Best Walking shoes

CruisinA40

I was wondering everyone’s opinion on the most comfortable walking shoes. I had a problem with swelling and pain on my last cruise in October and I wore a good pair of ASICS and sketchers flip flops. I’m trying to avoid and ankle pain and leg swelling. Thanks in advance. :cool:

I"ll second the idea of wearing compression socks. Even before my knee injury I had a tendency to swell in my lower extremities, but after my knee injury I became more aware of swelling prevention, and compression socks are a big huge help to avoid swelling in the lower legs. I have some wool blend socks from Sockwell brand (purchased on Amazon) that are excellent. I also purchased some cotton blend sleeves from crazycompression.com which are super fun in colorful designs. I'm not as big of a fan of the sleeves, but they do work better than nothing if you are wearing sandals. I found that with the crazy compression brand, I prefer the black based products as the elastic is black and so the color seems more "true" when it stretches...the other colors are with a white elastic and so the color fades a lot and looks all stretched out with the white elastic showing through the colored yarns. I do have larger calves though...so YMMV.

Everyone's feet are different so "comfortable" is going to vary a LOT among us. Best advice is to get a bunch of "comfort" brands and TRY them on. (I don't have access to a lot of stores so I tend to order a ton online and send back what doesn't work - it's far easier for me than driving 100+ miles and NOT finding what I want in a store)

Do you want warm weather, cold weather, rain, sand, cobblestones?

In cold/wet weather, I tend to prefer a goretex walking shoe. My current version is from Haglofs, a german brand. I've had Merrells (most don't fit me anymore - the arch is too far forward for my foot - but some of the more athletic/hiking options still work), asolo & lowa brands. I like Keen boots (sized up a half size) but cannot wear the sandals.

In the summer, I wear birkenstocks a ton but they're not great if I'm walking more than 2-3 miles. For "day long" adventures, I have some dansko sandals I adore - lace up so I can adapt if my feet sweel. Thick sole not affected by surfaces. I have a couple other sandals I like for standing but less walking - Ecco, Taos. I also have a water shoe/ sneaker by Chaco that is nice - esp for theme parks. If I know I'm going to be doing a TON of walking, I can wear an ankle sock to better prevent rubbing. If I'm going to get wet, no socks (or, I can take the socks off and put them in a pocket in my bag...)

Anyone familiar with The Walking Company website? They specialize in comfort shoes for all kinds of feet. Expensive, but if you have foot problems, you know you're going to have to pay up. An added bonus for me is that their warehouse is about 5 miles from my house and they have a huge warehouse several times a year. Some of the brands I've tried and liked from their sales are Abeo and Aetrex. I got a pair of Dansko-type shoes that were very, very cushy in a brand called Gray's Anatomy.

I also find that Ryka shoes are good for my feet and they are not as expensive as some other brands. I bought a pair of Ecco last year and was disappointed - kind of stiff with very hard soles.

I needed new exercise shoes and was having a problem finding something locally (and old options weren't working either). Went to a walking company in Seattle on vacation last fall, tried on every exercise shoe in my size and came home with a lovely pair of abeos that don't hurt my feet when I'm on the treadmill ;-) Try try try!!

Anyone familiar with The Walking Company website? They specialize in comfort shoes for all kinds of feet. Expensive, but if you have foot problems, you know you're going to have to pay up. An added bonus for me is that their warehouse is about 5 miles from my house and they have a huge warehouse several times a year. Some of the brands I've tried and liked from their sales are Abeo and Aetrex. I got a pair of Dansko-type shoes that were very, very cushy in a brand called Gray's Anatomy.

I also find that Ryka shoes are good for my feet and they are not as expensive as some other brands. I bought a pair of Ecco last year and was disappointed - kind of stiff with very hard soles.

Yes, we have a Walking Company and last summer I posted a thread about a pair of shoes I bought from them.

I used them for a cruise last year.....one of the best purchases I have ever made........I bought The Abeo's. I got a black pair and used them for every port. I am going on another port intensive cruise this summer and will be taking them with me again.:)

• 2 weeks later...

Another vote here for Abeo shoes from the Walking Company. I have some walking sandals of theirs I liked so much that I bought the same style again when I had worn the others beyond their serviceable looks. I also have a wonderful dressy pair of Abeos I use for formal nights and cocktail parties, etc.

I thought changing shoes each day would be good too but that is not so.......my ABEO's were PERFECT for my walking every day:)....my cruise was VERY port intensive...off the ship many days in a row. I was doing ALOT of walking and so the walking shoes were the right thing for me.:) But once back on the ship, those shoes did come off and sandals were put on:D....so I really think the alternating of the shoes depends on the person.

I like the Easy Spirit Traveltime slip-on mule/clogs. They are the most comfortable shoes ever. Bealls Florida has some super cute styles that are made for them. You can get them on Bealls website but they a cheaper to buy them on eBay under the user name beallsflorida.

For swelling and pain, elevate the end of your bed when sleeping and flex your feet before getting out of bed. Look for Plantar Fasciitis exercises. I don’t have PF but the exercises really help during walking vacations.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

are they the abeo avids? I've been looking at those on the website for a while

avids? I don't know....is that the style name? These are quite lightweight but VERY supportive.....:)

I will look at the website and see if they are the one's I own.........ok, I found the one's I have and they are called

"Action".....and I even had written a review on them too!

• 3 weeks later...

Love my Hotters at hotters.com. English company that has websites for GB, USA, Eur, and DE. (I know that DE is in the Eur, but that's how their websites are listed.)

Wonderful shoes that also come in wide width.

Here is the USA website: https://www.hotter.com/us/en.

Currently running 25% off and free shipping. Free exchanges.

You MUST try on the shoes, and walk, run, or dance in them...whatever activity you'll be using them for. Don't just "stroll" around the store...walk fast, stop, turn, whatever you might do in real life.

A shoe that fits you shouldn't need to be "broken in"...it should feel good right away.