Flight arrival Times?

georgiahiker

Many times I don’t have an option to fly in early. But only one issue in all my cruises. Memphis was a beautiful pre-Christmas day, but Atlanta was fogged in. Luckily all flights in and out of ATL were delayed, with frequent calls to the cruise carrier, they knew I was in my way, and when I got to FLL. Ended up the last person to board.

No lines no hassle at the ship, got straight to my room to get over the stress of all day.

Yes when you can it’s really cheaper on your mind and body. Here’s hoping my Dec day of flight isn’t a day from Hell this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm going on a cruise from Baltimore in February and even though I live in NJ and it's only about a 2 and a half hour drive to port, I'm still thinking about going down a day before in case of bad weather:eek:.

In Feb.of 2014 I left on Splendor from NY in a blizzard and there were 600 people who didn't make the cruise due to cancelled flights and poor road conditions. Actually met a few people who were staying on for a B2B because their flights home were delayed or cancelled.

Glad I decided to stay in NY the day before. I worry more in winter:)

I'm going on a cruise from Baltimore in February and even though I live in NJ and it's only about a 2 and a half hour drive to port, I'm still thinking about going down a day before in case of bad weather:eek:.

In Feb.of 2014 I left on Splendor from NY in a blizzard and there were 600 people who didn't make the cruise due to cancelled flights and poor road conditions. Actually met a few people who were staying on for a B2B because their flights home were delayed or cancelled.

Glad I decided to stay in NY the day before. I worry more in winter:)

Ha. But here's the thing. Most often bad weather can be anticipated by 36-48 hours and assuming it's not some epic storm that cripples the area for days, you can usually alter your plans and beat it out. Like in your case, a big snow the day before your cruise could cause you to decide to book an extra night and make that modest drive 24 hours earlier.

Here's one thing I've found doing a lot of flying. Get me 'in the system' and away from the airport with 'trouble' and 99.9% of the time they'll get you to your destination same day. So back on our case, a Friday MDW flight could easily become a Thursday MDW flight getting us to SJU or MCO with a bump up one night in lodging.

Unrelated to a cruise, I remember one time a big snow coming that day into Chicago. The computer couldn't figure out how to route me to LAS so it looked impossible. I figured out a circuitous route that 'worked' and literally read it to the Customer Service rep on the phone. 'Can you get to MDW in an hour sir?' YES I CAN, as I ran out the door. Snowing pretty heavily as we were wheels up at Midway.

We fly the day before. Once our flight was canceled due to storms in FL and had to rent a car and drive from Columbus Oh to Miami. You just never know what can happen. I would also recommend Comfort Inn on Stirling Rd if you fly into Ft Lauderdale. It's cheap, clean, free airport shuttle and in a shopping plaza. Plenty of walkable places to get wine or anything you may forget.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Forums mobile app

On my husband and I’s First cruise we were going to fly in the day of. Husband wanted to fly in the day before but I didn’t want to to save money. Well, it just so happened that a crazy person set fire to the control station in Chicago days before our cruise and it threw a monkey wrench in all flights from that airport which is one we were connecting with. Flights were canceled and delayed for a while. We called and they nicely switched us to the flight the day earlier than our cruise and we said never again. We have flown in the day before for every cruise since.

I remember that day well. I was supposed to come back from Detroit on business. Lucky I already had a rental car because getting a new one was impossible. Rental Co. was helpful and I drove to Chicago that night to retrieve my personal vehicle from the airport.

I have been told many times I'm crazy from driving 3 hours the same day as the cruise. There is always those that go the day before, and those that have no issues going the same day.

Living in NC, we will drive to the Charleston port the day of...anything else its the day before...less stress..our 1st cruise years ago we flew in to Miami the day of...it wasn't bad but experienced weather coming back..it took less than 3 hrs to get there but 10 to get back to Charlotte because of flight delays:eek:..got us to thinking what if.......

New cruiser here and have read a few posts about this, yet was curious if most fly in the day before? I am coming from Atlanta to Miami (or Ft Lauderdale) and there are several choices of flights to arrive by 8:45(in March). Is that not plenty of time to get to the port?

I understand there is a chance for flight delays due to weather etc. and it is a personal decision but just curious what you all usually do and your general thoughts on it. BTW Ft. Lauderdale seems a bit cheaper... but farther.

Thoughts?,

Nick

Flying in on the same day? Not a problem until it's a problem. Delay (either you or your luggage) is not uncommon. We always fly in at least two days prior - always trying to start from a new and different port for us so that we can add a few land visit days and get the most "bang for the (airfare) buck."

Flying in on the same day? Not a problem until it's a problem. Delay (either you or your luggage) is not uncommon. We always fly in at least two days prior - always trying to start from a new and different port for us so that we can add a few land visit days and get the most "bang for the (airfare) buck."

For many (most) folks that's simply not possible. 99% of the time a flight the evening before is just fine. That means if you cruise Saturday flying Friday and leaving work a bit early is fine. Have fun.

