Cruising with a 9 month old?

coltsfan1976

Would you do it? We have 2 older kids 9 and 11 that help. Do you have to pay the third person price? If he is crabby I will not take him to the sit down dinner I think of other peoples enjoyment first. We thought it would be easier doing this then sit on a beach in Florida all week.

Just got off a cruise with a 7month old. We also took her older sister on her first cruise when she was 11 months. There will be a lot of people on here who tell you not to do it. I'll admit, it can be a challenge at times. But it's totally worth it. As for price, we had to pay the third person rate. You can request a crib when you book. I say go for it.. Sure they won't have any memories from it, but you will!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by msua2

We took our son for his first cruise at 11 months and it went really well. Easiest cruise we've taken him on. It's actually easier when they're smaller. The family board has a lot of good info on cruising with babies and packing lists.

I have an 8.5 month old.

If you asked me a month ago, I would have totally taken him on a cruise. But right now he is SO desperate to walk (he took his first step 2 weeks ago!!) that I don't think we would have any fun b/c all he wants to do all day is climb and 'surf' all our furniture. He doesn't like to sit or be contained. AndPlusAlso, he's teething and VERY moody b/c of it.

We're waiting until next March, when he's 19 months, so he'll be able to enjoy himself.

On the other hand, my friend's little girl at 10 months old is totally mellow and is very content to sit and play with her toys. If my kid was like that, then I would go.

So I guess it really depends on the disposition of your kid.

Look on the Family Cruising board for more info.

Take more of everything-- diapers, wipes, etc

A baby med kit. Ask you doctor for what to have in it.

Some will ship supplies to their precruise hotel. Confirm they will accept and how to address it.

Or find out where the closest Walmart /Target is and buy all your supplies when you arrive.

Look...a family vacation is what this will be....you take your family, good, bad, or indifferent! You'll do what you have to do...fussy baby gets taken out of public spaces, just like you would anywhere! Cruising will be no different than a land-based vacation, unless you are renting your own house and doing your own cooking....then, baby can "act up" as much as you can stand!

When there are many people in your group- traveling with a baby is much easier. As for the baby- I have sailed with a 6 month old and a 13 month old. 6 months was ideal. 13 months- they are on the go... My friend's 9 month old traveled with us and he was at an awkward age. He was crawling and holding on to things, didn't like the showers instead of tubs, and was not willing to sit for long periods.

I don't agree that a cruise is the same as a land based vacation when you are largely confined to the room for naps and early bed. I think a condo at this age works better. You can let said child explore and fuss much more easily than in a small cabin. Diapers can get ripe in there.

In the end- if the kids are happy, parents are happy. Just be prepared to find areas on the ship for the baby to explore. The older kids can babysit in the cabin at night for a little while too. Just set reasonable expectations.

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

My youngest was 10 months old when she went on her first cruise and we had a great time. I have two older children, who were 9 and 12 at that time, and a cruise was the very best way to have something available that everyone could enjoy. The older kids had all the on board activities and kids clubs and that gave us time to have fun with our youngest too. We did great excursions (she was even at Stingray City!) and made wonderful family memories.

Personally, I don't think cruising with a young one is any tougher than regular life with one! And let's be honest, any vacation with a child that young is still "work" to some degree. Our daughter was a good traveler though, tried new foods, adjusted to schedules easily....so perhaps if you're worried that your baby will have issues with this, then I could understand some concern.

I say go for it! :)

• 3 weeks later...

We are taking our 7mo old baby on a cruise next month out of San Juan,PR. We will have plenty of help from grandparents, aunts and uncles. We have an island tour booked for St. Thomas (Godfrey's) and St. Lucia (Cosol's Tour) Any tips on what excursions to go or avoid with a baby?