remain open depending upon the weather, and we offer the news only because it may not be an opportunity every visitor gets.

‘Iao Valley State Monument will reopen ahead of schedule beginning WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 22, 2017 following the completion of the second phase of slope stabilization to the areas in the park that were damaged by a massive flood event in September 2016. We appreciate the public's patience during the closure.

• 2 months later...

I need some input from those who have made this loop. How far up should be go before we turn around and go back? Exactly where does the road turn into the part that you are not supposed to venture on with a rental car?

Thanks for your help!

In about 1973, I decided to drive down this road as far as I dared, then turn around. Well . . . there was no place to turn around. I had to keep going, much against my better judgement. When I eventually did come to a place where I might have been able to turn around, I was more than 1/2 way around. I just went ahead and finished the circuit. I wouldn't do it again. (I'm much older, now.)

Edited by HappyCruiserettu
Incomplete.

A narrow road is only part of the story. It is the sheer cliff alongside highway 340's narrow road that is the real problem.

I think that is why pwake suggested going clockwise so you are driving on the mountain side of the highway for that short distance.

A narrow road is only part of the story. It is the sheer cliff alongside highway 340's narrow road that is the real problem.

I think that is why pwake suggested going clockwise so you are driving on the mountain side of the highway for that short distance.

The photos on this webpage graphically shows why the section of road near Kahakuloa is not only harrowing but the Maui Now article shows it can even be fatal...even for a local who’s familiar with the road. Kahekili Highway does not accurately describe the road’s condition.

http://www.hawaiihighways.com/photos-Kahekili-Hwy.htm

http://mauinow.com/2016/01/20/vehicle-found-200-feet-below-kahekili-highway/

A search for “Kahekili Highway video” will show links to numerous videos about this drive.

I haven’t recently checked the status of construction closures that were estimated to continue until February to stabilize a portion of the road. Although that won’t improve the narrow 1 lane sections of the road so those photos are still accurate.

Edited by Astro Flyer

• 1 month later...
Would one compare this road to ones in the Azores islands or Ireland?

Have been on a bus tour in the Azores & most of Kahekili Hwy was similar to what I saw in the Azores.

However the couple of miles near Kahakuloa are very narrow & dangerous as shown in the link to photos in my previous post. Late last month heavy rainfall washed out part the riverbed & some structures. So if rain is in the forecast that’s another reason to avoid this route...flash floods are very hazardous.

Here’s a link to a video but that section of the road has killed both visitors & locals as their cars tumbled down the hillside from the road.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Would one compare this road to ones in the Azores islands or Ireland?

No matter what it may or may not compare to, the bottom line is it is dangerous and there are other safer, equally scenic roads to travel on Maui. You would do well to heed what Astro Flyer says. No one here gets any payback for what we write - other than knowing we have tried to steer people away from possible danger and towards a problem-free vacation.