Mystery Dinner Theatre

Catperson

Has anyone attended this dinner on the AOS and did they enjoy it? It is quite expensive, over $60.00 each and I'd like to know what food they serve and is the wine free flowing? Is the entertainment a lot of fun? How much audience participation is there and are you centered out? There would just be the two of us and I know they put you at a table with others, so we would not have our own "group" to participate with. Also, it seems the mystery dinner is the same night as formal night, so we would miss out on that. Any thoughts?

• 4 weeks later...

I'd like to know too. Am going on Indy in April and this seems to be offered on the cruise's first night (which seems like odd timing, most people like to go to the dining room the first night). Also interested in any input on the Portofino wine dinner, which according to the schedule online is the second night of the cruise (no main dining room dinners for me, LOL).

Anyway, any advice and comments are appreciated. Also thought I'd try to poll...

Thanks.

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

Has anyone attended this dinner on the AOS and did they enjoy it? It is quite expensive, over $60.00 each and I'd like to know what food they serve and is the wine free flowing? Is the entertainment a lot of fun? How much audience participation is there and are you centered out? There would just be the two of us and I know they put you at a table with others, so we would not have our own "group" to participate with. Also, it seems the mystery dinner is the same night as formal night, so we would miss out on that. Any thoughts?
Edited by editor@cruisecritic

I participated in the Mystery Dinner Theater on the Mariner last fall. Some things may have changed, but I'm pretty sure the major details don't change too much fleet wide. Here is a copy of the menu I was given for the Murder Mystery on my ship:

1st Course

Antipasti Plate

2nd Course

Zuppa Del Giorno

(Soup of the Day)- (we had Minestrone)

or

Caeser Salad

(Romaine lettuce with shaved parmesan, herb croutons and traditional dressing)

3rd Course

Gamberoni Cotti in Padella al profumo Di Mare

(Tiger shrimp, roasted garlic and fresh herbs, served on a bed of grilled asparagus and baby vegetables)

or

Filleto Di Manzo Alla Piastra

(Grilled North American beef tenderloin on creamy truffle mashed potatoes, roasted garlic and seasonal vegetables

Dessert

Tiramisu Alla Portofino

(A luscious favorite with crushed marinated raspberries)

The wine was definately free-flowing for my dinner. Before dinner, everyone meets in a lounge onboard and servers pass small appetizers around and serve champagne. Now, I was not intentionally consuming this champagne quickly, but in the time we were there, I had about 2 1/2 glasses. During dinner, the servers were very good about keeping wine glasses full. Upon leaving, we saw a half-empty bottle of wine on a nearby ledge and on a whim, we asked the server if we could take it with us, and she happily handed it over!

I thought the entertainment was a lot of fun. It was cheesy and campy, but IMHO, that was half of the fun! Guests really aren't centered out. During one or two parts of the show, individuals were briefly invited onstage with the actors. The only other real interaction was at the very end of the meal when each table gets to ask the actors a question to try to figure out "whodunit".

I thought it was a lot of fun and I would even do it again. Just don't go into it expecting oscar-worthy acting!:D

Would a 13 year old enjoy this?

In my opinion, probably not. I don't think a 13 year old would enjoy sitting through a cocktail time with a bunch of adults with free flowing drinks. Everyone then goes into Portofino for dinner and then seated at pre determined tables for 8-10 people. During dinner the actors, who are usually part of the crew, carry on with the play.

The performance, IMHO is really cheesy/campy. Some enjoy it, we didn't. We felt that our money would have been better spent having a $20.00 dinner in Portofino with a full menu, rather than a $50.00 Murder Mystery Dinner with a very abbreviated menu and an amateurish performance.

I'd like to know too. Am going on Indy in April and this seems to be offered on the cruise's first night (which seems like odd timing, most people like to go to the dining room the first night). Also interested in any input on the Portofino wine dinner, which according to the schedule online is the second night of the cruise (no main dining room dinners for me, LOL).

Anyway, any advice and comments are appreciated. Also thought I'd try to poll...

Thanks.

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

Just to let you know....I have read that if not enough people sign up they do cancel these.....the first night on a spring break cruise when most people have kids and AO is closed tends to make me think the probability is high for cancellation. I have Chops booked that first night and can tell you reservations are wide open.

We did this on Brilliance and would not book it again. It was $50 per person and it was $30 too much. The performance was amateurish and the menu was limited to just choice of entree. Go to Portofino another night and enjoy the full menu.

