Constellation...good or bad?

rocketgirl_007

I've booked a 14 day cruise for myself and my friend on April 9, 2011. After reading some reviews on Tripadvisor.ca, I'm a little nervous. It sounds as though the ship, the food and the service have gone downhill. I understand that renovations were done recently, but some of the reviews were post-renovation. Could someone please give me some feedback? Thanks, Rocket.

I was on this ship when it was first introduced and it was great. I just recently sailed her in August through the Baltics after the renovation. I still think it is a great ship. The food and service lived up to my expectations. It was clean, upkept and the food was great. I don't think you will be disappointed.

We were on the Constellation in November last year and really enjoyed the cruise. We have cruised many times on most cruise lines and would say that the Connie is a lovely ship with an excellent crew.. We have booked another 14 nt cruise on her without the slightest reservation. Enjoy

We cruised Constellation back to back prior to the renovations in February and again in Nov-Dec.

The ship looks wonderful but some parts don't seem to work quite as well as the designers intended. The new martini bar looks nice but it does not offer the wonderful seating arrangements of the former location. The new wine bar has not caught on and I think it will not last in its present configuration. The Revelations night club is beautiful.

I was disappointed in the inconsistency of service and food preparation on our latest voyage. Fortunately this is an area that can be fixed with some more quality control. Constellation is our favourite Celebrity ship and this weekend we will move into our Constellation condo for the next two months.

The ship is beautiful, the itinerary can't be beat and you won't go hungry.

Constellation is our favourite Celebrity ship and this weekend we will move into our Constellation condo for the next two months.

Two months - wow - that's wonderful! :)

Enjoy and please let us know the good, the bad and the ugly (if there is any) when you get back.

We were on the Constellation in November and had a fabulous time. The food was good in the MDR and buffet and excellent in the specialty restaurants. Loved Bistro on 5! We thought the staff was excellent and had no complaints. We enjoyed the ship layout and the ship never felt crowded at all. The entertainment was the only thing that was slightly disappointing. However, we really enjoyed the Constellation and would sail on it again in a heartbeat!

We were on the Constellation for a Baltic Cruise in July 2010 and loved it so much we booked for September of 2011 - OK, the itinerary was perfect!

We found the staff on the Connie just fabulous - from the room steward (wonderful!) to the wait staff to the officers - friendly, respectful, courteous. We did run into a few who seemed very inexperienced - mainly in the pool area, but this was just a few weeks after the renovation and perhaps there were a few new commers ont he staff. My DH is a martini drinker and found the only place he could get good service & drinks was the Martini Bar - other bars just didn't know the difference between an olive and a twist!

Food is very subjective. Being from NYC I admit we are food snobs. The MDR was good, Birsto on 5 - OK, Tuscan Grill very good and Ocean Liners almost excellent - only complaint was the staff was just too overbearing at times. Seaside Grill & Cafe was a mix - but mostly good. And the Concierge breakfast menu is fabulous - eating on your balcony a dream!!

Some of the renovations just don't seem to work - the martini bartenders are great but the seating isn't; Crush wasn't working/open when we were on board; the enomatic wine machines weren't working when we tried.

Nothing is perfect but we love the Connie and look forward to our September cruise!!

We were on Constellation this past Nov. and found it to be nicer than ever. I have sailed Constellation many times. Loved the new martini bar even though it is different than it was before. We found the food in the dining room to be excellant and almost up to old standards. On this cruise we traveled alone but we made many new friends on this ship. We would meet some friends in the wine bar before dinner. Some nights you could not get a seat as there was a string quartet that played there and they were very popular. After dinner we would meet friends from Canada at the martini bar. We just loved Boom Boom the bartender there. Specialty restaurants were excellant also. We ate dinner in Tuscan grill 4 times during this cruise.

Pat

We had an excellent (first Celebrity) cruise aboard Constellation. Our favourite cruise line is Princess so it was a very pleasant surprise.

The entertainment was very good too, but then I would say that as my DD is currently working on board in the "Activities" team.

Peter

We were on the Constellation in December 2010. The food was some of the best we have had on any cruise in the MDR anf for breakfast and lunch in the cafe.

On the second day we had rolls with cranberry in them with our lunch in the cafe. Saw our maitre'd and asked her when they would be available again.

Every night after that we hada plate with four on at our table for dinner in the MDR.

Are thinking of going on the Constellation again next year.

We've cruised on Constellation eight times, once each year since her inaugural. We sailed most recently in December and thought Celebrity did a nice job Solsticizing the ship without changing its overall personality. If you're looking for a mega-ship replete with bells and whistles to dazzle the eye and cause sensory overload, Constellation will disappoint. But if you're looking for a beautiful ship that offers a more traditional cruise experience, friendly staff/crew who are eager to please, wonderful service and good food, you've made the right choice. Enjoy your cruise!

