Vantage question

amd1234

Our friends are leaving next month on a Vantage river cruise and we were having a discussion about Vantage being all inclusive . Is this correct?

Wondering what their definition of "all inclusive" is.....???

Transfers from airport are included. Vantage includes many tours that might be considered "optional" on other lines. But I wouldn't call them all inclusive if you are referring to alcohol (wine and beer are served free of charge on SOME river cruises) and tips are optional but can be charged to you onboard account.

Wondering what their definition of "all inclusive" is.....???

Transfers from airport are included. Vantage includes many tours that might be considered "optional" on other lines. But I wouldn't call them all inclusive if you are referring to alcohol (wine and beer are served free of charge on SOME river cruises) and tips are optional but can be charged to you onboard account.

A little clarification here:

Transfers are included IF you purchased your air from Vantage. If not, then you can PURCHASE transfers for about $100 per person round-trip or get to the hotel/ship by whatever means you choose. EG: We're a group of 4 going on a trip with Vantage flying to the west coast from NY and FL. We will try to coordinate our arrivals and departures so we can share a limo, which will cost about $100 each way for 4 people. A considerable savings and since we're staying in the US, I feel perfectly comfortable doing that. To Europe, I prefer to have Vantage do my transfers.

Vantage includes at least one tour in each port. I've done 6 so far and MOST of the shore excursions are included, however, there are usually a couple that are extra and they generally include a tour bus, lunch and all admissions. IMHO these optionals are worth every penny and you can book them on the ship.

Wine is included on SOME cruises and not on others, so read the fine print of what's included. It is always included at the welcome and farewell dinner. Bottled water will always be handed out as you leave the ship for your excursion. DH and I drink a lot of water so we each take a bottle every time someone offers it and keep it in our fridge.

Vantage will tell you the suggested amount for tipping on the ship and unless you change it, that is the amount you will be charged. Of course you can either lessen or increase the tip, you just have to tell them and they will make it very clear when the cut off date to do that is. When on shore excursions, tips are NOT included for the local guide and/or bus driver (some of which I don't tip because they don't get off the bus to assist passengers who need it and if they don't unlock the bathroom that's a deal breaker to me!)

Airfare is NOT included unless it specifically says so. Hope that helps.:D

@HydroKitty: Vantage will tell you the suggested amount for tipping on the ship and unless you change it, that is the amount you will be charged. Of course you can either lessen or increase the tip, you just have to tell them and they will make it very clear when the cut off date to do that is. When on shore excursions, tips are NOT included for the local guide and/or bus driver (some of which I don't tip because they don't get off the bus to assist passengers who need it and if they don't unlock the bathroom that's a deal breaker to me!)

What is the "suggested" amount for tipping by Vantage?

@HydroKitty: Vantage will tell you the suggested amount for tipping on the ship and unless you change it, that is the amount you will be charged. Of course you can either lessen or increase the tip, you just have to tell them and they will make it very clear when the cut off date to do that is. When on shore excursions, tips are NOT included for the local guide and/or bus driver (some of which I don't tip because they don't get off the bus to assist passengers who need it and if they don't unlock the bathroom that's a deal breaker to me!)

What is the "suggested" amount for tipping by Vantage?

Not sure that it is a set amount I think it depends on the cruise and length of the cruise. It is usually listed in the literature they send you pre-trip.

It was 3-6 euros (pp/per day) for Cruise Director and Concierge on our recent river cruise. However they automatically charged our account 5 euros which you can lessen or increase. (Or decline and give cash in envelopes if you choose). The amount for the SHIP's crew was not automatic and you had to tell them the amount (on our recent cruise it was 9-11euros --pp/per day for crew)

The strange thing was we were charged 50 euros (5 euros pp/per day) for our FIRST 10 day cruise and the 55 euros for the 2nd 10 day cruise. (We adjust according to our personal preference.)

Just a quick note on wine. It's my understanding that in 2015 Vantage will begin offering free wine, beer, and soft drinks with dinner on all its cruises. You can check specific cruises on the web site to make sure.

FuelScience

Not sure that it is a set amount I think it depends on the cruise and length of the cruise. It is usually listed in the literature they send you pre-trip.

It was 3-6 euros (pp/per day) for Cruise Director and Concierge on our recent river cruise. However they automatically charged our account 5 euros which you can lessen or increase. (Or decline and give cash in envelopes if you choose). The amount for the SHIP's crew was not automatic and you had to tell them the amount (on our recent cruise it was 9-11euros --pp/per day for crew)

The strange thing was we were charged 50 euros (5 euros pp/per day) for our FIRST 10 day cruise and the 55 euros for the 2nd 10 day cruise. (We adjust according to our personal preference.)

That sounds about right although we lowered TM & Concierge tips because concierge did nothing. Unfortunately we discovered too late that they pool and split tips. Ship crew was 10€ per day and unless you changed it that's what they charged....it may vary on different cruises....

I

That sounds about right although we lowered TM & Concierge tips because concierge did nothing. Unfortunately we discovered too late that they pool and split tips. Ship crew was 10€ per day and unless you changed it that's what they charged....it may vary on different cruises....

I

Can you clarify who pools?

We were given slightly different information. We were told that we had to give the same amount (between 3-6 euros) to the Cruise Director and Concierge and that VANTAGE decides on what percentage each gets. This sounded a bit odd but we were not able to clarify it further. The CD seems to have way more responsibility than the Concierge. On the first ship we felt both CD and concierge worked well together and did a great job. On the second part of the cruise our CD was not as effective and the concierge almost invisible!

The crew tips are pooled (presumably among the entire crew).