I think if you are curious go for it....

We did it last fall on NOTS. I had no expectations, so was not disappointed in the "acting"...participation was minimal 2 ladies were singled out I was one of them .......the dinner and 'the who done it' was rushed...but it was nice to go once just to experience it.

Portofino tables are really not set up for looking at acting, me have been to 3 or 4 mystery murders in our area and certainly it does not compare.

As far as the the Tiramisu, presentation was beautiful and taste yummy.

The fillet was superior to Chops on this sailing......

I found both the specialty restaurants on NOTS only average...Atmosphere enhances the taste of the meal for me and there is none in these restaurants. Each to his own.

Edited by land lover

We did the Murder Mystery dinner on Serenade. And while we enjoyed it, once was probably enough. Like most Murder Mystery dinners...you never have quite enough information to solve the mystery. The champagne and wine selections and prix fixe menu didn't quite make up for the $30 in extra cost...red, white, champagne. :D While it was really fun, it is one of those cruise ship things that we have tried once, and probably would'nt do again. :)

And we did have 10 to 13 year olds at our dinner. One of them actually wrote the best essay on "who dunnit". Her parents were awarded with a bottle of champagne. :rolleyes:

Edited by pbhunt

Excellent detail, thanks very much!

Carolyn

I participated in the Mystery Dinner Theater on the Mariner last fall. Some things may have changed, but I'm pretty sure the major details don't change too much fleet wide. Here is a copy of the menu I was given for the Murder Mystery on my ship:

1st Course

Antipasti Plate

2nd Course

Zuppa Del Giorno

(Soup of the Day)- (we had Minestrone)

or

Caeser Salad

(Romaine lettuce with shaved parmesan, herb croutons and traditional dressing)

3rd Course

Gamberoni Cotti in Padella al profumo Di Mare

(Tiger shrimp, roasted garlic and fresh herbs, served on a bed of grilled asparagus and baby vegetables)

or

Filleto Di Manzo Alla Piastra

(Grilled North American beef tenderloin on creamy truffle mashed potatoes, roasted garlic and seasonal vegetables

Dessert

Tiramisu Alla Portofino

(A luscious favorite with crushed marinated raspberries)

The wine was definately free-flowing for my dinner. Before dinner, everyone meets in a lounge onboard and servers pass small appetizers around and serve champagne. Now, I was not intentionally consuming this champagne quickly, but in the time we were there, I had about 2 1/2 glasses. During dinner, the servers were very good about keeping wine glasses full. Upon leaving, we saw a half-empty bottle of wine on a nearby ledge and on a whim, we asked the server if we could take it with us, and she happily handed it over!

I thought the entertainment was a lot of fun. It was cheesy and campy, but IMHO, that was half of the fun! Guests really aren't centered out. During one or two parts of the show, individuals were briefly invited onstage with the actors. The only other real interaction was at the very end of the meal when each table gets to ask the actors a question to try to figure out "whodunit".

I thought it was a lot of fun and I would even do it again. Just don't go into it expecting oscar-worthy acting!:D

for the heads up -- won't get too set on it!

Carolyn

Just to let you know....I have read that if not enough people sign up they do cancel these.....the first night on a spring break cruise when most people have kids and AO is closed tends to make me think the probability is high for cancellation. I have Chops booked that first night and can tell you reservations are wide open.

• 4 years later...
Hi

I'm going on the Liberty of the Seas (5 Days Short Med) cruise on 20th April 2013. Does anyone know if there will be a Mystery Dinner Theatre on this cruise? Thanks

You should be able to tell by using the "Pre-cruise Planner" section of Royal's website.

We did the Murder Mystery Dinner on the Adventure March 12...we had a great time. The service was imppecable(sp), food melted in our mouths and the wine glasses were never empty.

Everything started right on time in the Viking Crown Lounge with appetizers and champagne. The cast encouraged audience participation.

We do the mystery dinner on every cruise and this one was one of the best.

Angela

• 3 years later...
I am going on the Serenade of the Sea in Feb and thinking about doing the mystery dinner and didn't know if anyone has done it lately?

What is the meal like and what it covers?

The menu is very much like what is shown in post #3.

We've been to several but we don't go anymore.

Some are great, some are lame. It all depends on the actors and perhaps the audience as well.

Food is always good and wine is good if you're so inclined.

If you haven't tried it, it might be worth a try.