During our first couple cruises, we let the cruise line book our flights with no worries because they'll hold the ship for you if you're late. After that, we started booking our own flights for cheaper and always fly in at least one day before the cruise departs. Peace of mind and no anxiety make it a must for me.

On the way home from Fort Lauderdale one February Sunday, there were five of us going home to three different airports. Four of us made it home fine but my daughter got delayed for 10 hours, then dumped in Maryland to find her own way home to JFK. We had to purchase a hotel room and another flight the next day to get her home. So $700 and a day late for work taught the doubters in our group that anything can happen AND you're at the mercy of the airline. My motto: Better safe than sorry.

During our first couple cruises, we let the cruise line book our flights with no worries because they'll hold the ship for you if you're late. After that, we started booking our own flights for cheaper and always fly in at least one day before the cruise departs. Peace of mind and no anxiety make it a must for me.

On the way home from Fort Lauderdale one February Sunday, there were five of us going home to three different airports. Four of us made it home fine but my daughter got delayed for 10 hours, then dumped in Maryland to find her own way home to JFK. We had to purchase a hotel room and another flight the next day to get her home. So $700 and a day late for work taught the doubters in our group that anything can happen AND you're at the mercy of the airline. My motto: Better safe than sorry.

You may want to dig up the contract for one of those cruises where they did your air arrangements. The wording will be interpretable by the cruise line to mean that they will do their reasonable best to wait for you but there are various circumstances that may make that impossible. As with ship's excursions, all that may really be guaranteed is that they will eventually get you to the ship, which may be at the next port (imagine if the next port is several sea days away).

We fly the day before. Once our flight was canceled due to storms in FL and had to rent a car and drive from Columbus Oh to Miami. You just never know what can happen. I would also recommend Comfort Inn on Stirling Rd if you fly into Ft Lauderdale. It's cheap, clean, free airport shuttle and in a shopping plaza. Plenty of walkable places to get wine or anything you may forget.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Forums mobile app

Thanks for the recommendation Jaxsmama! Will look it up if we decide to go the day before,

Nick

You may want to dig up the contract for one of those cruises where they did your air arrangements. The wording will be interpretable by the cruise line to mean that they will do their reasonable best to wait for you but there are various circumstances that may make that impossible. As with ship's excursions, all that may really be guaranteed is that they will eventually get you to the ship, which may be at the next port (imagine if the next port is several sea days away).

We only did that twice and found out it was cheaper to book on our own and we like flying in at least one day before. But you're right, that's exactly what it says!

Hi

Flying has become a real pain you know where.

If it were a drive of less than 10 hrs. I would choose to drive the day before pretty much every time stopping for the night about two hours from the port and continuing in the morning. If it's a bit further, it becomes a toss up, but after some long delays at airports, you just feel so helpless. Sure you book the day before but if you spend the whole day in the airport, how great do you feel arriving at midnight.

It's too bad we don't live closer to Florida. :) The furthest I have driven for a cruise was to Norfolk, that took about 16 hr. and was probably a bit too far. So far, whether flying or driving, we have been lucky enough to never have missed our ship but I can imagine the day will come when we have to improvise. Hope that never happens to any of you.

happy cruising

• 3 months later...

I never fly in the day of if I have a layover. And I get very few flights non stop from Denver, except LA and Houston, that are less than 3 hrs.. I am flying to LA non stop the day of my cruise. Its a two hour flight. But I got the earliest flight, since it could potentially snow us in in Den in April. But I'm still a bit nervous.

Just because atl to Florida is a short doesn't mean your flight might not be delayed. A problem in NY Chicago or any hub can raze havoc all over the place. Trust me I've been there done that.

Even slow moving thunder storms can shut down an airport. My brother and SIL spent the night in the Miami airport waiting for a storm to pass before they reopened the airport because of a storm. Luckily they were returning from a cruise and not flying in for one.

We did day of last year, but that was more economics ..we got first flight of the day from Nashville to Fort Lauderdale (non-stop) in April.. and we took both sets of parents and didnt want to spring for 3 rooms (or share). We figured there were 5-6 other flights that day that would have worked and got us there on-time. With the benefit of hindsight though.. Hmmmm..

We have flown in to Miami the day of the cruise. An 8:45 am arrival allows tons of cushion in case of flight delays. There will be lots of other planes going between big hubs like ATL (Delta) and MIA (American) so you will make the cruise.

However, it's always less stressful to come in the day before if you can. You have to spring for a hotel room and pay for some meals but it is worth it if you have time to spare.

I always laugh at this topic. People tell me all the time, that I'm risking things because I drive 3 hours the morning of a cruise. What if you get a flat. What if you get traffic.....and the what if's go on. Than there is the flying. Fly the day before. So you have a late flight, it snows, or a flight is canceled. Maybe you will get another flight, but if things are bad enough, you still might not make it. Everything can happen and it can happen the day before or the day of. It could work out. I have had my share of travel mishaps and the number one thing I learned is that it doesn't matter when things happen, because you will have to deal with it.