Edited by pbnjrockette

Sure, it was the tour manager and the concierge and I was not pleased because the tm made all the arrangements for the buses and the tours and local guides, while the concierge didn't do anything for DH and me except call a taxi! I would have gladly given the TM the suggested amount, but not the concierge and that's when I found out you put tip for both in one envelope and they pooled. I was mildly annoyed, but had I been told what pbjrockette was told, I would have been furious!!!!

Edited by Hydrokitty

Interesting.

I recall reading that Vantage recently changed from having several on-board program directors each of which dealt with a subgroup of the pax and who also did some tours. Do you think this change had anything to do with the pooling?

Interesting.

I recall reading that Vantage recently changed from having several on-board program directors each of which dealt with a subgroup of the pax and who also did some tours. Do you think this change had anything to do with the pooling?

Most probably because it obvious that the Cruise Director does a LOT more work than the Concierge (at least on the River Venture our Concierge was active and assisted on excursions and helped individuals reservations, obtaining medications from pharmacies, and provided worthwhile information in WRITTEN form for each port. On the Navigator the Concierge sat at his desk and barely knew the answers for questions (relied on Google a lot!!)

The old "Program Managers" used to be assigned to about 40 passengers and there were 3 or 4 per Rivercruise. They traveled on tours with their group and really got to know passengers. Now the Cruise Director is in charge of all 130-170 passengers and the personal attention is way less. They rely on local guides for the tours and while some of the guides were great, others were not . In case of an emergency with one CD among so many, problems went unsolved . Many of us have written this in our trip evaluations that Vantage receives.

Most probably because it obvious that the Cruise Director does a LOT more work than the Concierge (at least on the River Venture our Concierge was active and assisted on excursions and helped individuals reservations, obtaining medications from pharmacies, and provided worthwhile information in WRITTEN form for each port. On the Navigator the Concierge sat at his desk and barely knew the answers for questions (relied on Google a lot!!)

The old "Program Managers" used to be assigned to about 40 passengers and there were 3 or 4 per Rivercruise. They traveled on tours with their group and really got to know passengers. Now the Cruise Director is in charge of all 130-170 passengers and the personal attention is way less. They rely on local guides for the tours and while some of the guides were great, others were not . In case of an emergency with one CD among so many, problems went unsolved . Many of us have written this in our trip evaluations that Vantage receives.

I totally agree and I did write a letter. Our concierge was nice but absolutely useless and did nothing that on past trips the ship's purser did (calling taxis or making dinner reservations). Most people make their own arrangements for special things, like our tour of Parliament in Budapest, all she did for us was call a taxi and for this she gets 50% of my tip! One huge benefit of 4 TM's was that not only did TM and passengers get to know each other, but TM also knew each person's limitations and while on a walking tour with local guide, would walk behind the last person in the group making sure no one got lost. Additionally, when a passenger had a medical emergency, TM went with her to the hospital and stayed with her until she was able to return to ship. Her group was divided up between the other 3 groups and everything was seamless. I sincerely hope they go back to 1 TM for each group of 30-40...it provided a much better experience and if there was a problem you felt much more comfortable taking it to someone you "knew".

In our "Everything You Need to Know" guide, there are tipping guidelines for local guides, 1-2 euro per person per day, drivers 1-2 euro per person per day, Cruise director 4-6 euro per person per day and Ship Staff & Crew, 9-11 euro per person per day, which includes all of the onboard ship staff. That to me means it includes the Concierge.

As a point of comparison, here are Viking's suggested gratuities for Europe:

Program Director – €2 per guest, per day

Onboard staff – €12 per guest, per day

Local city guides – €2 per guest, per day

Coach drivers – €1 per guest, per day

FuelScience

In our "Everything You Need to Know" guide, there are tipping guidelines for local guides, 1-2 euro per person per day, drivers 1-2 euro per person per day, Cruise director 4-6 euro per person per day and Ship Staff & Crew, 9-11 euro per person per day, which includes all of the onboard ship staff. That to me means it includes the Concierge.

I just rechecked our bill and we were charged 50euros pp for the services of the Cruise Director AND the Concierge. (that's 100 euros per couple). It's listed on the bill "Gratuity for PM/Concierge." So apparently the CD & Concierge split that amount. Whether it's 50/50 is unknown. (The Concierge is not part of the "on-board staff" but is an independent contractor like the Cruise Director.)

Edited by pbnjrockette

I and many other past Vantage cruisers think this new arrangement is for the birds.

Previously on every other Vantage cruises we had a personal Tour Manager that could deal with the 30 to 40 odd of us.

In Russia, one accompanied me to a number of pharmacies and a wine shop to help out.

I cannot see that advantage of the new arrangement, because everyone in our group tipped the Tour Manager in our group.

I and many other past Vantage cruisers think this new arrangement is for the birds.

Previously on every other Vantage cruises we had a personal Tour Manager that could deal with the 30 to 40 odd of us.

In Russia, one accompanied me to a number of pharmacies and a wine shop to help out.

I cannot see that advantage of the new arrangement, because everyone in our group tipped the Tour Manager in our group.

If they get any salary at all from the cruise line, the new arrangement means 2x rather than 4x. And there's at least one extra cabin to sell (assuming they share, if not - 2 extra).

Oh, you meant advantage to the passengers? Then, no - I don't either. ;)

Edited by Host Jazzbeau

As a point of comparison, here are Viking's suggested gratuities for Europe:

Program Director – €2 per guest, per day

Onboard staff – €12 per guest, per day

Local city guides – €2 per guest, per day

Coach drivers – €1 per guest, per day

FuelScience

Just trying to get an idea of how the different players in the market operate. Was there just one Program Director on the ship? A concierge also?