Why such big flucuations is prices?

Hi All- I was looking at prices for an inside cabin on Jewel of the Seas for April 4. Over the weekend the price went down to $259. Then this morning I looked it was up to $449 then I just looked now and it is down to $359. Why is there such a big jump like that? Unfortunately, I couldn't book over the weekend and won't be able to until Weds. when I know my husband's school schedule.

Hi All- I was looking at prices for an inside cabin on Jewel of the Seas for April 4. Over the weekend the price went down to $259. Then this morning I looked it was up to $449 then I just looked now and it is down to $359. Why is there such a big jump like that? Unfortunately, I couldn't book over the weekend and won't be able to until Weds. when I know my husband's school schedule.

Supply and demand. The cruise you want to book is just under a month away so the cruiseline is trying to dump cabins. Unfortunately, this late in the game is "if you snooze, you loose" when it comes to getting cheapy cabins.

If there is a cabin you are interested in, put it on hold so you can lock in the rate. Otherwise, there is really no way of knowing what the price is going to be by Wednesday.

I have been watching the Jewel April sailings as well. A few days ago on the 4/4 sailing you could have gotten a balcony for $399. Unfortanetly that is the one date in April that I can't go.

That price lasted for 1 day.

It looks like there are only 9 insides available but over 50 oceanview cabins left. Keep an eye on it and check a couple of times a day. No guarantee that the prices will come down again but that seems like a lot of cabins to me to fill in less than a month. Good luck

Today is Tuesday.............sale day!!:D

If there is a cabin you are interested in, put it on hold so you can lock in the rate. Otherwise, there is really no way of knowing what the price is going to be by Wednesday.

Is there a limit on how close to sail that you can use the "hold" option? I use the "hold" function regularly when I do research. But then I was looking at a cruise less than 10 days away and I discovered the "hold" button was not available for that sailing.

Hi.....check this out...it's 'dynamic pricing' using algorithms.

This is the reason why you might see a cabin going for $268,800..it

happens.

http://www.marketplace.org/topics/tech/dynamic-pricing-spreads-beyond-airline-flights

:cool:

Thanks for sharing this, as I just saw this kind of pricing when looking at rooms left on my ship tonight. I thought it was some kind of glitch. Now it makes sense. :)

Thanks for sharing this, as I just saw this kind of pricing when looking at rooms left on my ship tonight. I thought it was some kind of glitch. Now it makes sense. :)

Actually, I think it is something that appears when they are working on the particulars regarding a specific sailing or sailings, or they are doing maintenance on the system. In that sense your thought about it being a glitch is probably closer to the truth than any "algorithm" explanation.:)

Archived