Very disappointed in Avalon Lounge - Disco!!!!

JohnoClark

On a Danube River Cruise with rain almost every day, the Lounge should be an Oasis in the evening since the roof top sitting in not an option.

I was very surprised to find loud Disco music rather than the Piano Bar I expected and found on Cruise Lines.

I would not travel on Avalon again because of this.

... not if it was the only available public space though...

I do not see how this is any different from our disappointment (and total boredom) with some of the dismal entertainment we had on Avalon. The lounge was mostly empty in the evenings by 10pm. There was an aft lounge for those wanting an (even more) quiet spot for conversation.

Those of us not ready for bed would have been grateful for some lively dance music. We were not the only ones that felt that way.

YMMV.

Thennnn....have your own party, and music, in your private stateroom. Invite all your fellow disgruntled passengers. Party!

... then advertise the intention to run the cruise as an itinerant disco and nobody will have reason to complain :)

The website is all about tranquillity and peaceful progress along the river, 'disco' doesn't seem to rate a mention so do please excuse those who didn't sign up for that when they paid for their cruise/.

There was an aft lounge for those wanting an (even more) quiet spot for conversation.

Hence my mention of 'if this was the only public space'...

As long as there is room for those who do not seek loud music then all is good, but I'd still suggest a mention in the cruise marketing material wouldn't be a bad idea because it seems to stress the very opposite to this sort of entertainment right now so people may naturally be surprised to find it happening...

... then advertise the intention to run the cruise as an itinerant disco and nobody will have reason to complain :)

The website is all about tranquillity and peaceful progress along the river, 'disco' doesn't seem to rate a mention so do please excuse those who didn't sign up for that when they paid for their cruise/.

Oh please. I'm sure the music was not the pulsating club music of 2017. More like the discos the 65 year old cruisers frequented in their youth. Lol. Btw I think you're confusing the Viking advertisements with Avalon.

Btw I think you're confusing the Viking advertisements with Avalon.

No, I really don't think so...

"...You won't find big West End-style theatre productions on board our river cruise ships. Evenings are spent enjoying a drink on deck or in the lounge, chatting with friends new and old, admiring the view from your open-air balcony or simply snuggling up to watch a movie in your stateroom. Grab a book, listen to a guest speaker or local entertainers, or perhaps even take part in an on-board tasting of wine, beer or regional delicacies."

No sign of a disco there I'd say...

If they are adding DJ dance music, once can conclude that their clientele has expressed an interest in some livelier entertainment. Otherwise, things would have been left as they were. JMO.

... and I don't see anything wrong with that, with all the different cruise lines we have to choose from, why shouldn't there be a line with lively dance music in the main lounge in the evenings?

All I ask is publish the fact and get the benefit of attracting those who want that and let those who don't pick a line that suits them.

We were on the Avalon Creativity 2015 our first time cruising Avalon. After dinner we would go to lounge and listen to Merlin keyboard and singer absoutely fabulous. He made our trip. Usually we would just have an after dinner drink and retire early..There was dancing and always a fun evening. We are usually exhausted and this was just our type of entertainment .

On a Danube River Cruise with rain almost every day, the Lounge should be an Oasis in the evening since the roof top sitting in not an option.

I was very surprised to find loud Disco music rather than the Piano Bar I expected and found on Cruise Lines.

We discovered on our Vantage cruise a couple of years ago, that the piano players are no longer on board. Our ship had a free-play juke box with 40s & 50s music.

I prefer the piano players, also. But I didn't let it detract from my enjoyment of the cruise as a whole.

Or maybe...the piano player ran off with one of the previous passengers?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Lol. Hysterical. My sister in law and her friends are currently on the Creativity. I'll ask them when they return about the Disco music on that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

loud disco music in the lounge every night would not suit all. we have done several river cruises on Avalon and Apt and have never had loud disco music.

perhaps the demographics were different for this 1? disco is a bit old fashioned perhaps this was a retro cruise? soon to do an Oceania and following with another river cruise we prefer a different ambiance not into loud music.

but each to their own. but agree if every night the lounge becomes a loud disco venue it needs to be disclosed.

Did you ask the cruise director or hotel manager about changing the music?

• Members

Entertainment on river cruise lines is a conundrum, and you'll likely see almost all the lines trying different things. The Eastern European piano player singing in a bad accent that you see on many ships is clearly a tired concept - leads to empty lounges and a crew space that's being taken up by someone unpopular. On almost every line I've been on this year, management is trying to figure out a different formula.

Some lines are bringing more entertainers onboard in different stops. These can be traditional or a live band that plays music from the 50s and 60s, as well as other popular hits. Occasionally if the demographics are younger, the piano player will do a bit of DJing. The music certainly isn't club style; it's usually the play list that you'd find at a typical wedding from 10 years ago.

It's tough to find entertainment that appeals to everyone. Boomers are, of course, the growing majority on river cruises (ages lower 50s/60s/just entering 70s). But more affluent GenXers are coming into river cruises too - people in their 50s (both low and upper) are the ones driving the demand for more active and interesting excursions, as well as the family sailings. Having music for dancing at least one night helps with this crowd.

The entertainment on our most recent river cruise with Avalon was so bad it was embarrassing. It felt like they hired any free entertainment they could get their hands on. The entertainers were in their 60's or 70's and couldn't remember the choreography. When we're paying big bucks for these river cruises hiring decent entertainment is a no brainer.

When we're paying big bucks for these river cruises hiring decent entertainment is a no brainer.

Alas, what defines "decent entertainment" varies widely, as evidenced by this thread;p Purely subjective...

Though I would agree that a performer who can remember the choreography is probably a basic for all entertainers:*

Did they play the Disco music every night?