Edinburgh Tattoo with Private Seating & Reception

Hello everyone! My wife and I will be taking a British Isles cruise next August to celebrate our anniversary. We are planning to attend the Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo. We will have seats in the Royal Gallery and attend the reception following the program.

The cruise website excursion description doesn't answer my specific questions. I'd love to hear anyone's experiences with this excursion. Feel free to go into as much detail as you wish. I've searched Cruise Critic and the internet for several hours but can't find personal reviews from anyone who took this specific excursion.

I know next August is along way off, but I like to plan ahead especially for a special occasion like the Tattoo. Thanks in advance for your help.

Hello everyone! My wife and I will be taking a British Isles cruise next August to celebrate our anniversary. We are planning to attend the Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo. We will have seats in the Royal Gallery and attend the reception following the program.

The cruise website excursion description doesn't answer my specific questions. I'd love to hear anyone's experiences with this excursion. Feel free to go into as much detail as you wish. I've searched Cruise Critic and the internet for several hours but can't find personal reviews from anyone who took this specific excursion.

I know next August is along way off, but I like to plan ahead especially for a special occasion like the Tattoo. Thanks in advance for your help.

Have you checked out the FAQs on the Tattoo website? It might answer some of your questions regarding the Royal Gallery & champagne reception: https://www.edintattoo.co.uk/hospitality/frequently-asked-questions

There is also some info on Tripadvisor regarding the dress code. You can also post your queries on TA (Scotland forum) and hopefully a local can answer some of your questions. I assume that the cruise tour is the same as the offering through the Tattoo website.

The following addresses the dress code:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186525-i108-k10456702-Dress_code_for_Royal_Gallery_at_the_Edinburgh_Tattoo-Edinburgh_Scotland.html

Just do it! We did it in the Royal boxes and had absolutely no regrets! It was so memorable! Just do it! We chose seats in the back as protection against the rain, and we saw everything perfectly! Just do it! You will love it!!!

Just do it! We did it in the Royal boxes and had absolutely no regrets! It was so memorable! Just do it! We chose seats in the back as protection against the rain, and we saw everything perfectly! Just do it! You will love it!!!
Thanks for taking the time to reply to my questions. Did you reserve your seats when you booked the excursion? What were your seat numbers?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Forums mobile app

Have you checked out the FAQs on the Tattoo website? It might answer some of your questions regarding the Royal Gallery & champagne reception: https://www.edintattoo.co.uk/hospitality/frequently-asked-questions

There is also some info on Tripadvisor regarding the dress code. You can also post your queries on TA (Scotland forum) and hopefully a local can answer some of your questions. I assume that the cruise tour is the same as the offering through the Tattoo website.

The following addresses the dress code:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186525-i108-k10456702-Dress_code_for_Royal_Gallery_at_the_Edinburgh_Tattoo-Edinburgh_Scotland.html

This information is very helpful. Thanks for sharing it. I really appreciate it

• 4 weeks later...

My friend and I sat in the Royal Gallery in August, 2016. FANTASTIC!!!

We bought our tickets directly from the Tattoo website....we became a Friend of the Tattoo first so we could purchase the tickets before the public.

The seats were so comfortable (stadium seats, not bleachers) and we got a lap blanket (didn't need it, though). There was a gift bag on our seats too. We got refreshments and it was a fabulous view of the ceremony.

People sitting in the Royal Gallery were dressed up more than others attending. We took some fancy shoes in our bag to change into. Many of those in the gallery were British military and looked so cool in their uniforms! The guy sitting in the middle is called the Salute Taker. He stands up and salutes each act. Ours was an American Army general!

After the Tattoo's over, the reception/party starts. We met many interesting people from all over the world! The general was introduced to everyone but no one went over to see him....so, I went over and introduced myself as a fellow American....he, his wife and daughter were so friendly and we talked for quite awhile.

My only caution would be that by the time we left, no one was out on the streets! We were planning to catch a cab back to the ship's tender dock but walked up and down streets for a long time before finding a hotel that let us call a cab.

This was a very expensive experience but TOTALLY WORTH IT!! Have fun!

Go-Bucks thanks for taking the time to reply to my question. You have given me a lot of wonderful information. My wife has also read your reply and adds her thanks to mine.

I am planning to book the excursion through the Princess website as soon as it is offered.

The excursion also includes transportation which is a nice bonus. We are looking forward to seeing the Tattoo. It will be a fantastic way to celebrate our anniversary!

My only caution would be that by the time we left, no one was out on the streets! We were planning to catch a cab back to the ship's tender dock but walked up and down streets for a long time before finding a hotel that let us call a cab.

This was a very expensive experience but TOTALLY WORTH IT!! Have fun!

I'm very surprised to hear that. The city is really bouncing in August and there are events going on well into the early hours. For anyone else reading this, you might be best to put one of these numbers in your phone 0131-555-5555 or 0131-777-7777 or 0131 229 2468 and call a taxi yourself