The Dream? Or the Nightmare? (or why I may give up cruising?)

SailorJack

Jack, while I would never wish a Splendor type nightmare on anyone, I could not help imagining your review had you been on that unfortunate cruise. :p

Our minds run alike.:) I was also wondering how I would have handled a review of that cruise. In almost any situation one can find the humorous things to write about, but the fact remains that many of the passengers were in total misery. It would have taken a delicate balancing act. In the end, I probably would not have written a review out of respect to those who suffered. But it would have been tempting.:D

I hope others who were onboard do write a review. It will be most interesting to hear the take from those who were actually on board.

It would have taken a delicate balancing act. In the end, I probably would not have written a review out of respect to those who suffered. But it would have been tempting.:D

I hear you. But if I possessed your writing skills, I would write it all down immediately and decide what to do with it later.

DH and I spent Remembrance day reading letters that his uncle sent home to his parents during WW2. We have an entire box of his letters, describing the hut they lived in, the food, the people he met and the upbeat attitude of the soldiers.

After 2 years of training, Uncle L was very proud when he completed his first mission. As flight navigator, his plane arrived at their target 1.5 minutes early. What do you do when you arrive early for a bombing? He never told us.

On March 27, 1945, Uncle L told us that the mood at their base was that of a holiday camp. All except for one other navigator who was a real worry wart. That was the last letter he wrote. He was shot down by friendly fire shortly before the end of the war and also shortly before completing the 36 missions they were required to complete before returning home to Canada.

To make a long story short (at last), your words will one day be a precious treasure to your children and grandchildren. A very special gift.

• 3 months later...
I saw this string on the "Dawn Limping into Port" string and couldn't help but wonder how you would have reviewed the Dawn cruise.:D

Unless there is serious injury - or worse - I like to find the humor in things that happen at sea. I really do believe in the motto "The worst day at sea is better than the best day at work." In this review (the Dream) we had fire, collision at sea, complete loss of power in the South Atlantic, several missed ports, and we even ran out of lemons for tea! Yet it turned out to be one of the best cruises we have been on.

If one refuses to get stressed when unfortunte things happen then one can handle just about anything. To answer your question, however, not being on the Dawn I really don't know how I would have handled a review - but there certainly appears to be enough material to have had some fun with it.:)

Jack

Unless there is serious injury - or worse - I like to find the humor in things that happen at sea. I really do believe in the motto "The worst day at sea is better than the best day at work." In this review (the Dream) we had fire, collision at sea, complete loss of power in the South Atlantic, several missed ports, and we even ran out of lemons for tea! Yet it turned out to be one of the best cruises we have been on.

If one refuses to get stressed when unfortunte things happen then one can handle just about anything. To answer your question, however, not being on the Dawn I really don't know how I would have handled a review - but there certainly appears to be enough material to have had some fun with it.:)

Jack

You're my hero, Jack.

Jack

THIS x 1000

In fact, if nothing goes wrong, it's much tougher to write a funny review.

Edited by JohnGaltny

THIS x 1000

In fact, if nothing goes wrong, it's much tougher to write a funny review.

Absolutely correct. If the day was perfect there would be nothing to write about - at least nothing humorus anyway.:)

Ahoy! You are so right - if a cruise is dull/boring, then what's to talk about? Sun....sea....booze . . .sleep . . .burb. The End.

LOL... although there is nothing wrong with sun, sea,etc.:D

Not only was your post informative...it was really well written...you should submit it toPorthole Magazine.

Thanks, Joseph

Had not heard of Porthole Magazine before your post..thanks for the tip!

I liked his reviews so much I compiled all I could find into a collection to read on my Nook.

If you have an ereader that supports epub format ( like the Nook ), here is a link to SailorJack's reviews.

http://www.triplelake.net/darry/sailorjack.epub

Hope you enjoy. And thanks again to SailorJack for the reviews.

Edited by groo

I liked his reviews so much I compiled all I could find into a collection to read on my Nook.

If you have an ereader that supports epub format ( like the Nook ), here is a link to SailorJack's reviews.

www.triplelake.net/darry/sailorjack.epub

Hope you enjoy. And thanks again to SailorJack for the reviews.

Thanks, groo. I have mentioned your compendium on some of the other boards. Did you get my last one a couple of weeks ago for the Crown?

Absolutely correct. If the day was perfect there would be nothing to write about - at least nothing humorus anyway.:)

LOL... although there is nothing wrong with sun, sea,etc.:D

oops...I meant to say Burp!

And I do think that cruising heightens your sense of humor!

The thread lasted longer than the ship. LOL

I also did the Dream and she was a true nightmare and the Crown wasn't much better.

Of course I had a great time on both, but I too always pack my sense of humor.

The best part, was it set the standard so high for bad, that I'm immune to problems.

I just wish the would offer South America routes again.

The thread lasted longer than the ship. LOL

I also did the Dream and she was a true nightmare and the Crown wasn't much better.

Of course I had a great time on both, but I too always pack my sense of humor.

The best part, was it set the standard so high for bad, that I'm immune to problems.

I just wish the would offer South America routes again.

Actually, the Dream is still around - last seen sailing in circles round Greece.:D

oops...I meant to say Burp!

And I do think that cruising heightens your sense of humor!

I sort of figured out that you wern't refering to the suburbs.:D

• 10 months later...

Oops - just realized this was written in 2007 thus explains why I could not find this itinerary. I was not kidding when I said I would love to take this cruise!

I did not find any South American cruises listed - the closest being Panama Canal. Anyone know if they are gone permanently?

Oops - just realized this was written in 2007 thus explains why I could not find this itinerary. I was not kidding when I said I would love to take this cruise!

I did not find any South American cruises listed - the closest being Panama Canal. Anyone know if they are gone permanently?

Gone for the time being on NCL, but there are other lines going to South America - I believe Azamara and maybe Royal?

It really is a great itinerary. We are thinking about doing it again in order to catch the ports we missed because of our collision. Both HAL and Princess are doing the Buenos Aires to Santiago run this year. Princess is using the Star - which we have been on twice and is a great ship. HAL is using the Veendam, of which we have no experience.

Enjoy!

Jack

Edited by SailorJack

Thanks for bumping this. I first read it when we booked the Dream in 2008 for a Canada/New England cruise, one of the last cruises before the Dream was sold. Your trip report is as hilarious as I remember. Our cruise had no mishaps, by the way, but I guess we had a different captain. :)