Amalfi Coast Tour and Pompeii

Sierra59

I am wondering if anyone knows if it is reliable to wait until you depart in Naples and find a driver at the port to take a small group down the Amalfi Coast and Pompeii and make it back to the ship in time?

No. Have something lined up. We have used RIL, mentioned above, and Sorento First Choice. Both required payment at end of tour in cash euros. Enjoyed both companies. Try italytoursharing.com as well, aka Joe Banana Limos. We are using them next. They have share tours available online.

RIL has share tour options, too, on their site.

We used Roberto from amalficoastdestinations and he was awesome!

He will take you down the coast to Amalfi where he is from, he will take you to a nice family restaurant for lunch with a family he knows who runs it. (Gorgeous views too!)

Then he will get you to Pompeii and have a guide waiting to take you around and show you the important things and back to the ship on time. Best day of my life!

Enjoy! :)

Oh please do not wait until you get there to arrange a tour. The Amalfi Coast and Pompeii are not to be missed. If you wait until the day of you won't have the opportunity to check them out to make sure they are legit or there might not be someone there to take you. Take the above advice and arrange ahead of time.

Last spring, we gambled and felt it paid off. We pre-purchased tickets for a self guided roam of Pompeii planning to take the train there and back. As we exited the terminal area, we were approached by a taxi driver. After a bit of confused (on my part) discussion, we agreed on a price for transport to Pompeii for about four hours then to Sorrento for lunch and a couple of hours visiting that city. We ended with a short drive through Naples leaving us time to do some walking around town to see even more. I don't remember what we paid for the day, but it was considerably less than other options I had researched. What is that saying about ".. taking care of fools and drunks"?

We used Roberto from amalficoastdestinations and he was awesome!

He will take you down the coast to Amalfi where he is from, he will take you to a nice family restaurant for lunch with a family he knows who runs it. (Gorgeous views too!)

Then he will get you to Pompeii and have a guide waiting to take you around and show you the important things and back to the ship on time. Best day of my life!

Enjoy! :)

I have looked at their site. There a few tours listed. I was thinking of getting a group from our Roll Call. We are visiting Naples from 7am-7pm on a Friday.

Which tour did you do?

Was it a shared tour or just your own group?

Do you remember the cost?

Did you prepay or on the end of the tour?

Many years ago we did Sorrento and Pompeii on our own off an RCCL ship. Took the hydrofoil across the bay, incredible views, walked through Sorrento to the train, and took the train to Pompeii. If I remember correctly we did a self-guided tour through Pompeii, and I know we missed some things, but there were so many tour groups that we inadvertently got some of the guide info - just from 6 or 8 guides not one! We then took the train back to Naples, and, although we had already had some lunch in Pompeii, went to one of the original Neapolitan pizzerias and split a mid-afternoon pizza margerita. Then taxi back to the ship.

Not sure I would necessarily recommend this, but we were young and relatively cheap and we had spent a fortune (to us) on our Rome excursion.

A few years later, my DH went with our children on their school's early summer Europe tour, and they did Herculaneum, he says to this day that it was more eerie and more amazing than Pompeii (a lot of the most significant artifacts in Pompeii have been removed to a museum in Naples).

Oh, and everyone should once in their lives take a taxi in Naples, it will rearrange your priorities and your notions of traffic and creative driving solutions.

I have looked at their site. There a few tours listed. I was thinking of getting a group from our Roll Call. We are visiting Naples from 7am-7pm on a Friday.

Which tour did you do?

Was it a shared tour or just your own group?

Do you remember the cost?

Did you prepay or on the end of the tour?

We just did an Amalfi Coast tour, it was just our group of 6 that went and I think it was about 500.00 for the whole day between us. It was a bit costly but divided up not so bad and worth EVERY penny. We didn't pre-pay, just paid Roberto at the end of tour. It was fantastic and nice that he has someone lined up for Pompeii upon your arrival. The lunch was 20 bucks and it was also amazing, wine, limoncello, and wonderful homemade food!

As other have said You must arrange ahead or lose out.