We cruised Constellation back to back prior to the renovations in February and again in Nov-Dec.

The ship looks wonderful but some parts don't seem to work quite as well as the designers intended. The new martini bar looks nice but it does not offer the wonderful seating arrangements of the former location. The new wine bar has not caught on and I think it will not last in its present configuration. The Revelations night club is beautiful.

I was disappointed in the inconsistency of service and food preparation on our latest voyage. Fortunately this is an area that can be fixed with some more quality control. Constellation is our favourite Celebrity ship and this weekend we will move into our Constellation condo for the next two months.

What is Constellation condo? Is it B2B2B2...?

Go for it! We were on her in 2007 and she became our favorite ship. Back on her last November and she still holds that spot after the refurb. Bistro on 5 became our favorite spot for lunch with friends.

Food is subjective and a few items were not to our liking but the amazing staff made sure we got something we did like. Overall the crew is top notch and you will have a memorable time!

Go for it! We were on her in 2007 and she became our favorite ship. Back on her last November and she still holds that spot after the refurb. Bistro on 5 became our favorite spot for lunch with friends.

Food is subjective and a few items were not to our liking but the amazing staff made sure we got something we did like. Overall the crew is top notch and you will have a memorable time!

Hello Donna, we have booked again for the Connie in Jan 2012. 14 nts around the Caribbean, fabulous itinerary. Got to get away from the British winter. Loved the Connie and met some really great fellow cruisers last time. Elaine

Just got off Constellation a few weeks ago after a Panama Canal cruise. The ship is in very good condition considering her age. Salt water is not gentle on ships, and the refurb/overhaul did not go to bare metal. Some corrosion is visible if you look for it.

That being said, it was a enjoyable cruise. IMHO, it was a better experience than HAL or Princess. Tuscan Grille is outstanding. Ocean Liners is very good as well, but I preferred Tuscan Grille. Bistro on 5 is a bargain, and nice change of pace. MDR was good, and the buffet acceptable for breakfast and lunch. The grille by the pool makes excellent burgers! The entertainment was varied and the ship's dancers/singers/band were very professional.

We were in a CC cabin and it was fine. Plenty of storage. Cabin steward was great! Canapes weren't really worth eating. Only complaint I have is the refrigerator isn't cold at all.

This was my first X cruise, but I'm already a fan and making plans for another cruise.

Hello Donna, we have booked again for the Connie in Jan 2012. 14 nts around the Caribbean, fabulous itinerary. Got to get away from the British winter. Loved the Connie and met some really great fellow cruisers last time. Elaine

Elaine, 24" of snow on the way and you are REALLY tempting us! January 14th? This is going to take some serious consideration. TA's are nice BUT getting away in January is sometimes even nicer!

To our original OP - no better reference for a ship than the fact that so many of us gladly rebook.

Don't buy into the hype! The Constellation is a lousy ship. I cannot for the life of me figure out how they manage to fill her and why she is still in service. Our cruise on her two years ago was so bad we are shelling out the big bucks to sail on her again in March solely to confirm the ship is as awful as I recall.

(Please note: the above post utilizes a language skill known as "sarcasm".)

Don't buy into the hype! The Constellation is a lousy ship. I cannot for the life of me figure out how they manage to fill her and why she is still in service. Our cruise on her two years ago was so bad we are shelling out the big bucks to sail on her again in March solely to confirm the ship is as awful as I recall.

(Please note: the above post utilizes a language skill known as "sarcasm".)

Really????

Lousy????

We were on the Jan. 15-29 sailing of the Connie and rebooked for next year. We absolutely loved her. We haven't sailed Celebrity since 1997 for various reasons and were very very happy to be back and will never sail another cruise line.

Just got off Constellation a few weeks ago after a Panama Canal cruise. The ship is in very good condition considering her age. Salt water is not gentle on ships, and the refurb/overhaul did not go to bare metal. Some corrosion is visible if you look for it.

That being said, it was a enjoyable cruise. IMHO, it was a better experience than HAL or Princess. Tuscan Grille is outstanding. Ocean Liners is very good as well, but I preferred Tuscan Grille. Bistro on 5 is a bargain, and nice change of pace. MDR was good, and the buffet acceptable for breakfast and lunch. The grille by the pool makes excellent burgers! The entertainment was varied and the ship's dancers/singers/band were very professional.

We were in a CC cabin and it was fine. Plenty of storage. Cabin steward was great! Canapes weren't really worth eating. Only complaint I have is the refrigerator isn't cold at all.

This was my first X cruise, but I'm already a fan and making plans for another cruise.

It is interesting that i have never seen you positive comment about the concierage canapes. I totally agree that they are partically inedible. Wonder why Celebrity keeps doing them> Or doesn't improve the quality.

I have been to a number of Captains clubs event with canapes and they are always good. They should be able to send the same around to the cabins, don't ya think?

Archived