Anyone ever just rent a taxi at Phu My port and gone to Vung Tao and the countryside?

Betty in Cozumel

This is very, very hard to swallow if you've already spent thousands of euros on flights and for the cruise itself.

Every single port I've been to has had cheap options waiting just outside the gate. Is this port really and truly the only port that doesn't??

I'm still trying to cope with the utter "betrayal" and "greed" of the cruise line (Celebrity, in my case) in choosing to dock at an industrial port in the middle of nowhere but pretending that this is near Saigon. It is a corporate scam, nothing less. We're very tempted to punish them by just staying on the ship, consuming at least $100 each of "free" stuff while we're there!!

As previously posted, we had pre- arranged tours in Phu My, but I did notice that there were vans (taxis?) and drivers looking for business and groups of passengers arranging deals. I don't know what they were charging but I would estimate there were 10-12 vans for hire. My advice would be pre-arrange something.

Phu My is the only port close to HCMC capable of taking large ships - smaller ships can get further up the river.

However, I like your idea of punishing the cruise line - I've seen many passengers in the buffet, over the years, trying to punish the cruise line!😂

The free shuttle is provided by the City of Baria, not the cruise lines, at least that was the case in our two trips there with Princess and RCL.

You can walk safely to the port gate, and save yourself each about $25 - this is an unofficial charge imposed by the Port Staff as a means of extracting "tea money" from foreigners.

Yes, we had free shuttle to the gate, then free shuttle to Baria (from Princess ship).