When deciding who to choose, there are many operators, pick the best transport vehicle. Ask what type of vehicle is on offer, the best for a group of 8 people is without doubt the Mercedes Sprinter. It is not cloustrophobic like many, it really makes a significant difference and everyone has a comfortable seat.

Check out www.aldolimos.com they are fantastic, ask for the merc sprinter and if you can get Aldo as the driver you will have striked gold I can assure you.

Aldo has born and lives in Sorrento, was a first class chef and knows the Amalfi coast like the back of his hand.

We just did an Amalfi Coast tour, it was just our group of 6 that went and I think it was about 500.00 for the whole day between us. It was a bit costly but divided up not so bad and worth EVERY penny. We didn't pre-pay, just paid Roberto at the end of tour. It was fantastic and nice that he has someone lined up for Pompeii upon your arrival. The lunch was 20 bucks and it was also amazing, wine, limoncello, and wonderful homemade food!

Thanks for the information, there are so many tour companies to choose from.

Oh god no.l do not wait to arrange the day off. Much better to arrive knowing your ride is waiting for you. I highly recommend Rome in limo (they do Naples also). I used them for all our Italian cities during our b2b.

I have used Amalfi Coast Tours. Wonderful tour person. Great for private or small group. He drives a Mercedes. Highly recommended.

Another vote for RomeInLimo. We have used them twice out of Naples. And while the standard is to pay Euros at the end of the tour you can pay in advance by credit card. They will sometimes charge a 5% fee to do that though. Sometimes though they also have specials if you prepay when booking multiple tours with them (10% savings).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Was that Rome in Limo? We used them and did the lunch thing and it was FABULOUS! Do not wait to book a tour, the guide we hired was amazing and we got so much more out of the tour. We used RIL for all of the ports and was very satisfied.

I am wondering if anyone knows if it is reliable to wait until you depart in Naples and find a driver at the port to take a small group down the Amalfi Coast and Pompeii and make it back to the ship in time?

Not a chance! do your homework and research providers in the area. We have used Aldo limos twice whilst in Naples for Amalfi tours and their attention to detail is superb. They are waiting for you as you exit the terminal and they drop you back off at the terminal door. Both times the drivers were informative and spoke great English. They were integral to a great trip. Aldo's wife is English and comes from a town called Chorley which is close to us in Merseyside. They use modern Mercedes and are lovely people. So much so Aldo even told us where to dine for lunch in Sorrento in a place he described as 'Mamas cooking', he wasn't lying and dirt cheap! Strongly recommend . https://www.aldolimos.com/

I also have to give a thumbs up to Roberto. It is in our top 5 shore excursions of all time. I can’t say enough about the lunch and the view. I’m not very gushy, but it brought a tear to my eye. The whole day was just glorious, he was such a professional. By the way, if your going to Santorini, that is another excursion in our top five.

Rollie

Pompeii is big and gets very crowded and hot in the Summer. When we were in Sorrento we took a train to Herculaneum http://ercolano.beniculturali.it/. Getting there from Naples is also easy. Audio guides (in several languages) were easily available from the gate.

In my opinion, and especially when time is limited, Herculaneum has more to offer than its more famous cousin: The buildings are more complete and there is much more original architecture to see; so easy to imagine yourself in a toga or tunic shopping for wine or fruit.

herculaneum-42?imgmax=1600

In my opinion, and especially when time is limited, Herculaneum has more to offer than its more famous cousin.........

Totally agree, Herculaneum is ideal for a cruise day trip. Get there early as the crowds begin to arrive from 10.30 onwards and I mean BUS loads. Check out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TBD53N1DRI - very interesting insight as to what to expect in Herculaneum.

Edited by mickey89

We have used Eurolimo twice when visiting Sorrento, Positano, Vesuvius etc and they were excellent. Collected us from Naples airport in new Mercedes cars. Arranged tours to Pompeii then wine tasting at Mount Vesuvius. Cannot recommend highly enough. Look at their reviews on TripAdvisor. Naples is frenetic so it pays to book in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums